The Bomb Squad double dips Barbara!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner WFO
    Santa Barbara that is!
    I had been itchin for a road trip so I drove up Thursday night after work to my Bro’s pad in Carpenteria to be joined by Big Bad Burt the next morning at 8 at the Romero trailhead. This quick road trip had 3 objectives. One to see my brother, two to beat the Inland Empire heat and three get in some MTB!

The temps on Friday were forecasted to a high of 77. Saturday about 84. Lets do this!

I chased The Burt Man up the Romero S/t to the saddle of the Blair witch trail. Brother John had mentioned he had seen a cool looking trail coming down from a ridge up and to the N.E. of that spot. We looked over and sure enough there it was. Word had it Blair Witch was littered with downed trees and slides from the winter rains so we opted to climb up the ridge and hit new dirt. Turns out this trail was actually the very top of the Romero trail. In thinking back 20 or so years ago I believe I may have ridden it on my first trip out there. Off we go navigating the numerous switch backs and slight overhead overgrowth. We swooped, bobbed and weaved our way down to where the fire road crosses the trail, took a brief food and water break and then dove into the bottom half of the trail . We were both looking forward to this section as this is where things get very interesting. Beautiful rocky outcroppings, creeks and nicely shaded singletrack. Badass chit baby! The Burt man was on fire! Ever since he got that big travel bash machine he has never looked back, I could hardly keep up with him. We get towards the bottom and run into some locals doing some trail work , so Burt obliges them by rolling there handy work. We roll on through the chunk dropping out at the bottom followed by the 3 locals. Unfortunately one of them slid out around a loose ledge and chewed up his arm. He did not seemed to concerned about it so I snapped a pic of him telling him we would give him props on IMTB. We roll out to the cars to hoots and high fives all intact and full of stoke. After a little over 2 hours of climbing and an hour of bombing exhilarating single track, the temps had rose to 90. Since I new I was gonna ride tomorrow and Burt could not spend the night, I told him I was not going to join him on the second half of his plan which was to climb the Romero single track and traverse over and descend San Ysidro! Ya you read that right! That’s Burt, one badazzz MTB’r! So off I go to visit and do lunch with my bro at the Eureka restaurant in S.B.. Burt texts me and lets me know all was good but a little hot as I finish my Salmon and charcoal lemonade. Good to hear. After a short stop at the beach it is back to my bro’s pad to figure out tomorrows ride.

Got it! Romero to Cold Springs loop.

I was a bit hesitant on doing this ride because I was not sure about the road ride back from the bottom of Cold springs. I had visions of heat waves floating across the pavement as I drag my weary toasted body across 5 miles of street back up the to my car. My Bro had not done this loop so he suggested to go see Joaquin at his new bike shop in town, Gonzo cycles. He has ridden it all out here. Joaquin gives me the lowdown and I am feeling a bit better about my planned adventure but not satisfied with my navigation skills and Joaquins directions. I go to the internet. Bingo! MTB project to the rescue. There I find the Cold Springs tour. Complete with gps tracking of me as I pedal. What a great app.! I came across a couple t’s and y’s I was not sure about and just whipped out the phone app and there I am . Never made a wrong turn. Thanks to the Old Pueblo single track I was able to stay high on the mountain and traverse back on a mostly shaded enjoyable trail. I estimate only about a half mile of pavement back to the car. Yaaaaah! This ride turned out to be a great adventure. I would have to say I would have to put this ride in my top 5, It had it all. An interesting note. I did not see one rider descending Cold Springs! It was just me! I did not encounter another rider till I popped out on the San Ysidro fire road at the bottom, a bit eerie on a Saturday! Warning! Cold Springs is not for the faint of heart! This trail is badass rocks, boulders and ledges! Not quite as chunky as Tunnel but pretty close. If this is not your cup of tea stay away!

The MTB gods were watching over me, no crashes, no mechanicals, tons of fun and the temps stayed in the low 70’s with a cool breeze! Saaaweeeet! You ever do one of those rides where you are totally satisfied and worked ragged?
    Yep this was it! I had gotten my fix, good chit baby!

Only wish I coulda shared it with The Burt Man and my Bro. Guess we will have to go back Burt! The route was Up the Romero fire road, up Blair Witch ( that was almost flat), across Camino Cielo to Cold Springs where I took a shaded break at the graffitied water tower, down Cold Springs, down Girard and Lower McMenemy, across Old Pueblo and up Park lane back to the car. Baaaaallllz baby! Mail delivered!

Enjoy!
    TTB

First set of pics are of The Romero Loop.
    Second set is The Cold Springs Tour.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Start of Cold Springs tour.
    IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG
    Continued

2. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Yes sir !! this is a great report @Tom the Bomb this is some good motivation to start the week master Tom !! Hope the rider that made the blood sacrifice heals soon :thumbsup:.
    Bomb-Squad_27775-l.jpg

Grego, rossage, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner WFO
    IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Cisco Roots, Mikie, CBone and 14 others like this.
  4. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Mikie likes this.
  5. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    TFPY, TtB! Nice riding, guys. :thumbsup:

LPNF delivers again. So much out there...

Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Those socks are too frikkin cool @Tom the Bomb:thumbsup:... Great report and that looks to be somewhat within day trip range for a couple of us.

7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner WFO
    My lev has been so good I have not installed it yet.

Mikie and jaime like this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner WFO
    Definitely!

Bluesrider, Mikie and jaime like this.
  9. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Awesome!

Bluesrider and Mikie like this.
  10. burt

burt Well-Known Member

Name:
    burt
    Coldsprings looks hektik af. Thanks TTB!

11. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    There's some chunk and rut action there! Awesome TTB!

Bluesrider, Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  12. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
  13. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Those trails look bad ass! Perfect for the WFO. Thanks for posting TTB.

14. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Much nicer signage since I was there. I am always afraid of north side trails out west, it seems they sprout a whole bunch of poison oak. Oops me bad, I thought you were talking about the cold springs stage road, or what is left of it down to Paradise Valley. Now that is north facing and they grow PO just for fun
    Happy trails on the sunny side of the Bight

15. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    2012 Yeti ASR 5c
    I'm in! Let's haul mail!
    Awesome reportage!

DangerDirtyD and Bluesrider like this.

You can support keeping imtbtrails' doors open at no extra cost to you by purchasing
what you typically already buy at Amazon.com here! No additional cost or fees!
imtbtrails appreciates your support! Thank you!

imtbtrails is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites
to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.