Take a pic get a ticket!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Danimal, Jun 9, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ah yes, Laguna Beach California. This is a special sometimes magical place. Nice beaches, great trails and all in all a pretty nice town. They do occasionally do some odd things.
    Anyone recall the new Smoking law banning smoking anywhere in public? You're allowed to smoke in you home and your car. That's it. Not an issue for most as iMtbTrail members aren't typically the Marlboro type.

But now one that just might effect you. Going for a ride in Aliso Woods and want to take a picture of the group? That's a photo shoot. Ask your girlfriend/boyfriend to stand on a rock at the beach while you take a photo? That's a photo shoot.
    Ah yes, don't forget to buy a permit! And a temporary permit at that. Ho hum. I'll take my chances.....

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/09/laguna-beach-requires-100-permit-kind-photo-shoot-public/

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sounds like Laguna has just become private property. Pretty soon, it will become gated and toll will be required to enter.

mike, kioti, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The comments at the bottom were priceless.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If accurate, this person's take on it seems pretty legit: http://disq.us/p/1jfkm0b

Mikie, OTHRider, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK, first - get off my damn beach you telephoto wielding, light and reflector carrying lowlifes! How dare you park on my street and drag your camera gear down to my beach to shoot people in clothes they really wouldn't wear to the beach? It's an outrage! :eek:

Second - of course we should charge people $1000 fine for smoking. Smoking is bad for you. :confused:

Reality check - neither of those make any sense to me. Laguna is whack. It's beautiful, but it's governed by crazy people with time, money and influence.

Don't worry about taking photos in Aliso however. Really only the Alta Laguna (Top of the World) spot is within city limits, and a few choice trails that drop into the canyon. The rest is either Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel. You won't get a ticket unless you walk in the tide pools or pull out a real camera. God save you if you pull out a real camera and smoke a cigarette before your photo shoot! :stop:

Mikie, OTHRider, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Waaa waaa waaa... someone got busted for taking pictures for profit and now they want to whine about it

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm all for taking the high road when representing our group, but regarding poaching photos in Lag Beach, civil disobedience will be my MO.

Once a Yosemite ranger told me straight-faced that photos which included recognizable formations like El Cap and Half Dome cannot be photographed without a permit. This was while they were roughing up Tom Evans for shooting El Cap climbers so he could give them photos of themselves. GIVE.

Hey, LB and Yo: FY, come and get me.

Mikie, Dismay, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    The way I read the ordinance ( first line is telling) is that if you take a picture you need to pay. In reality its most likely intent is to reduce photo shoots that impede the enjoyment of others trying to enjoy the beach and city.
    Problem I see is the lack of clarification in the ordinance. If you ask me to move for a moment so you can take a photo that is fine, If you ask me to re-locate my beach chair so you can spend 2 hours monopolizing a area of beach, you can go blow yourself. On the other hand, I've been known to photo bomb almost every photographer taking a photo I get in the line of. :)

Public property is just that, for the use and enjoyment of the public. Not to monetize it.

Mikie, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  9. These type of city regulations are nonesensical and ridiculous and should be fought against.

But at the same time you ever been to the beach below montage in early fall 1 hour before sunset? No less than 6-12 professional photographers staging entire bridal parties and family's into a couple tight areas. That sucks also.

City of Newport has been pretty successful of ridding little CDM of photographers in that zone, where it was a problem for beach goers.

Still, I am anti regulation of this type. But if you do know any professional photographers that do these type of family portrait shoots they will tell you how few good spots there actually are and how hard it is to squeeze in. Lots of conflicts between photographers in these special zones with good shaded light.

Mikie, mtnbikej and Danimal like this.
  10. The better question is.... where does the permit money go?

Mikie, mtnbikej and Danimal like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There was a professional photo shoot last year at the beach closest to me of a SMOKIN' HOT woman in various states of swimwear, then less swimwear as the top came off, then ultimately nekkid. Not that I noticed. :geek: :geek: :) :cool:

I was with my wife, so staring was dangerous, and walking around with a pudgy would be in bad form. When we got to the top of the stairs, the cops were there, headed down. Lucky cops! :thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej, Obsidian and 3 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm actually looking forward to the first RR here where a member got cited for taking pics or shooting some vid of the ride.

