The Really Super Scenic Route - 100 Mile Running event in Santa Anas Nov 18/19

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by MattB, Nov 12, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 11-18-17
  1. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    A fellow mountain biker Facebook friend got a heads up about this event along with a request to share it with the local mountain bike community, so what better place than imtbtrails to spread the word?:)

For anyone planning to ride in the Santa Anas November 18th or 19th, prepare to be humbled by about 105 runners who are participating in the Chimera 100 running race:eek:! There are 100K and 100 Mile options ... so something for everyone;).

After stumbling across an off road marathon when we did our Holy Jim/Trabuco loop, I appreciate the organizer reaching out to other trail users to give us a heads-up, and also thought it would a good idea for us to post up any upcoming events on our local trails so that people can either adjust their plans or be prepared to defer to them on the trail and cheer them on. It can be a bummer to arrive to a trailhead only to find closed trails, or feel like you're going to be in the way of something special that people have been training for. Would it make sense to add events like this to the calendar so there's one place to check for any events that we might want to know about before we head out to the trails (even if they're not events we're participating in)?

So you know where they'll be starting at 6AM on 11/18 and continuing into 11/19, here's the basic route:

They'll be starting at Blue Jay at 6AM on 11/18, then:
    Down the San Juan trail and back up,
    down Chiquita to the candy store and back up to Blue Jay
    up Main Divide to Trabuco
    down Trabuco and up Holy Jim
    up Main Divide over Santiago Peak to 4 Corners and back (with a detour to the top of Modjeska Peak)
    Main Divide to Indian Truck Trail
    down Indian Truck Trail to Corona and back up
    Main Divide back to Blue Jay

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 11.57.58 AM.png

100 Miles and 22,000' of climbing ... @mtnbikej, I think they just planned the route for your next death march for you:Roflmao

I checked out their website out of curiosity and disbelief. There is a 35 hour time limit, and the top finisher last year did it in 23 hours!

http://www.oldgoatraces.com/races/chimera-100/

If you ride out there that weekend be sure to cheer them on and give them all the trail courtesy they deserve!

2. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Sorry, is there a way to move this to the Trail Conditions forum? That's where I was trying to post it.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Done! :)
    Mikie

Edit: Shouldn't this go in Trailheads as an invite?

4. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Thanks for the heads up.

Props to runners. No props to commercial event organizers who don't fulfill their FS agreement to pick up after the event, and I can't think of a more glaring example than old goat.

5. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I wasn't thinking of it as an invitation ... but maybe I'm underestimating our members' trail running abilitieso_O. It was more of just a heads up in case people wanted to factor the event into their decisions on where to ride next weekend ... the dirt and weather conditions may be great, but expect a lot of runners:), especially on San Juan the morning of 11/18 before they have a chance to spread out.

I'm fine with wherever it make sense to park the thread - Thanks Mikie!

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Ahhh! I get it! :thumbsup:

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    I did a 3mile trail race yesterday and am struggling to move today. Good luck to the animals.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    This is so cool!!! Not something I could ever do, but gotta admire those who can. 130 miles on my bike is nothing compared to 100 miles running on a trail with ups and downs.

scan, kioti, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Do they need trail volunteers?

MattB and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Volunteers are the key to successful trail races. Some volunteers are not even runners. They make to the choice to help just because! If you are interested in volunteering please email me and I will put you in touch with the volunteer chief > ultradawg@gmail.com

bvader, MattB and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Now it makes sense as to why SJ was poorly brushed in some of the upper sections. Brushed enough for runners, but still pretty tight for riders.

kioti, MattB and Cyclotourist like this.
  12. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    That makes sense. If I remember the Facebook post correctly, they mentioned some work they had done on SJ and a fallen tree they had cleared.

13. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    How many runners usually do this event.
    I remember riding skyline in big bear and there was a trail run like this one. Runners were really spread out so not much of an issue. Probably was further along on the course I guess.

Cyclotourist and MattB like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

Limit of 150 runners

Faust29, Cyclotourist and MattB like this.
  15. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    In his FB post he said they would have 105 runners on SJ from 6am-2pm on the 18th. Sounds like they weren't at the 150 runner limit yet as of last week (or maybe 105 was a typo). I agree that I would think they would spread out later in the course, but I would personally stay clear of SJ that morning since they start off with descending it and then going back up. They won't be spread out yet and they're going both ways on the trail. I'm also assuming 2pm is just an estimate and not a cutoff for that section, but I don't know for sure.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Wow... That route is roughly double their normal brutal course of 50/13000, which has been done in the 7 hour range. o_O

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and MattB like this.