Source of my chronic lower back pain.

Discussion in 'Health' started by dustyyoungblood, Oct 28, 2017.

1. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I've been working with a great PT the last five weeks. I was in so much pain a few weeks ago that I was thinking of selling my bike and just sinking into a seditary lifestyle. In a couple sessions we reduced/ellimated the pinching pain in my sacroiliac joint. And worked through a muscle knot in my lower back to gain some mobility.

But the plot thickens....

As it turns out, I am the most inflexible human alive. At this moment I am extremely asymmetric, with my right hip(among many joints) not functioning like it should. Super limited rotation. The problem appears to be that my muscles and contective tissues and are shortened and stiff and just not moving, which led to this presenting as back pain, because of all the stiff tissue tugging and pulling my hips every time I take a step or pedal, thus my lower spine experiences an unfair work load. PT is confident we can get me back to normal, but it's going to take time and patience and pain. Super basic stretches are really hard for me even to get into right now. It's really embarrassing to be so completely dramatically out of wack.

This isn't out of the blue, I've had my back seaze up least once every couple years since high school. I've got a little bit of scoliosis, and also a muscle tear on one of my left quads when I was 14 set me up with some asymetry that's always been in the back ground but never slowed me down much. Until now with this hip thing. It's by far some of the worst shap (mobility wise) I have been in.

Listen to what Coach Dee is saying about the hips here. If I was doing these stretches 6 months ago I would never be in this position now. Think I may take a few weeks away than risk injuring myself.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Good to see that you're homing in on the cause and fixing that, instead of just treating symptoms. :thumbsup: You'll be up and riding in no time.

3. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I will be stronger and better!!!!!

HBkites, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
  5. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Despite the lustworthiness of Abi (or maybe because of...), the dead pigeon is actually the stretch that helped me get some motion in my hip, which helped me stabilize my back a little better.

7. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @younglblood sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I have dealt with similar issues. For me... stretching regularly is one key. Chiropractor every few months is another key. And, "unlocking" my hips was the golden key. You unlock those hips and then everything else falls into place so much easier.
    Good luck on your rehab!

kioti likes this.
  8. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Good luck getting through the weeds, @dustyyoungblood. Patience and persistence pay!

But you gotta know that you have some heavy competition in the least limber category. I was in a PT office where they were checking the mobility of my low back. After a quick look he called all the employees over to observe. I think some were laughing. So, yea...

9. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    herzalot likes this.
  10. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Yep same experience here, firstly the interns were called around to see my legs bent up in a running stride position, so the PT could tell me "I hope you did not have any dreams of become on Olympic hurdler" Why? "Because your knee would need to be here and here" Oh, so I am not even close "right". Can I atleast run "No, not yet".

Whatever, Sprinted for a PR on water works last time I rode, guess that was a mistake and was risking serious injury.

herzalot, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  11. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Digging deeper. My pelvis is out of alignment, Hip flexors and abductors are all feeling fatigued and sore. Getting some mobility back, but still very stiff on the right side. A few more weeks.

mike and herzalot like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't really "like" but I appreciate you sharing, and wish you the best in managing your conditions.

13. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    One thing I found helpful the last few weeks is listening to every podcast I could find with Kelly Starrett, and then now signing up for access to his daily Mobility WOD videos. apparently 10 minutes a day is going to save my life.

https://www.mobilitywod.com/

14. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Hope you get it sorted...

if you need a recommendation on a sports trainer/chiro... His office is within a "boot camp"
    facility so he has a captive audience, he's also very athletic and understands sports injury, not
    the typical chiro that does standard adjustments. One thing I've learned is once a muscle is
    tight, pretty soon the whole spine will be out of whack but the body sorta adapts and we
    ignore it until injury occurs. I limp in thinking I have a pinched nerve but it's almost always
    3 at the neck, 3 upper back, 3 lower.

I have free chiro hookup but I pay instead.

dustyyoungblood likes this.