Snow Summit Improvements Plan-Public Comments to USFS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knucklebuster, Jun 29, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Apologies if this has been posted already, but searched and didn't see it.
    Some SS improvement projects that the USFS is asking for public comment on, by July 7 it seems.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49669&exp=overview

I tried to paste one of docs below but all the formatting went away so it doesn't look too good. Go to the link above to see the formatted version, and another PDF has a couple of maps.

What is Ego Trip???

NEWS RELEASE U.S. Forest Service, San Bernardino National Forest For Immediate Release Contact: Gerrelaine Alcordo at (909) 382-2711 Twitter: @sanbernardinonf Public Comment Sought on Big Bear Mountain Resorts Improvements SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., June 17, 2016 - The San Bernardino National Forest is requesting comments on a proposal to permit Big Bear Mountain Resorts (BBMR) for construction and maintenance to improvements the Mountain Bike Park and other uses, all on 2 acres of developed and permitted area on existing ski trails and service roads. We are seeking public comments on this proposal through July 6, 2016. The BBMR Improvements project evaluates the environmental consequences of the proposal to authorize the following activities:

The development of a new intermediate trail from the top of Ego Trip running down and intersecting with Miracle Mile Trail at the same location that Turtle Trail Starts. This trail is to be located on existing service roads and ski trails. This trail will be 2 miles in length and a finish width of 36 inch. This trail is 0.727 acre.

The following seasonal construction of a pump track. This will take up approx. 5000 square feet or 0.114 acre of the land at the base of chair 8 and will typically be in use from May thru October. Other times of the year it will be flattened and the area will be the staging area of chair 8.

Pro jump line that includes a mulch jump. This will be approx. one half mile long trail in the base area starting from the top of chair 8 area and proceed across and downhill with Pro Level Terrain Features at an average width of 48in. The total size will be 0.242 acres.

Intermediate Jump line. This will be approx. one half mile long trail starting from the area around the top of chair 8 and continuing downhill and East. This trail will consist of intermediate and lower level terrain features that are designed to help build the riders progression and teach them how to use a terrain feature safely. The finish width will be approx. 36” in width. The total size will be 0.181 acres.

Skill Builder Area for Mountain Biking. This area will be designed to teach the novice and higher level bikers to learn skill such as banked turns and small curbed sized features. This is an area that will be used by our guests and we will also use to give bike lessons. This will be one half mile in length and 36” wide. The total acreage will be 0.181

Authorization for the Small Wonder beginner bike trail. This is a three quarter mile and 24” to 36” wide trail extending from the top of Chair 4 and ending near the bottom of chair 4. This trail is a complete introduction to mountain biking. Total acreage is 0.272.

Installation of a free standing Rock Climbing wall in the base area above children’s rental and lesson facility. The wall will be approx. 15’ in width by 16’ in length and approx. 45’ tall. The wall has a completely hands free self-belay system for the safety of the climber. An attendant will always be on duty. The base disturbed area is 5000 square feet or 0.114 acre of land.

Grading and construction of a viewing area for the Zip Line and Climbing Wall in the summer and for the Children’s Learning Area during the winter. This area will be graded flat at the same elevation of the existing bottom of the base area. It will be approx. 5,000 square feet or 0.114 acre.

The purpose of this comment period is to provide an opportunity for the public to provide specific written comments regarding concerns about the proposed action prior to a decision being made by the Mountaintop District Ranger. How to Comment: Supporting documentation is available on-line at the project web page: http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49669&exp=overview. The comments must be received by July 6, 2016. Electronic comments are preferred. Comments may be submitted by going to the following web page: https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public/CommentInput?project=49669. Or, comments may be emailed to the SBNF Mountaintop Ranger District inbox at: comments_pacificsouthwest_san_bernardino_mountaintop@fs.fed.us. If you are unable to submit comments electronically, comments may be mailed to: Mountaintop Ranger District, Attn: David Kotlarski, PO Box 290, Fawnskin CA 92333. If you would like additional information regarding this project, please contact Project Leader David Kotlarski via email at dkotlarski@fs.fed.us or by phone at 909-382-2815. About the U.S. Forest Service: The mission of the US Forest Service is to

kioti, mtnbikej, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

This is all very good and will add immeasurably to the quality of our little gravity hill. I've been aching for an intermediate jump line to practice practice practice before I'm too old. I will never like huge air, but I do like moderate, and relatively safe, jumps!

shawndoh and kioti like this.
  3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I would really like a nice low(er) consequence jump area to BUILD my skills in :)

kioti and herzalot like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I was thinking of Snow Summit while reading this cool article (on Pink Bike) about a New Jersey mountain bike park. Here's an excerpt:

"Mountain Creek is home to 50 downhill trails, and an additional 10 miles of cross country trails the line the property. Within resort boundaries, you'll find over 60 jumps and features, a 1040' vertical drop, a high-speed open air gondola, a 50' airbag jump, a trailside bar and grill, numerous lodging opportunities, and even a water park."

And here's a link to the article: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/humans-of-mountain-creek-2016.html

herzalot likes this.
  5. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!

^THIS!

herzalot likes this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I just flew back from Omaha this week and our flight path took us over Vail and Aspen. You should SEE all the MTB trails at those resorts!

7. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    I just got back from Aspen/Snowmass! Their park only has 4 trails right now, but they are twice as long and the rating system actually makes sense. Valhalla, their black diamond jump line is a flow trail with lots of jumps you can launch or roll. Nothing comes close to the size of the smallest jump on Westridge. At the end there are a couple of gapped ladders and huge drops. Overall it has more flow and is easier/safer than Westridge. Much more singletrack though.

One of the workers told me they secretly got approval for 7 more trails this year. They have lifts everywhere. Several big XC trails cross through the park too. There were more kids than adults on the trail (Monday), all taking classes down their green trail.

herzalot and kioti like this.
  8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I commented with my approval of the plan.

9. wheezy

wheezy Member

Name:
    Todd McTallguy
    Current Bike:
    2020 NORCO Range VLT C1
    Man, I hope they groom it and put in a bunch of pavers! :rolleyes: :cautious:

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    wheezy likes this.