13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    California governments in general - at all levels - are over the top out of control. Just another reason not to bother with the 30+ mile drive to ride there.

I can take all the pics I want on the FLoop and no one will accost me. :sneaky::cool:

Mikie, Danimal and SnakeCharmer like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    ARE YOU SURE?

Isn't the FLoop inside of da OC? :eek:

It's common practice for other OC cities to join forces, ya know.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Danimal like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Let me rephrase: Highly unlikely any government officer will accost me. Given the stellar upbringing and social strata in which many FLoop users reside, that's another issue. :whistling:

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and Danimal like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You're missing out. Move to Texas or Oklahoma. The terrain there is more Floopy as well.

Mikie, littlewave and SnakeCharmer like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You are so wrong on this point. There's a reason Laguna is an MtB destination and featured in countless videos and product promotions. Criticize it after you give LCWP and/or Aliso a solid try. You may indeed hate it, but at least you'll know that first hand.

PS: 30 miles is nothing more than a daily commute.

Mikie, Severum, Danimal and 1 other person like this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Complete and utter BS. Can a city require a permit for a commercial shoot? Sure. For any other kind of photography? No. Not you taking pictures of your spouse or kids or friends, not for anything where someone is not being paid. And if its for journalism (where a compensated photographer or videographer is gathering material for news or media purposes, even for a travel magazine), then the last part goes out the window too. And, no, it doesn't matter if you're using a flip phone or a $10k DSLR. I'm surprised this crap got by city lawyers - they're just asking to be sued when they accost someone taking vacation photos and demand a permit. (And, yes, I am a photographer, but not the kind that does beach engagement photos.)

mtnbikej, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    california has become the state of over reacting to over reacting. Lead by our moonbeam governor "flush him down, brown"...

All lower case intentional.

I am in complete dismay as to this states position and ability to tax and now "fee" us to poverty.

mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and Danimal like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That'll be $100 for your fist amendment fee please. Make your check payable to "The People's Republic of Californistan..."

The good news is that the absolute extreme craziness that is the subject of this thread belongs to the Kingdom of Laguna Beach and not the State.

21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    This thread is funny.

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Adios amigo...

Mikie, Danimal and mtnbikej like this.
  23. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I am a pretty anti reg type. The reg abuse and enforcement favoritism (prosecutorial discretion) that I encounter daily will make you question if we are truly free. "Show me the man and I will find the crime." Yup, Stalin's side kick Beria said that - but it pervades our regulatory state.

I would have advocated for an annual fee of $100 for professionals... basically requiring a city business permit - with a very hefty fine for failing to do so. The pro photogs utilize the parks, parking, beaches that we residents pay monstrous amounts to maintain and patrol. So the small offset that an annual fee would provide seems like a rational approach.

But, rational (like lunch) is for suckers.

Out. (Look, I just broke the law about one second ago!)

image.jpg

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, this thread has you OCers all flustered.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Danimal like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Over regulation and fees permeate the American Life. Sad but true.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, we got Kern Co. railing as hard as any on this thread...on the state, but hey, LagB is in CA!!!!!!!

Flippant ≠ flustered

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Of course, the the shithitthefan in Laguna Beach.

28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Ambulance chasers don't only go to hospitals; they also patrol City halls for CEQA documents. Hey @rossage, tell us a tale of life in China where regulation, where present, is ignored, so life there must be peachy. I mean, all the best stuff is made in China, and none of it is toxic.

Danimal, mtnbikej, mike and 2 others like this.
  29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    There it's all about who you know, what you want, who owes you, or who do I have to pay and how much?
    Wait...is that here?....or there?

You're talking about a place where they fill structural columns with sand. Where rebar is used to repair broken Flying Pigeon bikes. Where I watched a major sinkhole grow for days, in a major road, without so much as a traffic cone, until a bus got stuck in it. It was repaired by filling it with...sand.

Danimal, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?