Stolen bike alert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigringrider101, Apr 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    A rotten a$$ thief broke into my storage closet and took my beloved blue El Mariach.
    He came back for another load yesterday in broad daylight at aroud 2 in the afternoon but couldn’t open the door.

49B66F2F-0396-42A8-981C-B009A613CF74.jpeg

593916C1-E285-4664-85EF-E469908FD89D.png

436DB532-CAEB-4C8F-A436-D72890A28FE0.jpeg

stevers, Chevrolegs, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  2. bigringrider101

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    That’s the perpetrator, face totally covered.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, major bummer. Seems extra suspicious that the thief would go to such an extent to hide his identity.

4. bigringrider101

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    He knew about a camara at the end of the hallway right above the storage door.
    We couldn’t find a video of the day he took the bike. I noticed it gone last thurday at 5:30 AM. They checked back to sunday and couldn’t see it. I want to think he didn’t cover his face but manager doesn’t eant to take the time to just keep checking the video back until it shows him at work.

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The police can make him do it for their investigation.

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  7. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I’ll help you beat his ass

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Sorry to read, Berni...

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I fu***ng hate people. I have fond memories of that bike, and it ain't even mine. :mad:

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Karma will get him. Or someone will catch him in the act, and he'll be finished.

We can only hope.

11. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh Berni that absolutely sucks. How stupid to come back for more. I sure hope the karma bus runs him the f@ck over.

12. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Man, I'm sorry Bernie, hope you get it back.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    F’ing lowlife. Bummer, Bernie. What a world we live in. Hope you replace it with something tasty : )

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    F-ing Ass---e! :mad: I hope his testicles fall off...

Sorry to hear Berni. Pursue it.

15. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    That really sucks Bernie, hope you find your bike. That low life scum has it coming soon!

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Bump! Any updates Bernie?

Voodoo Tom and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This looked like a good thread to piggy-back off of, rather than start a new one.
    Three bikes were stolen from my neighbor last night in Redlands. They most likely cased the place and knew they were there, and brought bolt cutters and three people to grab them. If you're in the IE area, please keep a lookout for this guy, as well as any of the bikes.
    IMG_20190728_103848_020.jpg 3894-1.jpg IMG_20190728_123448_560.jpg IMG_20190728_123448_559.jpg

mike, ~JB~, Sasquatch9billion and 9 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Cyclotourist - I hope that someone gets the chance to use the bolt cutters on his fingers.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Fun story: My other neighbors had some bikes stolen earlier this summer. Luckily thieves are dumb, and he was riding it by the kids it was stolen from. Police were called, outstanding warrants were noted, thief is in jail.

mike, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  20. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    Just posted CL:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/d/los-angeles-stolen-black-specialized/6952059171.html

See 2 pics, it shows the bike thief

Just discovered my Schwinn 7200 hybrid stolen out of my backyard. Sweet bike, good parts..Deore LX

Some scrawny old white dude knocked on my door (to see if I was home). I watched on my surveillance camera..he goes to my garage, enters rear-gate, & messes around in my backyard. Sees ALL my project bikes, leaves. I assume the other thief told him (& others), of my "treasure trove".

Man, I'm in REAL TROUBLE!!

They WILL come back

"if they want it..THEY'LL GET IT"

A Caltech Physics post-doc just bought a Trek 820 from me, he lives nearby (I live 2 blocks from Caltech..nice neighborhood) -- his MTB got stolen out of his yard at night. We have been trading some excited/animated texts about what's going on in this neighborhood:

I had a stache of expensive bikes stolen out of my garage

[ Cannondale F3000SL Lefty, Specialized M5 hardtail, Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 (see attached pic)...plus more!! ]

back in May/June 2016, I was away on travel. There is a scumbag "Butch" across the street

[ former security guard, neighborhood drug dealer, has felony conviction for stolen property..MAJOR trouble-maker. Many of my neighbors have moved away. A female neighbor approached me

"What does it take for Pasadena PD to do SOMETHING!!"

