Sunscreen, Who's Using What?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cornholio, May 22, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I've spent a lot of time at the dermatologist's office and tried many sunscreens but still haven't found the "one."

I was on a hunt for Bullfrog today but the grocery, drug and surf shops at the beach didn't have any. Does anyone still use Bullfrog? I've noticed they have a land and sea variety and would like to hear any results from users. I remember Bullfrog being the best when I was growing up and used it a ton as a pool man in the late 90's early 00's.

So what do you use?

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    675504_xlarge.jpg.cf.jpg

I use Banana Boat 50spf Broad spectrum spray. I like the spray better than a a cream so I don't miss any spots. But carry a small tube in my camelbak.

brian1031, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    john_hovard, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My wife loves this stuff.

Mikie, Cornholio, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use the Bullfrog waterproof gel. Used to get it at CVS and the like, last time I found it at Wallyworld.
    I like it because it also seems to keep some of the bugs away-maybe it's the scent?

Mikie, Cornholio, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    They all work about the same for me. I have to say that I cannot stand the "coated" feeling of having sunscreen on my skin, though. Darn Sun!!!

Faust29, Mikie, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Wasn't working for you yesterday mr bugcharmer, just sayin...

Faust29, Mikie, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :Roflmao

Mikie, Cornholio and Danmtchl like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Faust29, MolarM, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Actually, I didn't put any on my legs and that's where those bugs were....I'm just sweetly irresistible!

Faust29, Mikie, Cornholio and 3 others like this.
  11. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I must be a sour b@stard then cause they weren't bothering me, except for when I inhaled em.

Faust29, Mikie, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I admit it...I don't use any.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I finally invested in sun sleeves last year and have been pretty happy with the sun blocking properties.

I use whatever 50+ SPF spray we can find. Right now we have some kids formula and some Sport formula. I like the spray since it's easier to apply to my face and ears. Always make sure I get the back of my neck. I don't use any on my legs.

I admit, I'm not a fan of the feeling of sun screen cream/lotion....feel like I have a shell on or something, especially if it is windy or dusty.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Jack Black ( been using this for years) or Neutrogena, both 50 spf are my go to for the face. anything else will give me pimples.. and I'm 56 so go figure.
    The rest of the body is kind of whatever works. I'm with @SnakeCharmer on this though, the coated feeling of high SPF sunscreen drives me nuts. I'll shower it off as soon as the outdoor activities are over.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I wear arm sun protection at all times, now I am used to it I think I stay as Cool because not all that sunscreen on arms. I trade of between sun sleeves and light /loose SPF LS Jersey.

I use SolBar as "prescribed" by derm. It is serious and works well and does not sting much.

Solbar Zinc SPF 38, 4 Ounce
    http://www.dermstore.com/product_Solbar+Zinc+SPF+38_993.htm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UXYX9Q/?tag=imtbtrails-20

The trick is to put your sunscreen on 30 min or so before to let it bond.. and of course re-apply if needed.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Wow - this is more varied than the chain lube thread. Who'da thunk it?

Faust29, RS VR6, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I have the combo chain lube and sunscreen stuff:Roflmao:Roflmao

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  18. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Blue Lizard is great stuff. My dermatologist recommends it.

Faust29, littlewave, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    +1 on the sun sleeves. They are great for keeping you cool in addition to sun protection. Spray water on them if there is a breeze for extra cooling!

I use coppertone sport. Seems to work, and its cheap. Prefer the cream over the spray, I found the spray to be really greasy feeling.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  20. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I used the banana boat sport for a long time. I switched to the Neutrogena Beach Defense recently. Great stuff. I've also taken to wearing long sleeves during the Summer.
    I hate the sprays with a passion - and don't ever spray your or your kid's face.

My old neighbor was an air conditioning repair guy. He had to have the tops of his ears cut off due to cancer.
    Since I heard that I have always taken the time to coat my ears. :eek:

Faust29, MolarM, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Plus 2 on UV Sleeves. My other sun protection is my dermatologist. Man I hate lotions and sweating combined!

john_hovard, Faust29, MolarM and 3 others like this.
  22. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I was gonna mention that too, that is what I used before SolBar, also serious stuff and the Bottle Turns blue in Hi UV to remind you

There is a cool site called

http://www.coolibar.com/

All this sun protection.

