Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    bartender says..

Mikie, herzalot and Danimal like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    "One of you is a damn, dirty cheater..."

Danimal likes this.
  3. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Tailwind says, "I just need some water."

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Chuck Norris drinks the Tailwind, slams the glass on the bar, and kicks the Sh!t out of Lance.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Chuck Norris orders a milk, and nobody says a word.

Ima gonna drink the tailswind today on my bike ride!

Danimal, Mikie, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Red flag alert this weekend. Strong chance of TAILWIND

Mikie, herzalot, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well I was drinking the Kool-Aid but forgot to order some this week. I went on my ride today with old school GU. I took along the caloric equivalent of the amount of Tailwind I would have used. Today was definitely confirmation that Tailwind works. With GU I was hungry at about the third hour and felt a little worked after my ride. Of course there could be many factors that play into this but I'm going with Tailwind works better. For me anyways.

mtnbikej, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yep, them darn Santana's are really warm! :eek:

tail wind.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And then the rabbi kicks him (Lance, not Chuck) in his non-existent pelotas. Or juevos, if you prefer.

I detect a faint anti-Lance bias here...not quite sure though. :p

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ahem!

Santana is a righteously good, cool band.

Santa Anas are some righteously badass winds.

You're welcome. :geek:

Sidewalk, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL!

I can't believe it, I finally get to correct you. :rolleyes:

The term "Santa Ana winds" comes from the Latin word Santana, which translate to "Devil's breath" or "hot winds". :cool:

It's you OCers who mixed it all up and tried to take credit for the term. :p

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fixed it for ya!!:Roflmao

The rest of the Wikipedia entry notes that it much more probably is named after Santa Ana Canyon, since that's the area they howl through. And see http://people.atmos.ucla.edu/fovell/LATimes_SantaAna.html

13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That's saying that they are one in the same. I am POSITIVE that the Latin name Santana came before the name Santa Ana (which is actually just some Gringo's mispronunciation), therefore I WIN!!!

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yeah, while that's a righteously attractive A** on her!

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    What was this thread about? Oh yeah, I remember.

So Thursday ride, no Tailwind. Cramped after the ride and in the middle of the night. Yesterday, similar conditions, duration, bike set-up and intensity, a small bottle of Tailwind on the ride and another after I got home.. and no cramps whatsoever.

littlewave, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read somewhere that you should never mix Tailwind with fish tacos.

17. I have some serious questions about nutrition and tailwind.... maybe a new thread is in order

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    dustyyoungblood likes this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Or, since this is the Tailwind thread, just post the question and perform a re-rail at the same time. :thumbsup:

UPSed, Faust29, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  20. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I'm already a Tailwind addict, but I'll add another testimonial. I used it at the Whiting Poker ride, which you think would not warrant it, but I decided to add a few extra miles and ride the Luge as well since@Cyclotourist had never been to either place before, and we needed more dirt to make the hour drive worth it. But the kicker was how hot the ride the got since we didnt start until 9am and the higher than normal humidity than us valley dwellers we are used to, really made me sweat my ass off. I could taste the salt in the sweat streaming down my face out on Santiago on the exposed climbing to the Luge flag. Even if the electrolytes are bullshit, the sugar really helps out, since I hate stopping to eat when I ride, or I forget to eat at planned intervals, and I bonk later in the ride or shortly after. I will sometimes after a short while or as I get back to car I might drink half a bottle of Tailwind at the ration of 2 scoops to 21 oz of water, to prevent cramping later on in the day.

UPSed, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 2 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    And @riiz generously gifted me his extra TW stash, as I didn't plan well enough and a Cliff bar didn't cut it that long after eating breakfast.
    So he didn't get his post-ride recovery drink, and bam, big cramps when we got back home!

22. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I still had a little when I got home, but the hamstrings cramps were very minor, and were the result of not stretching before sitting in your car for an hour on the way back, they were gone within minutes and they never bothered me again or felt sore. I felt great the rest of the day, watched my daughter's soccer game at 3, and attended a BBQ that night, feeling 100%.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Shoot! Maybe you'll get an answer before we re-derail.

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Once that mixture was expelled, I chugged the second half of my 20 oz. bottle of the Tailwind (caffeinated berry-something) and bounced back to finish the ride. Yea, I was in granny gear, and the power was gone, but with leverage thanks to a 22x36 granny, I was able to spin the rest of the way without cramping. I felt the lactic acid going up the stairs that night, and the next night as well, but no muscle spasms! :thumbsup:

Pretty much the way I plan to use it is only on [longer or hotter] rides that would require more than up to 3 liters of water that I would typically put into my hydration pack.

