Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Is it a bad thing that I only had a 3rd of a bottle (8 oz) climbing Harding yesterday?o_O

I really have to remind myself to drink enough, particularly when it's not hot.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I tried Tailwind for the first time today. I bought two "individual serving" packs at a running store after my ride yesterday. Green Tea was all they had.

Directions said one package for 24 oz of water, so I filled my Camelback bladder a little over half and dumped in both packs. Then shook vigorously. It dissolved completely and nearly instantly. That's good. I neglected to sample it. That's bad.

Off I went. As I began my ride I took my first couple of pulls of the magic elixir. YEOOWWW! Waaay too sweet. I needed water to rinse my mouth. Tasty though. I continued drinking it with the same frequency I would have had water. I was sooooo glad to get to the drinking fountain at Alta Laguna to get some actual water!

That's pretty much my report. I will try it again, hopefully in the "naked" flavor and far more diluted. If I still find myself craving water, I'll have to bail. I can't fit a water bottle on my bike, and I don't have a dual bladder hydration pack.

As for energy... I didn't notice anything in particular today. I rode about as strong (read "weak") as I normally do. My legs felt fairly strong at the end, and since I rode yesterday, maybe that there is an accomplishment. Jury's out.

I poured the remaining into a water bottle and put it in the fridge. Will it be OK for a week?

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, kioti and 6 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I found that Skratch had a sweeter taste to it, unless you really watered it down.

Are you used to only drinking water on the rides? If that is the case then, yeah...it's gonna take a little getting used to only drinking TW.

Rides under 2 hrs, usually you can do half the recommended dosage. The TW you drink the last hour of the ride, doesn't really help during the last hour of your ride. By the time it gets processed, you are done.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

My experience (and YMWV) is that anything under about three hours, unless it's tres short, punchy, and repeat stuff, is water only. Using Tailwind or anything else doesn't really help; I'm operating on what I have stored from breakfast. You didn't mention how long you were out there unless I missed it somewhere.

But then, I'm part camel also and tend to climb 3,000 feet on half a bottle of water. :unsure:

mike, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I do 2 scoops per 24oz of water (I think it's one packet = one scoop), I've only ever used the lemonade flavor. I go through a bottle every 2 hours. It should keep for a week in the fridge, ya. I do like having water for the longer rides to help cut, but man 1 scoop per 24oz doesn't taste right ;) eheh

Good luck experimenting!

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    How is that not just sugar paste?

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    For my bigger rides I do 3 scoops per bottle. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I accidentally did 1 scoop a few weeks ago and it was sooo watered down >.< I wonder if the Green Tea is just sweeter. Dunno.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I found that Green Tea was not sweet at all.

10. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I've found the Berry tastes sweeter than the Mandarin Orange, despite having the same amount of sugar in them.

Has anyone tried the Caffeinated flavors yet, I'm gonna buy the 7 pack sampler and see if any peak my interest?

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The Green Tea I had today was caffeinated... And very sweet.

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Get naked, bro.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I find that anything with caffeine in it has a metallic aftertaste. I tried Tropical Buzz, Berry Buzz and Green Tea.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I like all of the caffeinated flavors... I usually buy a large bag of whatever flavor catches my eye, and a sampler pack to mix things up on longer rides.

And @herzalot - for really intense rides, I might use as much as 4 scoops per bottle, usually with plain water as a chaser. Flat rides and cooler weather call for 1 scoop for me.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    For my 140.6, I had a bottle just for the ride nutrition that was several scoops of the fuel I was using, while the other two bottles on the bike I refilled with water only at the aid stations. I would just take gentle sips of the rich bottle every 10-20 minutes, drinking from the water bottles when I was thirsty.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Exactly my methodology for harder rides... Not all the time, just for those extra special suffer fests. I may employ it this weekend at Wrightwood. The first 3.5 miles are brutal. You may spin up it, but I'll be pushing my bike... :p

17. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Same here, if I put it into a bladder that I will be drinking off of all day, it will get maybe 50% of the normal bottle dosage. Or I carry a 32oz bottle of Tailwinds at full strength and a 24oz bottle of plain water. I'm a heavy sweater, so I'll consume too much sugar if everybottle I carry is full of Tailwind.

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm currently planning on bringing powder and only carrying a single bottle. I'll refill on course. Not my solid plan yet, but the refill spots look close enough together to let me run one bottle.

I've also got gears, SS get a pass on HAB.

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    On long rides using only tailwind, do you guys not get hungry?

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Not really. I get the calories my body needs. I tend to back off towards the end of the ride, so I can usually put down some food post ride.

It took a little getting used to at first. I thought I’d get a lot more hungry on the rides, but it was more a mental hurdle than physical.

21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Post ride recovery drink?

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I'll mix in some PBJ just to keep my stomach going...... I tend to run TW in lower dosages then most (1.5 scoops per bottle).

23. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yes, I do get hungry. I originally tried to go sans food, but anything over the 5 hour mark I usually will need to eat a protein bar, PB&J, or something similar.

I think all of these various opinions/case studies point out that hydration/nutrition vary quite a bit from person to person and will need to be figured out per user :) At least the shared knowledge here can give you things to try if you haven't quite found what works for you or not yet.

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I gots me the Tailswind, but I ain't got no ride worthy.

Old&InTheWay, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I don't think TW is really worth taking unless for all-day exertion or pushing hard for some kind of goal. IMO, it's just too expensive when food will do essentially the same thing for average rides. I do think it has value for quick recovery. I think TW before the ride is as important as during if the ride is of short duration.

26. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Damn it guys, enough already, why are we still on topic?

27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Because, when you drink the Kool-aid, you must spout the dogma.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It's a no-brainer for me. It's cheaper than Clif bars and Gu and I don't have to stop to consume it.

HBkites, MattB and Cyclotourist like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I don’t get hungry. I have done 4, 5, & 6 hour rides and take on food after... or not.
    I think that is what I have been trying to convey all along is that for me it is a food supplement. I hate eating on the trail, to the point I “would not” eat and then bonk!

HBkites, MattB and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Have you heard of the TW diet?? TW 3x a day, and 1 powershake in the evening. Lose as much weight as you want! Oh , it's also a great chain lube!!:Roflmao:Roflmao:)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?