ShockWiz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pachaven, Mar 27, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    You may have noticed that in another thread I was raving about how my new ShockWiz helped me dial in my suspension. It was expensive at over $400 and I was thinking of doing my own rental program.
    So I have a question...How can I do that? Most of the guys I know on the trails want to try it but I need to figure out some things.
    1 How much should I rent it out for?
    2 How long should the duration be?
    3 How do I collect a deposit?
    Any input from the collective brain trust would be great. Thanks

Danmtchl, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not sure if it is worth it? My local shop (JRA) has one that they rent out. Realistically I think you only need it once?

BTW he charges $50 for a 48-hour period.

3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I would be willing to pay $100 to "share" one with some local riders. Postage is like $5 priority mail, would be two day delivery at most between users.
    Using the Ebay coupon makes it even cheaper!.
    ( wonder how long before China makes a version?)

Danmtchl, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  4. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Only thing I would be concerned about is the people renting it and breaking it (besides not returning it:Roflmao). I would absolutely charge a deposit.

You could have the renter Paypal you full pop...then upon returning it and seeing no damage...refund minus the rental fee?

Maybe Square will allow you to set up an account that lets to take a draft of a CC number so in case that if your Wiz does get damaged or not returned...you can charge the renter full pop.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I was actually interested in this product when I first heard about it as I am a set it and forget it type person ... however, $400? Ridiculous.
    I generally just tune my suspension on Rock-It.

Renting sounds reasonable ... $20 a day would be all I would pay though. The Path has it also, does anyone know how much they charge?

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I would rent one. $20 a day sounds good, but some lenient pick up and drop off protocol (day before, day after).

On the other hand, I have my suspension totally dialed, 'cuz I'm just that good! :confused:

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

For me it would just be a curiosity factor. I feel I have my bike dialed in pretty good.

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I would pay 15-20 bucks for a run down McGill. One run is pretty much all I would need right? Suspension is something I really don't like tooling with. I want to set it and forget it. If I can rent one for a run and it can help me dial in my suspension just like that? Sign me up.

I know there are people out there that can't dial in their suspension even if their life depended on it.

The guys that operate shuttles should get one and rent it out on a per run basis.:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Grassblade23 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Would rental come with a tutorial? Cus I'm paying for the easy way out, aint trying to lern nuthin o_O

11. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Great feedback guys and thanks. I thought I had my suspension dialed in also. After all, I've been doing it for 27 years, right? Boy was I wrong. I was way off and now that I have actual data...my bike feels better. But that's me. I agree that it's a "set it up once" product and then you don't need it again. I will say that it takes two or three full rides to get enough data into the Wiz for it to give you solid recommendations.
    I've spoken to some of my friends that MTB and they agree that $25 per suspension is fair. So I'm going to start with the friends and see how it goes. I will report back what they think when I have more information.
    Thanks again!!

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  12. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I would rent it. Probably for a full weekend. $50-100 I think would be reasonable. I would wait til my Mixer was finished though. And try to go on a ride w @herzalot while using it.

13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Isn't @herzalot a human shock wiz? So I've heard, I've never gotten the full suspension setup treatment. I think he's cheaper too, buy him some tacos and a beer!

Danmtchl, Mikie and Severum like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Can I be your friend?

15. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    That's the whole idea. The human bs the machine. Kinda like John Henry, but different.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Severum like this.
  16. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Herz, I have one showing up today thanks to @SnakeCharmer post on the Ebay coupon. I don't know a lot about setting up suspension and am pretty much a set to factory recommendations and ride it guy, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it tells me. Hit me up in a couple of weeks when I've had a chance to use it to dial in my settings and you can give it a try.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Makoto and 4 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Gracias, mi amoeba!

PS - Factory recommended air settings for forks are generally 20-25% too firm.

Danmtchl, Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  18. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I agree on that. I have been running less pressure in the fork than the recommendation for quite a while. Also added a spacer in the fork. So, I guess I wasn't completely a factory recommendation guy.

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  19. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    So, installed the Shockwiz last night and went for my first ride this morning. Just my normal Friday am Whiting coffee run. Looks like I was fairly close with my fork settings. Will make some adjustments and do a rerun. Unfortunately the HSC was the only one in red and the Pike is not externally adjustable for HSC. I'll dial in the others and see if it changes the HSC recommendation.

IMG_4275.PNG IMG_4274.PNG

herzalot, MolarM, siata94 and 5 others like this.
  20. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Does this Wiz thing work for Hardtails as well as FS?
    On a FS, does it monitor both fork and shock at the same time?
    I would be interested in a rental as well. Add me to the list of potential customers.

pperrelle, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  21. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    A few things. My understanding is that it will work on a HT. If you have a full suspension, you can attach one to your fork and one to your rear shock or perhaps do them independently if you don't have access to two units simultaneously. If you're in to the podcast thing, the boys at the Path did a great brief segment on the Shockwiz a few episodes ago and will likely touch on it again. It's a 3 man podcast and Tani's experience with it seemed to intrigue the other two guys to try it and I believe they will report their findings at some point.

herzalot, pperrelle, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  22. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Nice work pperrelle!!! I was not that close my first time with the Wiz. I think if you adjust the Air Spring Ramp by removing a spacer you will need to recalibrate the Wiz.

pperrelle and Danmtchl like this.
  23. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Interesting. Good timing on this post. The Sram rep just rolled through with the Wiz and we wondered about renting it out, from the shop.

herzalot likes this.
  24. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Newbie

Name:
    Al Garcia
    I just bought and installed a ShockWiz on my Pike. I'm gonna run STT/Luge tomorrow morning and see what sort of feedback/suggestions it gives me.

herzalot and MattB like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Seems like everyone wants to Wiz! :thumbsup:

And a howdy welcome to Al @ofcounsel ! :cool: