Suspension performance: Single pivot Vs everything else (a story of kinematics and acronyms)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dustyyoungblood, Dec 7, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    You've made this statement and it is this statement that I disagree with.

"Tire, tire pressure, rider position, geometry, and damper tune each benefits that sort of braking performance far more than the linkage design does.

This whole thread's point actually is about how people are misled to believing that bicycle suspension systems are/aren't responsible for certain characteristics, when it's essentially only really responsible for managing the up-and-down movement of the rear wheel."

Given equal wheelsets, tires, optimal tire pressures, etc. a bike with no linkage would not outperform one with modern suspension over vary terrain, and that is a fact.

I believe you are misleading yourself into thinking that suspension design have so little weight in the overall performance of the bike. Plainly said, your views on single pivot seem more curated internet theory distilled into 2 lines of well worded sentences. For me, I'd take the fallible experienced view over the well worded ideas any day. Education is not binary and dissenting views are not foolish. You should strive to stack your education against others and either build on them or strengthen your own position.

2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I think you went to the far edge or the argument. Yeah, all things being top notch, good modern linkage suspension design will be better than single pivot.
    I think he was playing in the middle ground, where "Tire, tire pressure, rider position, geometry, and damper tune" can make single pivot pretty damn good.
    So dont assume that just because its single pivot, its junk...or has brake jack and bobs. etc.

Or I just read it all wrong.....

Hardtails FTW!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Torrent77 does not understand how @Varaxis is wired. Our man Dan (Varaxis) is the most consistently pure empiricist I've ever (not actually) met. He has frequently reminded us that those who use subjective data are uneducated, ignorant, delusional simpletons. I admire his consistency and his stalwart belief in the permanence of physics, and separation of science from human experience. In Varaxis' point of view - no not just point of view - core - nearly every experience can be quantified and extracted from human experience to prove better or worse. Since most of the rest of us just repeat what we've heard (brake jack or clip-in pedals for example) or what we think we've experienced, it's always impressive to see Varaxis debunk our myths with relatively complicated explanations of the physics involved.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My endos have never been caused by braking - well except the first time I rode a neighbor's Schwinn Lemon Peeler when I was 10. My MtB endos have always been caused by the stopping of forward momentum of the front wheel by objects not on my bike - rocks, logs or the ground itself (angles). These days, my OTBs are more often oblique - caused by losing the front wheel off to one side or another followed by a diagonal get off.

Torrent77 and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    My last endo was because my 26 inch wheel went into a 27 inch hole of rock on a trail named car wreck. I then proceeded to go over the bars land with my leg through my forward triangle and ended sitting on my rear rotor with my bell rung, and saying, "Do you guys smell something burning?"

I have witnesses.

6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    You were a couple bike lengths in front of me. I thought you were going to be dead after seeing your feet and bike fly up in the air and then you landing on that rock garden... one of the worst looking crashes I've seen, no idea how you survived it. Took some effort to get your foot out of your frame, and to tube the front tire that burped. BUT, you hung in there and got in the picture that is in the upper left corner of the imtbt page.:thumbsup:

Regarding the single pivot, I think we can adapt to just about anything, even low levels of brake anti rise :confused:. Plenty of well regarded single pivot bikes that have very little complaint about brake jack. GG Megatrail comes to mind.

herzalot, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What a coincidence that you brought this up today. I referred to this crash in the ride report I just wrote, and hadn't yet read this. Whoa - coincidence or irony?

Mikie likes this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My old Foes was the 2nd best bike I have owned, and it was a single pivot.

dustyyoungblood, Torrent77 and Mikie like this.
  9. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I've owned many bikes with a variety of suspension designs and at times had three different designs in the garage at the same time (as many of you probably have). I've not objectively measured the performance of each design in any way. That said, short link bikes, particularly DW, perceptually *feel* more efficient to me. Even compared to bikes equipped with Brain or RE:Aktiv, DW *feels* significantly better on flats and climbing. Again, it has been my experience that it's easier to get a single pivot or Horst or the like to feel good descending and those seem to tolerate mis-adjustments of the shock better and feel plusher over a broader range of settings. I strongly prefer a short-link design (VPP, CVA, Maestro or DW) over other designs and the latest short link designs coupled with the current shocks make for beautifully balanced performers and work best of all the designs for those that like to peddle to the top. I rank the latest DW (I think it's 5th generation) at the top and VPP3 (current SC) close. All of them can be made to work beautifully and I'd ride any of them in a heartbeat just to be on the bike! [flame on]

OTHRider, herzalot, Makoto and 3 others like this.
  10. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    My foes was also the 2nd best bike I ever owned. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. "I've not had a bike that stops as well as a split pivot. Rough terrain, loose, loamy, under load, or any circumstance the rear tire makes constant positive contact with the surface without pedal kickback."