My favorite sleeves are

Velowear

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240182WHTLRG

Which happen to be on sale right now. They are a little "waffley" which I think helps them breath and are pretty tough.

Combine that with a Club Ride shirt and you are in

https://www.clubrideapparel.com/collections/mens-tops/products/new-west?variant=37081842122

They go on sale if you keep your eyes open

Faust29, MolarM, Cornholio and 6 others like this.
  23. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I've been through too many brands and types since I started riding. I'm currently using the two below with pretty good results. I try to apply before leaving the house for what ever activity. the Sport face seems to last a good long time even with the buckets I sweat. One applied and dry I don't really feel like I have any on at all. I may be a little red after being outside for hours but it's given me the best results and least burns in my lifetime.

For face and ears I use:
    http://www.neutrogena.com/product/s...een+broad+spectrum+spf+70-.do?sortby=ourPicks

For head neck and arms I use:
    http://www.neutrogena.com/product/u...oad+spectrum+spf+55.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2

MCB2K, Faust29, bvader and 4 others like this.
  24. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    This is what my dermatologist wants me to use too for riding and surfing, and her own product for everyday use. I've got to admit- she went a little ballistic on me about daily use of sunscreen on face and arms all the time, everyday. She then burned multiple pre-cancerous lesions off my face and arms. I am now a believer.
    All of us need to be seen by a dermatologist- our sport and where we live make us high-risk.
    Do it!

Oaken, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Thanks for all the replies! I've had a ton of skin cut over the years by my dermatologist and have tried a bunch of sunscreens from cheap stuff to the fancy French named stuff that costs more than weed per ounce. I used Coppertone Sport spray for a long time because it's easy to use before a ride but have read more about sprays being a bit harsh in the chemical department. Looks like Bullfrog has too much of one of the chemicals known to mess with hormones so I guess I'll pass on that one. Currently usomg Sawyer from REI.

I'm heading in to the dermatologist in a couple if weeks and wanted to chat about sunscreens with her so appreciate all the replies. My psoriatic arthritis medicine (which costs over 9k per dose! No joke, glad I have good insurance) makes me more susceptible to skin cancer so being a high risk person to begin with I really have to be careful.

I don't get (haven't been in a while) burned so I am applying it enough and it's working but my more recent cause for concern is all the chemicals. Gonna look into the info on this site some more:

http://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

Oh and I will look into sun sleeves as well. When I first got back into MTB I wore long sleeve SPF shirts but they were too baggy and more for hiking.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I like the Pearl Izumi sun sleeves. They are thin and light. They do feel warm when there is no breeze blowing. Like @evdog said, pour some water on them in the breeze and its instant AC.

Faust29, bvader, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  27. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, on the really hot days I bring an extra water bottle filled with ice water and use that to douse my sun sleeves. Works awesome. If I think ahead I also wet them and put them in the freezer for a little while before I ride so I start out with cold ones.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Interestingly timed article:

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/73-sunscreens-dont-work-according-2017-guide-120014355.html

Excerpt from the article:

"If you learn that your sunscreen doesn’t quite cut it, the EWG has some tips for buying your next bottle or tube:

1. Check products against EWG’s sunscreen database and avoid those with harmful additives.
    2. Steer clear of products with SPFs higher than 50.
    3. Avoid sprays. They don’t provide a thick and uniform coating on skin, and pose inhalation concerns.
    4. Stay away from vitamin A. Government studies link the use of retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A, to the formation of skin tumors and lesions when it’s applied to sun-exposed skin.
    5. Steer clear of oxybenzone. This widely used UV-filtering chemical has been found to be a hormone disrupter and allergen."

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I started using a face cover made out of a sun-blocking SS tee. Nothing from a tube or bottle comes close to the SPF of cloth. After many decades and surgeries, I'm finally getting serious.

30. AndyB

AndyB Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    I use Banana Boat 30

11082867?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

I use it twice daily as I jog twice a day. I use it on my face, shoulders, neck and arms.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?