Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Expert

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by wheezy, Sep 1, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @wheezy ... I say good write up. I enjoyed reading it!!!

I also say this... RIDE WHAT YOU WANT, NOT WHAT OTHERS WANT! I'm not an ebike fan. But, I also am not going to loose any sleep over what some OTHER people choose to ride.

wheezy, Luis, CalEpic and 5 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm loosely quoting BikeSnobNYC who said something like, awesome to add a motor to a bike. Maybe a locking box to store things as well. How about having a windshield to make it rideable year round!!! Now about doors, to further keep the elements out and add security. Maybe extra wheels to keep it stable and let the elderly & infirm use it.
    And at that point, you have a car.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    me neither..
    just came back from midday Santiago ride. only one other rider, bunch of red tipped vultures, nice old man hiker...
    chutes was so nice had to ride it twice!

Mikie and Redman like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I'll ride with you on an ebike, but you could get bored.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Keep this up. I'd rather see Ebikes than Motos any day.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    LOL

Mikie likes this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    But you are gonna get bof...
    Yeah, I said bof, as in bof of them...

Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  10. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I enjoy e-MTB's, but they seem to initiate contentious arguments on MTB forums. Since we're probably not going to have threads on DIY or which bike clicks all the boxes (for some time), probably best to eschew them. Also, possible to give the anti-MTB group(s) some free ammo with some of the comments.

11. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I think I get your thinking here. It's like that GEICO commercial where the group of Antarctic explorers finally reach the South Pole after months of arduous struggle only to find those dopey cartoon characters already there and asking "What took you so long?" The explorers throw down their gear and sadly walk away. Let me offer a more positive and inclusive perspective.

The existence of e-bikes should never rob you or any 100% human-powered mountain biker of the joy of a great ride, the relationships developed from riding or diminish your hard efforts for fitness and achieving personal goals. Even if an e-biker is the first to the top, that e-biker can never claim that he rode that climb entirely under his own power. You can make that claim regardless of the time differential with the e-biker. It's like Barry Bonds' home run record. There will always be an asterisk by his number because he used artificial performance enhancers. Hank Aaron hit fewer home runs but he did it with his own unaltered and unassisted natural abilities so he will always be the home run champ in my book.

E-bikes are artificial performance enhancers! Unlike steroids they are not harmful to the user. There is a big question about the potential threat to trail access posed by the increasing use of e-bikes which is my only concern about them. Lots of people have very legitimate reasons for riding e-bikes and anyone has the right to ride them if they choose. I would have no problem riding with anyone who rides an e-bike. Heck, I'm usually the last guy to the top anyway but I will still ride with faster 100% human powered bikers; as long as they wait for me occasionally of course:thumbsup:! Riding with an e-biker would not steal my joy or mess with my mojo in any way. In fact, like Wheezy's riding buddies did, I'd give the e-biker a little good-natured crap for his assisted riding!

So I'd suggest for us 100% human powered people to lighten up a little. Some good people ride e-bikes either by choice or necessity so where they are legal, share the trail with e-bikes and enjoy their company like you would any other mtb'r. Remember, there will be a day when all of us 100%'rs will not be able to do this as we do now. When that day comes for me, I will gladly purchase an e-bike so I can extend my mountain bike years as long as possible and I'd still like to ride with other people:inlove:!

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Well said.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Double that...well said. Doubled..

14. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Yep Maddog you nailed it. Thanks!

Dean

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It's impossible to know how this'll all shake out over the next decade or two, but one can only hope for the best--whatever that is. Many of us with reservations about battery-assisted bikes are extremely grateful for the current state of affairs, knowing mountain bikers could easily be excluded from many of the trail systems we currently enjoy. The access battles were won largely because we ride human-powered bikes. With motorized assistance now available, our arguments will be harder to legitimize, IMO, and we may lose access. Scarcity of trails in urban and populated areas will only exacerbate the issue. NEPA law and other environmental protections will also act as a barricade to building new trails for all of us, not to mention battery-assisted bicyclists.

My girlfriend and I were in Bend OR last week, which has been hailed as a destination resort for many sports and activities, as well as a "best place to live" in tons of magazines and web reviews. In fact, we'd been interested in moving there for decades. But the quiet little town we remembered is gone, and traffic and new housing have it looking (to us) like a clone of Orange County. Articles in their local paper complain about tourism and tourism's negative impacts. But isn't all the self-promotion they've needed to survive one of primary reasons they've lost the small town, quiet feeling many people moved there to find?

Obviously what works for one person doesn't work for another, and many people will enjoy Bend as it is, with all the micro-breweries and commerce and everything else. And that's great, because there's much to love.

But those of us who grew up before battery-assisted bikes found lots to love about facing and conquering challenges while riding under our own power. That may change and a future generation may not experience it at all. For many of us, that would be loss as to what it means to be human. For others, it may prove to be irrelevant.

The operative word is hope, that is, I hope the avenues available for the pursuit of happiness expand proportionately to the increasing number of humans on the planet, and I also hope they are able to find joy in simple ways and in natural surroundings; unplugged from the embrace of technology and occasionally standing naked and strong beneath a dark and constellation-filled sky.

tick, Faust29, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Once again, kioti nails it

17. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    Exactly!

Mikie likes this.
  18. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I grew up during a time when many small and medium sized logging towns in Mendocino went from thriving small communities to nothing. Changes in laws pushed logging jobs out of California mills closed. On the coast those that made a living fishing commercially lost everything, again laws changed. Nothing stays the same. I would give anything to have the ranch I once owned back but I lost it when I lost working in the woods. Some progress is good others maybe not so good, the only change constant is change.