25. Beware, super long winded post. Sorry, but I don't know how to get the advice I desire without a full disclosure. Is there a Dr. in the house? Simple questions follow down below.

Background info:
    Duration-
    Most of my rides do not exceed 2 hours. 2 rides a month I will exceed 2 hours, but not more than 3. This is most often a symptom of being a father of 3, not because I don't want to or am not capable of rideing longer and further. However, at 1.5hours I will start feeling fatigue in my legs, and I will start cramping. Often cramping back muscles, hands, legs.

Health-
    I have been getting blood work done over the last 2 years to monitor " "slightly low functioning kidneys and liver". This followed a diagnosis of "fatty liver" when I was 30 pounds heavier around when I got my appendix removed at 40. 42 now. Doc says my liver and kidney numbers do show slight low function, but to not be concerned and continue exercise, more water, and avoid large servings of protein at one time. Re test blood in 1 year. I might be wrong, but I think this explains why I feel like I don't recover as fast as I would expect to.

Nutrition-
    I don't usually eat when I ride. I will often eat a stinger waffle before I go out. But I don't carry any gooooo, gel or any magic potions. If I plan on being out past 2 hours I will bring a waffle, or some trail mix. Or maybe a banana. Until a few weeks ago I would try to down a large serving of protein in the am or a few hours before a ride. Specifically I had been avoiding sugars and consuming nuts and meats to promote fat burning during my rides. Perhaps unsuccessfully.

1. Should I be using tailwind along with water on my rides?
    2. Should I be eating on my rides, even if only 1.5 hours?
    3. What am I missing in terms of nutrition and hydration?
    4. My year end goal is to reach Santiago Peak, which will be much more climbing and perhaps plus 1-2 hour past my comfort zone . What are some specific tips for what will be a longer day than most?

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As you work up to it I suggest this:

Most direct route to the peak is Maple Spring, assuming you don't want to use Harding.

Eat a good breakfast. Oatmeal works for many. Drink one small bottle TW before you start climbing.

Fill a bottle with Tailwind, take another with plain water.

Ride up MS until you feel you're almost done, can't do more. Ride back down.

Do it again the next weekend, go a little farther.

Rinse, repeat. Before you know it you'll be at the peak.

This worked for me, YMMV. Go for it!!

But check with doc first and tell him exactly what you're attempting.

MattB, kioti, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Under 2 hrs....you really don't need TW. The way your body processes the calories, anything you take in in the last hour really won't benefit you during the ride, but will help you feel better post ride. Down a gel at the 45 min mark and you should be good.

Over 2 hrs....definitely. Run it in your water based on 2 scoops per hour. You really don't need water....you're getting your liquids with the TW.

Try drinking a small bottle(20 oz.) w/ 2 scoops of TW about 15-30 mins before the ride. This is a kind of a primer for your system.

Proteins are hard to digest, and takes a lot of those calories to process those proteins. It doesn't do you much good right before a ride. So your system is taking a lot of energy to process your large serving of protein, instead of you using it during exercise.

Some sugars are beneficial, especially during exercise.

We are all built a little different. Serving sizes vary from rider to rider. Some people can get away with water a gel on a 4 hr ride, whereas others need a 12" Subway Club after 1 hr. :rolleyes:

Cramping is usually an effect of hydration/electrolytes, but can also be caused by intensity. If you are only used to 2 hr rides at a fast pace, then try to do a 3 hr ride at that same intensity...there is a good chance you'll cramp. The muscles just aren't trained for the time/intensity. Try backing off the pace on the bigger rides until your body gets used to the longer saddle time. You don't mention anything about electrolyte replacement during the rides. You are sweating out, but not replacing the sodium/potassium. Mixing in an electrolyte drink could also help that out(HEED, Skratch, GU Brew, etc.)

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    MattB, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Danimal, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I find that in weather like we are having as I type this (hot, dry, windy/Santana's) we are already dehydrated to an extent before we even start a ride. Therefore, I cannot stress enough how important it is to drink-drink-drink all day long in weather like this. Whether you are exerting yourself or sitting on your ass, drink-drink-drink. Drink WATER. :D

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?