This is his opinion, which is 100% true to his experience. Why argue that?

12. More like an ego problem then being more educated than everyone. Good lord.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The rear suspension on my hardtail works great....sometimes it is the tire pressure, sometimes it is the pilot.

I like riding bikes.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I know Dan VERY well. Trust me, it's not an ego problem.:thumbsup: Dan is data driven. I have ridden with Dan many times, found him to be a guy of upstanding character, and extremely humble and have asked him to write several technical articles for the products review site.

Edit Note: Just sometimes misunderstood.

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    All,
    Where do you rank the Yeti "Switch" Technology in all of this? I'm hankering to demo the new Yeti SB5+ now that @UPSed has polluted my mind and I can now not get it out of my head...:eek:o_O:rolleyes::whistling:
    2017_YetiCycles_SB5_Plus_TS_Blk_X01_Eagle-mobile@2x.jpg

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Seems like a maint. nightmare. Adding in 2 more dampers. As well as a location for dirt/mud/crap to accumulate.

It probably rides really nice.

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I regularly love on my bikes, plus I'm pretty confident I will break my bike less then "others" here... :rolleyes::whistling:

Danmtchl and Torrent77 like this.
  19. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    While I deeply respect and value Dan's (AKA Varaxis) insights, I am also not one to kowtow or rubber stamp everything he says. Especially when he states the following...

Nearly every wheeled transport mode uses some type of suspension. Hard tail, FS, and yes even road bikes through use of proprietary carbon layup or varying material sizes and properties (using titanium for example).

At the core, suspensions are the method to place the most amount of grip to the road. Those without swingarms and dampners do it with tire pressures, tread patterns, body movement, etc. But because bike carry so little weight (20-35lbs) in comparison to the speeds they move, suspension is a needed component that lets you brake later, carry more speed, and turn faster. That is why people obsess over rim width, travel lengths, and to a lesser extend kashima coatings.

This is why people are OCD on the latest bike geometry and suspension, not because the greater community falls victim to marketing hype, but because we all want the best performing bike for the pure enjoyment of technical trails, speed, and most of all NOT GETTING HURT by endo, under steer, over steer, etc.

Why am I taking this position? Because braking performance is directly linked to bike performance, and if the tires aren't on the ground, your not going to stop.... period.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Ummmm, yeah. http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/my-2012-yeti-asr5c-is-broke.2673/#post-20518 :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Just because the pro's are running these things without trouble doesn't mean that we everyday Joe's will be able to do the same. We all don't have a mechanic in the pit to tear our bike down and rebuild it in between each ride..

Danmtchl, Mikie and Torrent77 like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I believe it comes down to technique. Granted some suspension designs may do a better job at it than others....all can be ridden equally as fast/efficient under the right pilot.

UPSed, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Almost as fast/efficient.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    OHHhhhhh, are we going to pull imtbtrails ammo out? Uhhh, you know THAT will not go well for you since you pulled up the ONLY time my bike has been broke...;););)

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Aint it great we happen to be a Mountain Bike Forum, otherwise we wouldn't have nothing to talk about! ;):thumbsup: Carry on!

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You said it! Go check your Yeti RIGHT NOW! Do not ride it until you conduct a thorough inspection. If I had a bell, I'd ring it for you to ward off the bad juju.

28. This topic went south... arrrgggh.

A few things to try and reign this back to the OP intent, a basic broad stroke analysis of whether the only real advantage on some multi pivot systems might be "Hard braking in rough terrain"

1. MTB companies are liers and MOST of the suspension claims are false
    2. There are VERY REAL advantages that riders FEEL that lend credit to the suspension design.
    3. Tires and wheel are completely underrated and contribute more to ride performance than most people think.
    4. Body position is very important for each different FS bike you ride. This is real and true that the kinematics of one suspension design requires or is affected by body weight shifts differently.

And a load cell wont tell me Sh!t about the ability of the rear wheel to roll under hard braking of nasty bumps.

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Not necessarily. Based on your 2nd post (#13) you clearly stated that you are only trying to convince yourself of a bike choice. I know this is going to come out simplistic as all hail, but when I was making a tire choice, @herzalot made a statement regarding privateer pros that had to buy their tires, were "buying" Maxxis DHF and DHRII's... That resonated with me. I tried them and have not tried another tire since. Once again, herzalot dropped pro info on yah:

Meaning, you are looking for the panacea of rear suspension to meet your need and riding style. Seems you already have that figured out:
    I'm not smart enough to ride and evaluate suspension systems and relay it here. I just ride bikes. I ride a single pivot and love it! Seriously looking at the Yeti SB series now. But I listen to those that will take the time and go to great lengths to share their investigation, perceptions, and knowledge. I fall back on the fact that you have definitely done your research, go with what you like! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Varaxis posted an acronym. Good save, dood.

Danmtchl, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?