She moved, then the next owner just moved! The other neighbor moved, then the next owner wants to MOVE. The whole neighborhood is in upheaval ]

I made the mistake of walking my check-in luggage to Metrorail at 9:30pm, he heard it, realized I was gone. Over next 2 months, my house/garage was subject to MULTIPLE break-ins. I have STEEL door/frame on my house AND garage -- they took out the wood-screws of the steel frame for the garage (attempted it on my house)..!! I have since WELDED the wood screws to the steel frame

The scumbags left evidence

Day-Glo CSC shirt

[ CSC does all security for major events, like Rose Bowl. Scumbag Butch tells his security guard friends about my house I assume. I've had several break-ins going back to 1994!! ]

So, the criminal was doing security at Rose Bowl event, then cased my house afterwards!! Pasadena Detective completely ignored me, won't do report. They extracted the bottom window-pane of my living room (fingerprints!!), & entered. This could be relayed to CSC, matched with Rose Bowl event during May/June 2016 -- got a suspect. But Pasadena PD won't do anything!!

Stole my guns, computer stuff, etc. Technically, the gun could be used in a crime (e.g. murder), since I don't have a police report..I could end up being arrested!!

The detectives showed up at my house in full SWAT gear intimidating me:

"Do not call us again, or ELSE [ we'll arrest you..plant false-evidence gun, drugs, etc ]"

^^^ Remember, this was the time of CORRUPT LA Sheriff SCANDAL in downtown LA

[ Tanaka, Head Sheriff Lee Baca..all imprisoned. Tried to arrest informant sent in by FBI ]

The Pasadena PD Chief PR guy was ARRESTED for illegal arms trafficking..100 odd guns. That about tells you what Pasadena PD is all about

BOTTOMLINE:
    Bike thieves (burglars in general) are running rampant, they get let out in a week due to prison over-crowding (non-violet drug offenders). Police & Legal system are total F***D, criminals are literally running wild. Bikes are easy mark, fancy bikes on racks pull into house -- TARGET! Bikes in garages are NOT safe, you literally have to bring inside house. Then, there is Police incompetence/CORRUPTION

GET THIS:
    Thieves came back in Oct/2016, got MORE bikes!! Incl a 90's Trek 8500 carbon fiber hardtail, Specialized Rockhopper, etc. They knocked over some parts, made helluva noise. They FLED..leaving bolt-cutters (!!), smelly backpack, flashlights. These IDIOTS try to dismantle my garage door. They had to have brought in a step-van to load up my stache of 30 odd bikes. They must have been professional bike thieves, not oddball homeless people. There was that bike-thief gang that got caught a few yrs ago (N. Hollywood?), the stolen bikes were in their backyard

If you carry your fancy MTB on a rack & pull into your garage -- you are ADVERTISING your bike to be stolen!! I take both wheels off my MTB, stick the frame in passenger seat of my sedan..2 wheels in trunk. I.e., NO ADVERTISING "fancy bikes". I pull into my backyard to unload (NOT unloading in public view)

Question:
    Where do these stolen bikes go? Get dis-assembled, parted out? Sent elsewhere, to be sold on Craigslist. Steve Lubanski (Open Road bike shop in Altadena) says they are sent to Mexico.

ALL my fancy bikes (Cannondale Lefty, Rocky Mountain Slayer 70, etc) -- where ARE they? Sold, being ridden somewhere 700 mi away? I've heard of reports of stolen bikes being sold on CL hundreds of miles away

00p0p_rP70sMi638_1200x900.jpg

00707_lMkbkN8pwd7_1200x900.jpg

IMG_2571.JPG

Sasquatch9billion, ~JB~ and mike like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well that sucks in every way - especially about the police refusing to act and making you out to be a nuisance. :thumbsdown:

mike likes this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Came across this doing something else, could be useful if you want to be able to make sure the used bike you want to buy isn't stolen. I'm sure it's not foolproof, but better than nothing.

https://project529.com/garage

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?