The Plan Evolved...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1019692500

I hadn't ridden since the mini- death march to San Juan last weekend. The stars just did not align this week, so I really wanted to get some miles in. I rolled from the house a little before 7:00 and headed into O'Neill. O'Neill is my gateway to a lot of different rides... Whiting, Luge, Old Camp, Harding, and a bunch of others. It was low 50s with a very heavy marine layer when I hit the Live Oak warmup climb.

It was damp and spooky. B&W seems appropriate.
    IMG_0044.jpg

These guys were out in force today!
    IMG_0047.jpg

After cresting Vista, I had the bright idea to drop down the beginning of the Vista DH and then up the cheater drop-in. The DH part was fine. The cheater drop-in was completely grown over, and I was covered in bugs in a few seconds. To the point that I got off, cleaned the bugs off, and walked through the weeds. Great start! :D

Down the rest of Live Oak, out onto Santiago Canyon, and where to go next... ? I thought about an Old Camp run, but that seemed a little short. I also thought about jumping into Whiting, but I really wanted to get up into the mountains. Harding? Hmmm... Harding was certainly a possibility, and then it dawned on me that I've never done Maple Springs from the house. Settled. Head down and pedal... It was roadie time! :D

Decision time once again... I hit Silverado Canyon and briefly entertained the idea of heading up Black Star. Then I saw the cars full of hikers. One after another... No thanks. Maple Springs it is!

Decision Time Again
    IMG_0049.jpg

I started with two bottles on the bike, and 48 ounces in the pack. In cooler temps that would get me just about anywhere on the mountain. Unfortunately, it was heating up fast... So, I stopped at the Silverado Store for an extra bottle and headed up the canyon.

It was peaceful... A few roadies, a couple cars, and that was about it. Until I was about 1/2 mile from the gate. I heard a familiar voice coming up from behind. :cautious: Anybody know this guy? He hung with me all the way to Four Corners. :p He was saying something about going to a birthday party on the other side of the mountain. Sounds sketchy to me. :cautious::p:D

IMG_0056.jpg

Maple Springs sucked. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to experience it at 90 degrees. :gag: The bugs really seemed to like it, though... They were right there to greet us every time we slowed down. The road is also getting really powdery, real fast. There were spots that I heard the "poof" as my front tire sank into it.

I think I made the excuse of wanting to try the new phone's camera, but I really just needed a break. 25 miles and almost 5000 feet by this point.

Motorway in the distance... I like having a real zoom! :thumbsup:
    IMG_0061.jpg

Four Corners was another decision point. I could have hung with Mtnbikej and headed for the Motorway, accompanying him most of the way to his Eagle turnoff. But... It was already over 90 and I really didn't like the thought of riding uphill on Santiago Canyon in those temps. :gag:

Santiago Peak here I come! I topped off one of Jason's bottles with my extra bottle, and we parted ways after a little break. My break ended up being longer, as I strayed to watch the endless stream of 4x4s playing on the little hills at 4 Corners.

I cleared about 80% of the climb to Modjeska, but there were several spots that had recent rock slides. The Jeeps have already packed them down somewhat, but it was extra chunky. Think "surfing on dinner plate sized flat rocks". :eek:

Ugh.
    IMG_0074.jpg

Looking down from Modjeska Peak
    IMG_0077.jpg

My house is on the right side of the lake...
    IMG_0078.jpg

Santiago Peak in the distance...
    IMG_0082.jpg

Holy Jim Fire damage...
    IMG_0083.jpg

I was pretty baked when I left Modjeska and dropped into the saddle. I didn't walk any, but there were a few rest breaks along the way to the peak. And two e-bikes. They flew by uphill, like I was standing still.

IMG_0084.jpg

I hung out at the peak for a few minutes, and then made the drop down to Holy Jim. The bomb craters in the first mile have been filled in with rock. A very wide thick base of rock... That forced me to the outside edges, which aren't in great shape either. Basically, the 1st mile on the way down to Holy Jim is still the most technical part of Main Divide. The steady stream of hikers also kept me in the wrong lines through the chunk... They were all friendly, though. :thumbsup:

Dropping into Holy Jim...
    IMG_0092.jpg

The climb at the beginning of the Holy Jim downhill went quickly, and I was getting off to walk the last little bit when I ran into a threesome of bikers. "Hi, Guys... " And the reply was, "Hey, I know you. Steve, right?" :thumbsup: @CarlS was leading the charge from Blue Jay campground... Nice to see him again. :thumbsup:

If it hadn't been 90 degrees, and I needed to get off the mountain, I would have really preferred going on to Trabuco. But, it was too hot and I didn't have the water to make it 9 miles across Main Divide. I made that mistake last summer... As it was, this was probably my slowest HJ descent. Lots and lots of uphill traffic... All friendly. :thumbsup: HJ was also pretty overgrown... It seemed like I was pushing more foliage away than even last week.

