The IT band...

Discussion in 'Health' started by rossage, Dec 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My right IT band seized up yesterday, a few hours after my ride. I can hardly walk right now. Dr. says to take it easy and eat pain meds. I ain't doing that.
    I know the roller was all the rage for ITBS, but it seems to have fallen out of favor.
    Anybody try accupuncture?
    Animal sacrifice? (Couldn't find a virgin)

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I feel your pain! ITB is the worst, I dread flare-ups. It limits me to how long I can ride, and keeps me from riding any longer than 30 miles or so. Road rides with constant repetitive motion in one position are the worst. MTB rides free me up a lot more as I'm moving around, sitting, standing, tucking, clenching all the time. Have to wear cleats to keep my foot in the right position (slightly outboard, heel tucked way far in). If I'm riding free, my foot position goes pigeon-toed and that leads to severe problems. Maybe check to make sure your heel is in/toes pointed out to a 2 o'clock position (right foot) as much as possible. I dropped my saddle a touch as well (5mm).

Only thing that works is stretching before and during the ride. A roller hurts like hell but seems to work. Didn't know they weren't recommended any more. All that and some Naproxen!

Voodoo Tom, Mikie and mike like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Jeezo, bummer, dad – bad juju! What brought it about, just tons of riding?

Good on ya for shunning their pain meds. When you get the okay, light stretches? Sounds like CycloT is on that program.

Stay hydrated and eat well. Rip med as needed. Rip on bike ASAP.

Mikie likes this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I have always wondered why I don't hear more about his? The only two gents I have heard complain about this is Rossage and Mikie. You had better hope it doesn't turn into Pirformis Syndrom, cause that is a real bitch. A good masseuse will painfully seperate your fussed muscles, and it takes more than once. But that costs money, and somebody has to touch you, hope you can find that virgin!

mike, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, I have been riding quite a bit.
    First time for me with this issue. Mine is right at the hip joint, I was told it's more common at the knee.
    Sticking to my tried and true herbal pain meds...about time for another brownie!
    I'm going to see my Chinese doctor tomorrow. He successfully treated my tendonitis with accupuncture a few years ago.
    I live in Alhambra so a good massage is never far away. ...:whistling:

Faust29, mike, hill^billy and 4 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I did do the roller, I think it did help (although I'm pretty sure you looked up to the sky and said,"Did you hear that? It sounded like a mountain biker screaming like a little girl."). The only reason you would say that is because I did scream like a little girl. It was painful. The roller and no riding for 3 weeks was miserable.

Understanding proper biometrics and how I fall out of mine when I'm tired was my salvation. When I get tired I tend to let my knees started pointing outward, thus increasing the potential to irritate my IT Band at my my knee joint. Even now I have slight reminders of IT pain and immediately get back on my proper spinning form.

For me it was my amazing chiropractor Dr. Bob, who I will continue to thank a billion times for his continuous corrections to my bad cycling posture that keeps me in alignment and cycling able. You gotta figure out how your legs move through your pedal spin to stay injury free. Dr. Bob helped define that and my annual injury count from bad cycling form has gone way down!

Faust29, mike, rossage and 5 others like this.
  7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Roller.
    Simple. Painful. Effective.
    Long Time ITB guy.
    You have to stay on top of it. (ITB & Roller)

Mikie, mike and rossage like this.
  8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The roller is hard to stick with but it does work. When it gets bad I find im more willing to let someone else inflict the pain so I let my wife wield the roller or I get the physical therapist to dig in.

My wife's IT locked up a couple days before her Ironman, the PT left extensive bruising but it unlocked the leg and let her race.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Ice is your friend

Mikie, mike and rossage like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I don't know, Scan....Everything I've been checking says heat-unless you have swelling, which I do not. I am a big fan of using ice-in the appropriate situation. Drives my Chinese in-laws crazy!

Mikie likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    For me, this is one of those areas where running helps ... not because of cross training or anything sensible like that, but because when I'm running, I'm better about rolling out the ITB. Haven't been running much lately and on a longer road ride on Sunday, I began to get that tell-tale pain in my left knee. Yep, time to get back on the roller!

Foam Roller, a Haiku
    Foam roller mocks me
    It knows pain I must endure
    Cure worse than disease

12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Also sounds silly but if you are watching TV get down on the floor and just do slow low intensity stretching of all things legs, back and core. Typically a fix for an issue is not solely isolated to where the pain is. Stretching back (careful) quads, hammys, calfs etc. is awesome. Of course I left off the other most important but hard to find. An excellent Physical Massage Therapist can fix so much and provide good guidance. Mine moved away, I haven't been the same since.

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

bvader>What area do you live in? I know someone who is well on his way to master statis. And now that I think of it I know two. I have not used the second guy, but he may be more in your area. Someone who is this good is worth the drive in my opinion!

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ouch! I just made a foam roller out of on old camping mat and some PVC pipe....Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks! I can see me and Mistress Blue are going to have a tortuous relationship....

Faust29, Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I am in Huntington Beach. Feel free to PM me contacts. Thanks!

Mikie likes this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Damn...

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and rossage like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Had to see what it felt like before I actually buy one.

Damn..., indeed...

19. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Roller is worse the tighter you are.. the more you do it the less it will hurt BUT don't over do it to start

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That was a uniquely painful experience and I only lasted a couple of minutes....you can quote me on that one!
    My Chinese doctor broke out an inch thick wooden dowel and went to town rolling my leg using his body weight and my groans as a guide. No accupuncture yet. Definitely feels better but I can tell it's going to be a long haul...
    Had to shave some ass so I could stick some medicated plasters (bao shen gao) over the painful tendon. Provides heat and some pain relief.

21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @rossage, I hope you feel better soon!

Have you considered some of these, often prescribed by Dr. @herzalot, for treatment?
    image.jpeg
    ...and they're GREEN too!

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That which makes you weaker, does not make you stronger. Come back from your suspended fantasy life, where springs and oil cover up lack of skill and upgrades replace serviceable life....
    Funny that this ailment occurred after a purposely slow ride. Gotta quit being so conscientious and just f@cking hammer all the time!

Cisco Roots, Faust29, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Dr. @herzalot .... paging, Dr. @herzalot ...

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    More like "Calling Dr. Curly, Dr. Larry, Dr. Moe!"

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :thumbsup: This approach sounds good

DangerDirtyD and rossage like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    doctor_stooges_2.jpg

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Looks like the ride participants from an Aliso ride!

29. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Out of all the ITB remedies shaving has never come up ... only on IMTB.
    Another advocate for intense pressure via roller, elbow/forearm and proper posture. I've got a good massage therapist here in Orange that is great but I haven't been able to get there for a few months. She finds the points and drives them out but I swear she's got some bony elbows.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't care about skill, I just like having fun on my bike! Going slow and/or getting beat to hell is not fun to me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?