I have not been to Bend since 1969 and hate to hear that it has changed so much. On the other hand I know of a dozens of small towns in Northern CA that have seen none to little change. What is the point? I just try to live and let live and don't worry much about the little stuff. E-Bike is deep into the little stuff.

Want to try a place to live that does not change try Kenndy Meadows, Troy Meadows BlackRock station area.

Dean

LLPoolJ, CalEpic, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  19. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    The point is, I don't want the actions of our generation(s) to cause outcomes that rob future generations of the opportunity to participate in the things we love and treasure.

And so called "little stuff" can have big consequences.

Faust29, MattB, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  20. Will Cruise

Will Cruise Newbie

Name:
    William
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 27.5
    Bummer to read the site owner feels this way. As a father of a young son, 15, who has complicated health issues that prevent him from putting forth an extraneous effort into any physically demanding activity, I'm bummed but this is America and like Colin Kaepernick, were entitled to our own opinions and preferences. Enjoy the trails; I know I will..with my son.

Louis Zegarra and Mikie like this.
  21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Geez.. The guy has an opinion, let it go. I don't know @Mikie but he comes off as a pretty warm and accepting guy to me and I do want to ride with him and anyone else on here in the future.

kioti, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  22. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Generations to come can pick for themselves. The traditional bikes aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The act of creating e-bikes is bringing more people to the sport therefore exposing them to mountain biking as you and I know. I'd say our actions are only helping the future generation of mountain bikers.

For the record I don't own an e-bike nor plan on it but if makes people happy to get out and ride the trails(e-bikes are allowed to be on) then the sport will continue to flourish.

CalEpic, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    As easy as it is on a Forum, words can be taken out of context (I'm not talking intentionally) or do not explain every aspect of the scenario...
    First it concerns me when a comment like above refers to me as the site owner and equates my opinion as the sites opinion. Far from the truth. Everybody gets to have an opinion, I have one and just happen to be the site owner, there is a huge difference. Many Forums out there are open for "business" and the Forum Owner is just that... the Forum Owner.

I am passionate about all aspects of Mountain Biking. To the point I started a Mountain Bike Forum. For a small Forum there is a lot of MTB stoke! I would like to think that I bring some of that stoke to the table.

Nothing has been more dividing, more passionate driven, and has caused the most frustration and dissention then the debate about e-bikes. It's left me concerned about how to handle it as a Forum Owner. I obviously have my opinions, but I want to do what's right for the forum, despite my opinion.

There is talk out there about banning e-bike discussions on other forums for the very same reasons here. No compromise and a touchy subject. And without stirring a new debate on mountain bike "unity", the one vision I DO have for this site is unity and respect.

I'm not one to run from issues, but I think I am going to try my hardest to refrain from commenting on e-bikes anymore. My comments, concerns, and statements are very clear throughout ALL the e-bike posts, and all I have done is repeat over and over and over my thoughts on the subject. I'm going to treat this like politics... Your friendship is more important then that!

I really appreciate this... Sincerely B.
    No one can go around saying, "Hey, I'm a good dude." But I hope my reputation proceeds me...;)

24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    "I really do believe there is zero reasons this bike shouldn't be allowed on every single trail that a regular mountain bike is allowed on and there is nothing that will change that opinion. Feel free to hate away!" Wheezy from his "Haters gonna hate" thread.

Wheezy, not only do you have a right to your opinion, but unlike most of your fellow riders, you probably have a legal right to ride one of these bikes on non-motorized trails. So why frame it like anyone who disagrees with you is a hater? Just get a handicap placard and clear it with the Ranger or land manager where you're riding. Then ride responsibly and be grateful there's an option for you to compensate for your disability. As noted before, there's virtually no opposition to your (or others like Will Cruise's son) being able to use technology to access and enjoy trails otherwise designated non-motorized.

The differences of opinion some of us have are not "hate" and I feel it's disrespectful to call them that. I'm personally glad you have an option to keep doing what you love doing, and I'm glad that disability laws allow for it.

MattB, Faust29, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    What you describe here regarding avenues of happiness, unfortunately, are drugs and video games. We are doomed Mr. Tambourine Man.

26. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I believe that MTBers turning against each other will have more of a negative effect on trail access issues that e-bikers actually using the trails. We all should just keep it to ourselves keep the discussions off public forums and let the land managers figure this one out. They will be using our arguments not just against e-bikers but all MTBers.

We all know that land managers rarely spend time out on the trails checking things out but I know they scour these forum and Strava looking for illegal activity.

Dean

Mikie, Faust29 and Will Cruise like this.
  27. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    This is why i don't like the ebike. Those heavy batteries are getting on board and sinking our MTB ship.

Mikie likes this.
  28. Will Cruise

Will Cruise Newbie

Name:
    William
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 27.5
    Quoted for the truth. Couldn't have said it better myself. The masses (and uneducated) do not have a concept of the term "synergy". Promoting a synergistic environment where every idea and opinion is heard and considered is the gateway to opening doors to new opportunities.

29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Absolutley the honest truth! Taking good care of oneself is the only tride and true way to feel good, I've sooo been on the other side! Nope! Life isn't fair, try as we may to even the score with our compromise. Strong is strong , weak is weak. Sorry if the truth is the truth. :) Really, it all comes down to what kind of shape your mental health is in. Life is a battle!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  30. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I have a flicker of hope when I see kids on 29ers and some young digger friends maintaining trails. (On this jingle-jangle morning.)