Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Getting up to Santiago Peak under your own power is an awesome goal... :thumbsup:

As far as your Tailwind/nutrient questions, I agree with the others. Tailwind really isn't for a "normal" ride. I don't use it if I'm just going to knock out 20 miles and a couple thousand feet (your normal is different...). I might throw some Grape Propel in a bottle and head out. Maybe plain water... If it's 100 degrees, though, I might throw a scoop or two in. It's all trial and error.

What Tailwind (and all the other products...)is really for are the rides where you are pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone- Like a ride to the Peak. There are guys on this forum who could knock out a peak run with a bottle of plain water and be fine. For us mortals, however, we need to replenish. Realistically, you are going to be pedaling uphill for 4+ hours... Maybe more. That means taking in calories, sodium, potassium, and magnesium along the way. I like Tailwind, because I can take it all in at a steady rate, and I've done enough experimenting that I know how much to use for most rides. I still screw up... Like this weekend when I cramped in both legs at 9,000 feet. :oops: Drink every 15 minutes or so, and I usually get what I need. You might want to take real food... Whatever works for you. I think the simplicity of Tailwind is hard to beat.

But, as Scissors says above, I'd give something like Maple Springs a try first. Maybe Black Star, which is slightly easier... Climbing one of them is roughly half of what it will take to reach the peak. Prep a nutrition plan, knock it out, and you'll know how you stand for the full ride. The long sustained mountain climbs are different animals than the local park climbs and they take some getting used to.

2. Danimal, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    But check with doc first and tell him exactly what you're attempting.[/QUOTE]
    Ditto on this!!! Considering your kidney function

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and kioti like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Absolutely. Run through your various nutritional/electrolyte replacement ideas and see what the doc thinks in regards to your personal situation. Tailwind might be too much, whereas enduralytes could be helpful. Cooler weather will be helpful too.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And whatever else you do, for (insert favored deity)'s sake, do NOT pay any attention to how long it takes, other than to regulate your fluid intake.

That will come later. :rolleyes:

Mikie and kioti like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum, after not riding for 5 months and not being in decent shape for awhile before that. Tailwind is great for me because every ride I want to do is out of my body's comfort zone. Steep climbs on every trail I like, and you gotta pedal a certain speed or you're gonna fall over. So I stay on the bike and grind it out as much as possible. And TW keeps my out-of-shape muscles from freaking out.

Old&InTheWay, MattB, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Or beer...it's all about personal preference. :rolleyes:

And the PC Police will step in if we become judgmental. :bang:

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uh, It actually is... but the rest are just opinions...:whistling:

9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And @dustyyoungblood, when you're ready to head up that mountain...no matter how far you plan on going...give a shout out. I'd be happy to join in. It always seems easier when you're shooting the breeze and not paying attention to how steep the climb is. ;)

kioti, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  10. Thanks. I'll make a trial up black star or maple in November to gauge things.

mike, kioti, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    So what’s your plan for coming back down once you get up there? You have some fun options...

mike, kioti, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  12. The go juice arrived in a box from backcountry. Stand by for results. I'll try to pull a double day on Friday.

IMG_8233.JPG

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If you order it from the Tailwind folks themselves, they put your name on the bag where the line is!!! Makes you faster. :p

mike, Faust29, jaime and 9 others like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Just ordered direct from TW my replenishment of Tailwind(s) and also the 7 serving pack for variation.
    Yep, my name will be on the bag, a nice note from the staff and of course my appreciation for them taking the time to add that. That personal touch is lost today on all the online purchases, think of it as the "Thank You, your business is appreciated" that you get when shopping at a store with real people helping you.

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I read this again and laughed even harder!

16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Just got some from IMTBGEAR with my name on the bag, did NOT make me faster!:(

227B6907-1314-413D-82DE-45F67CA9A692.jpeg

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You need to eat a bunch of fish tacos first!

18. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Oh, Okay, thanks for the advice, I will try it this weekend:thumbsup:

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, Luis and 6 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @DangerDirtyD is the LAST person you want to take advice from in regards to Fish Taco's before a ride...:whistling: I know. :x3:

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fish tacos and Tailwind....literally.

Faust29, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    From what I gather eating fish tacos and consuming tailwinds is a safer bet than eating tide pods:confused:.

Old&InTheWay, kioti, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yes but he eat more chicken any man ever seen.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Backcountry apparently totally SUCKS!
    imtbgear and Tailwinds writes your name on the bag to personalize and appreciate your patronage.
    ...and although my cohort here suggests an increase in speed...:cautious::rolleyes: In reality you do gain supah powers to ride longer (and not puke Fish Tacos and Tailwind on that ride).

just sayin'

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That popped up in my playlist yesterday! :thumbsup:

25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Does anyone know ( @mtnbikej ) how the GU Roctane Mix compares to the Tailwind? Ingredients and such. I've used Roctane several times and it does seem to help me, I have a good friend that is sponsored by the GU so she gave me a big tub of it, and the Summit Tea is pretty tasty!

GU-Roctane-DrinkMix-Canister-12Serv---Summit-Tea_large.jpg

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The thing that would make me steer clear is the first ingredient on the label: maltodextrin. I used to get the gut bomb with just about everything I tried, and they all shared that type of starch in common. Tailwind is about the only one without it, and I've never had the gut bomb with it. But... If I scored a free tub, I'd use it! :thumbsup:

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tailwindz also works well as a cleaning agent. Drink up and clean stuff you never have. :sneaky:

28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I mixed some in my 24oz. bottle for the climb up Thomas Mtn to the Ramona Trailhead the other week, I felt no gut bombing going on with me on the climb....maybe my old school Roach Coach days hardend my belly up! LOL

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @dustyyoungblood - Any progress on your goal of getting to the peak?

mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I haven't used the drink mix.....back in the day tried the Gel, but it was much too strong.

I don't like that they rely so much on Caffeine.....3 out of the 4 flavors have it.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?