IMG_0096.jpg

Water at the bottom! Yeah... My feet went in there after the bike. I've discovered the therapeutic properties of cold water on long rides! :D
    IMG_0101.jpg

I was up there.
    IMG_0106.jpg

Nerdball Stats...
    Untitled 2.jpg

2. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Ho, man...same comments I made to Jason! (Inspirational, tough to motivate in these conditions, nice job, yadayada...) :thumbsup:

Plus...good on you for the feet soak. Just b/c you can!!!!! TFPU :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Sometimes I don't know if I am more impressed with yours and J's rides or your ride reports. Great job!

4. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Ho hum, another boring and ordinary 6440' at 90° +

Great ride and cool report!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, scan and 3 others like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Good ride, My long rides sound like a warm up compared to yours and MtnbikeJ.
    Good pics!
    @Faust29 Is your new camera a Moto Z?
    I've had the force droid for a couple months, and just last week got the Hasselblad Camera Zoom add on. Nice to have a real zoom for sure.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    iPhone 7 Plus... My 6 Plus died from one too many drops and was out of warranty. I was tempted to switch, but I'm trapped by iMesssage and the Find Friends app.

7. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    2011Trek Fuel Ex9
    Wow, what an adventure" nice read. Good for you to make such an epic ride on this hot day! More power to yah"

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    That Hasselblad looks sweet... That would be my only chance to ever own anything with the Hasselblad name! That's a lot closer to a "real" camera than a phone. I'm just happy to have the 35mm and 70mm capability!

I downsized to a GH4 a couple years ago, and have some decent lenses, but it's still too big to throw in the backpack... That Droid/Blad combo looks great. :thumbsup:

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That Strava screenshot said it was only 77F out, how can we believe you now???

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

That is the avg. temp.

11. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Congrats on being awesome

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    :whistling:

IMG_0107.PNG

Tom the Bomb, Cougar, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    You are officially invited to the next mini death march... Big tires and all!

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Okay, I guess...

15. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I am sitting here carb loading watching TV getting ready for a mini death march from my house tomorrow. With an extra 40lb

IMG_7285.JPG

16. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Why is the left stanchion of your fork clean?

Or maybe the question is why is the rest of it so muddy? Looks like you might have done that before attaching your precious cargo. :thumbsup:

17. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    There's your answer to the "epic ride" question the other day... Every day with little ones is epic. :thumbsup:

18. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    The other day at 7:00am STT/Luge was really wet, the condensation on top of the trail dust made for this really awesome muck I have not clean yet.

I might have wiped off the left leg, then got interrupted before I wiped the right.

19. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Love the unplanned route rides. Just get on your bike and go.Can't go wrong with Santiago Peak for gain and views. Nice report and pic's.

20. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Thanks, Grego! Jason and I mentioned your single speed summit ride when we were crawling up Maple yesterday. I would have been dragging the bike behind me with that gearing!

You need to get down this way for another Motorway run sometime...

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yes, we do!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Grego, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  22. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    My ride was also a crawl. I really need to gear it down somehow then I'd consider hanging with you guys SS style... for some of the ride anyways.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  23. CarlS

CarlS Well-Known Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Hey that was funny we bumped into you. That was the first time that I have been up there in a very long time. That heat sucked the life out of us. We ran out of water. If we had not had some hand outs from a few nice people driving by on MD I don't know if we would have made it. The heat was just unexpected and we were not prepared for it at all. I had always found it cooler up there not hotter. But the worst part for me anyhow was the BUGS! I don't remember there being swarms of biting flies everywhere. I found out half way down Trabuco when I slashed a sidewall that I was in trouble. I got 2-3 bites on the back of my calves while I was patching my sidewall. They made it impossible to rest in the shade. It sucked. I think that was one of the worst rides I have ever been on: overheated, out of water, and being eating alive by biting horseflies.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.