Snow Summit 2017

Discussion in 'Gravity Junkies' started by herzalot, May 13, 2017.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    It's almost time to ride our local iteration of a bike park. Will they finally get the trail ratings figured out? Will the features match the trail ratings? Will there be something for everyone? Stay tuned.

Snow Summit Link

2. riiz

riiz Well-Known Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    They got it figured out last year, imo. The original 2.5 trails, were all designated Single Black Diamond. The jumps/lips got a lot better and that drop that killed two in 2015 was improved so that the consequences of hesitating weren't fatal anymore. They have a decent blue trail, some sort of flow trail that gets a bit too dry and loose and the beginner green trail was kid/beginner safe, and entertaining enough to challenge but not scare off my daughters.

From social media outlets, they are adding a bunch and got permits for new trails and the pro-line at the bottom. Me and my kids have passes which has my 9 year old asking for a new full-face helmet everytime we stop by JensonUsa. Stoked to have homegrown riding partners at last.

It might not pertain to the bike park, but the forest trails got some love and taking a stroll through the forest using the lifts again is pretty fun almost like the pre-bikepark years of 2014.

3. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @riiz I agree, it was a lot better last year than the previous years. Hoping for continued improvement in their trail sculpting and variety.

Cornholio likes this.
  4. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I'm going to venture up there for the first time this season. Im stoked!

5. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    I'm gonna throw this out there.....there is another place up near big bear that is in the process of getting their permits for mountain biking on the property. They predict they will be permitted by July.

I had the privilege of touring the facility last Friday. They are not lift accessed, but the pedal to the top is gradual and only takes about 10 minutes. The shortest trail is about 1.5 miles. Four trails off the top of the mountain:

1) Blue trail- rollers and berms
    1) Single black diamond-jumps, basic ladder bridges and some techy fun stuff
    2) double black diamonds- one is a straight up jump trail with big gaps and stepups and the other is more north shore style with skinnies, tight twisty through the trees bridges and a big high speed drop.

If you have youngsters, they can access several green trails from the same pedal up road. The green trails are super fun and good for learning.

The owners said the price will be $29 for adults and $19 for kids. Included in that price is access to a rock climbing wall, R/C car track, fly fishing, ice skating (in the winter). You can rent everything on site. They are a Rocky I'm Mountain and Intense dealer.

Here is some video of the jump trail courtesy of Richie Schley. The video is called Santas Village- you can guess the location from that.

https://www.redbull.com/car-en/ride-steepest-socal-trails-richie-schley-povs

BTW- the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich at St. Nicks was incredible.

6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    I heard the new Santas village guy on NPR a couple weeks ago.. going to become more multi use year round place. Guy / family / team sounded like they had a good plan.

I will be heading up to SS too, hopefully early before it's totally torn up

herzalot, pperrelle and jaime like this.
  7. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @Ricekrispyota thanks for the info man ! Yes the santa's village looks fun and will try it for sure as soon as they open !

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Still not much detail but sounds interesting.

http://skyparksantasvillage.com/bikepark/

Anyone interested in hitting SS opening day? All-day lift tickets are only $20.

herzalot likes this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    To this day, I still have never ridden the park and I have no intention of doing so. I prefer the quieter, naturally challenging open forest trails up there, which there are enough of to keep me occupied for about 3 days. A road ride around the lake is also a nice thing to do.

10. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Which has me thinking of the way a ski area changes to become a mountain bike park.. ten or more feet of snow on the ground and the possibilities are endless. Snow goes away and a few trails channel all riders onto preconceived notions of a rider's intent.. 99% access goes down to 3%.. speed becomes the main variable.. fall lines give way to traverses..

Seems like so much depends on the trail builders as opposed to the terrain. Certainly fewer choices for the riders: a jump run or a flow trail.. wood features.. imported chunk or maybe something with real rocks and slabs if that's available? So much planning, building and maintenance for a few snaky trails in the summertime, as opposed to just removing some trees, blasting for avalanches and maybe fencing off a cliff or big hole in the ground.

Sorry, just musing about the differences. Having hiked the John Muir trail and staying on the 3 foot wide path for 200+ miles; then skiing the same route 25 years later with no trail at all and route choice a day-to-day or even second-to-second reality, a budding bike park like Snow Summit brings these things to mind.

Ride on.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and bvader like this.
  11. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Sounds like a good place AND it's closer than Big Bear!! Do you know if 29$ is for trail access? I didn't see it on the website.Did you get to ride many of the trails?

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Try it, then offer your opinions...

Of course one could say the same for me and singlespeeds - and that's not going to happen. The difference is - one SS is fun, the other is hell.

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Too mechanized/organized/crowded for me. Reminds me of standing in line at Disneyland. It's just my opinion though. To each his own, of course.

14. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Would love to try out the Big Bear bike park trails. My wife and i went one time; we purchased a one way lift ticket and took Skyline down all the way. So no bike park. We loved it so much. That trail went on and on.
    We probably go to Mammoth a few times this year. They will open a few more trails again this year but the top may never open due to all the snowfall

15. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    And that is the reason I'll go on weekdays :) to be honest I work weekends :thumbsdown:
    Weekday=no crowds

Cyclotourist, scan and herzalot like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So here's how you try it without the mechanism or crowd. Ride up to Skyline via whatever your favorite route (I park at the bottom of Pineknot Trail and climb 2N10, Skyline and Plantation, then head east). Go to Snow Summit. Accidentally find your way over to the top of Westridge trail (it's easy to do). Don some pads and maybe a full-face. Take a run. Don't send the jumps - just roll 'em. If you hate it, switch your helmet, take off your pads and ride back to the top via any convenient route and finish your loop of Skyline by finishing with a run down Pineknot or Cabin 89. If you love the SS run, or are at least desirous of more, buy a ticket and go get some runs in!

Oh - and ride your Remedy, not your Salsa. Maybe lock up your Salsa at the bottom of Snow Summit in advance so you can switch for the climb up and return trip if you hate the Snow Summit experience. Either way, you'll have a great day on the bike(s).

BTW - @Cougar and I did this last year. He loved it and bought an all-day ticket. I smiled. We took 5 runs, had lunch, switched our helmets, and returned to Pineknot via Skyline.

CraigandMeXC-Skyline.JPG
    CraigandMeFF-SS.JPG

17. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg

$29 gets a wristband and access to everything including the trails. I was able to ride all of the trails. The jump trail is beyond my capabilities as a mountain biker (there are some big jumps and I have a wife, kids and a mortgage). The north shore style trail (Comet) pushed my limits for sure, but it was a blast.

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Dang you're persistent. I like that about you. :thumbsup:

I am an old school XC guy who dabbles in mild tech on occasion. I ride to escape reality, to enjoy nature, and for the fitness part of it, in that order of importance. I ride not to improve my skill, in fact I want nothing more than to relax my mind and soul as I pedal. Challenging/racing buddies over tech is not appealing to me. I'm going to stop and smell the roses and gander at the wildlife any time the opportunity arises.

I too park at Pineknot parking lot, climb 2N10 and take Skyline all the way or shortcut up Plantation to Skyline and go East and I keep going East, hoping that at least some of the guys in front of me will turn off and drop down SS so that I have the trail more to myself (and my buds), lol. Then when I have had enough, I turn around and head back West and drop down Pineknot trail or once in a while, Cabin. My Salsa will do just fine on all of that stuff. I will bring my Remedy though and on a different day, I will drive down to Exploration and chunk it up a bit, but I think my Salsa would do fine on that one, too. Then on another day, I will park over to Foreskin, ride the dirt roads up to Hanna Flats and do the ST over to Grays, climb it and drop back down on Grays back into Foreskin and back to my truck. If I have another day to ride, I will ride from my home base over to Van Dusen Canyon 3N09, climb it to Holcomb Valley 3N16, go West to Polique Canyon 2N09, head South, illegally (lol!) ride the PCT to the Cougar Crest trail and drop down to the bottom on that. Then pedal back to home base. That is all, unless I would rather pedal my roadie around the lake. See, no need for the bike park. :D

Derailing over and out...

Faust29, Cornholio, Cougar and 3 others like this.
  19. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7

Sounds like a good place AND it's closer than Big Bear!! Do you know if 29$ is for trail access? I didn't see it on the website.Did you get
    Hmmmm, if all you want to do is ride $29 is kind of alot , and without a lift!!

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Fair enough - but at least it gave me a reason to post pictures of myself and my bitchin' bike! :cool: :oops: :rolleyes:

21. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood MTB Addict

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Oh cool sounds awesome

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    By all means, post pics, lots and lots of pics! Everyone should when they can. I find it interesting to read RRs about everywhere there is to ride.

Cyclotourist, Cornholio and mtnbikej like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I agree and understand...I believe in earning your turns.

I was a SS junky back in the day before it all got shut down. Since it reopened, I have changed my riding style. I'd rather spend the time climbing up to the top than doing lap after lap on the downs. With that said, my wife got a couple of free chair passes a while back so we went to check it out. Took the Tallboy with me, but also the SS. We did 3-4 runs and I was over it. Just didn't get the same rush I used to. Went back to the car, swapped bike and spent the rest of the day riding up.

I see the allure for some riders. However the bike park atmosphere is not for me.

24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    We use the lift on every visit. But not to haul our bikes to the top, to haul our asses to the top as a relaxing family affair. We love the sensation of floating up and over, and through the gorgeous forest trees. We love the views that come into sight every inch along the way up and down the mountain. :thumbsup:

25. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I seriously thought about buying season passes this year; but I think the math works out to needing to go up 7 times or more to make it monetarily more efficient than just buying day passes. The likelihood of going up that many times (with it being 2 hours away) seemed unlikely.

I'll be going this year for sure, hopefully 3-5 times!

26. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Active Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I purchased a pass for Summit and I'm planning to be there opening day. I'm lucky to have every other Friday off and it makes for a good time. My riding friends and I have kind figured out the system ride certain trails in the morning then when it get's busy we head out into the forest a little further and maybe pound out a few park runs in the late afternoon. IMO if you want your money's worth you need to ride the trails outside of the park too. If you see a lowkey black reign say hi. I'll be there a lot.

27. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    I hope to make it up to ride the park at SS this season, haven't been in the park since '14. Also been curious about Santa's Village since I could probably take the wife and kid up for the day and go off on my own for a bit. And finally I hope to hit Mammoth at least once.

I like to pedal and challenge my endurance but I also enjoy different days on the bike so not opposed to lifts. Mammoth is not all DH, it worked my ars when I rode it in '15. Sure there was some more DH riding going on that weekend but I also had my fair share of XC runs.

*If/when I hit SS it will be on a weekday for sure.

28. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I enjoy riding my MTB wherever/whenever I can. Pavement to the trailhead, long XC rides, fire roads, chunky singletrack etc.... doesn't matter. I love being on my bike. That being said I like going up to SS a couple of times a year and ride the lift to get me some DH action. Last time I was up there on our last run we went east on Skyline and made our way back to our cars. It's all fun up there!

Cornholio, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  29. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    never been to snow summit... but old man can learn new tricks... gonna hit SS on opening day.... hope to get as many downhills as possible... gonna enjoy that lift to the top... wonder if Strava will give me credit for all that elevation? Next comes E Bike!!!

Cornholio, Faust29, Redman and 4 others like this.
  30. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It will. Been there, done that. Basically you have to turn it off when you are in the lift line, and start a new run at the top.