Saturday Morning Coastal Cruise

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mtnbikej, Jun 23, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 06-24-17
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ride Name: Saturday Morning Coastal Cruise
    When: Saturday June 24
    Time: 7:00 Roll Time
    Where: Quail Hill Trailhead
    Ride Description or Details:
    I'll admit, I'm a bit over the heat for a few days. So why not head down towards the coast and enjoy some cooler temps.

I'm figuring a 25'ish mile(maybe more) depending on how everyone is feeling. 4500-5000'.....maybe more.

Staring from Quail Hill Trailhead, up Serrano, down Camarillo, across Stagecoach to Willow. From there, the route is flexible...but figure some ups and some downs. We'll finish with a run down Lizard before returning long through Nix back to Quail.

Don't want to do the whole ride....meet us at the bottom of Willow.

This won't be a hammerfest pace....I'm still trying to get my legs back. However, this is not a beginner ride either.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Quail Hill Trailhead off Sand Canyon/405 Fwy
    Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace
    Type of Ride: Loop, Lolipop
    Rider Limit: Everyone
    Anticipated Mileage: 25 min for me.
    Elevation Gain: 4500+ for me
    Ride Duration: Til we are tired or it gets too hot.
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs: Lots of bailout points. They can/will be pointed out along the route.
    Facilities: Water is available at multiple sources. Restrooms at multiple locations
    Food/water suggestions: 2 Bottles for me....Tailwind. The route will works its way to locations where agua is available.
    Option to Upload:

herzalot, trmn8er, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It beats the Black Star/Motorway idea I was toying with... :thumbsup:

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It was supposed to be 90+ In the Santa Ana's tomorrow. :gag:

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... Maybe you would have gotten more takers with the promise of tacos afterwards.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    TACOS AFTER THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I will be far inland at that time. But for a good cause. Grandson's birthday party. :thumbsup:

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oooooohhhhhh.....

I could do 5-Oaks, Cholla, Stairs - meet you at Willow, then see what the future brings...

MattB, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I'm thinking it may be time to take Faust down Rattlesnake. ;)

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    We need to block the far left line!!!!

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have no idea what the implications of that are, but it sounds sinister. :whistling:

Faust29, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've watched videos before... Isn't there only one section that's really sketchy?

And, let's remember that my fork is acting a little wonky.... Much like its operator. :D

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    If anyone wants to meet us at the bottom of Willow....we should be there by about 8:00.

MattB and herzalot like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I used to ride it rigid....with rim brakes and 26" wheels. Next excuse. :whistling:

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Up hill in three feet of snow - both ways! Barefoot too!

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    By J's definition, none of it is "really sketchy." I find it delightfully chunky for about 200 yards.

16. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I could join this route. What time would you want to roll from Canyon View Park to meet them at Willow at 8?

herzalot, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Probably need to be rolling about 7:15. Do you have my digits?

18. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    @Faust29 rattlesnake is one of my favorites. Would join in, that's my backyard but out of town.

19. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Sounds like fun guys. Have a blast!!!

20. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Just got 'em. I'll be there and ready to roll by 7:15. I'll text you if anything changes.

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Rattlesnake trail video link please? I can't find anything on youtube.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well that was fun! A Five-Drop morning...

@MattB and I started with 5-Oaks, then up Cholla, down Stair steps, across Laguna Canyon. We hit the lot at 8:02. @mtnbikej and @Faust29 were there, as planned. Up Willow we go, then Missing Link, Fenceline, and the trek on over to Rattlesnake. For two miles we were riding through shoulder high clover and bees. Lots of bees. They seemed to be more agitated with each passing rider. I kept my mouth closed and fingers crossed. We finally got to the top of the Rattlesnake descent and past the bees. No one got stung.

Group photo at the top of Fenceline/Missing Link. J, Herz, Faust, Matt

J, Faust, mattb and me 6-24-17.jpg

Rattlesnake was fun and chunky as always. I had a good run. Matt hadn't been there for a while so was unsure of a couple of lines, but did quite well. Steve hadn't done the run before, so he did recon. As usual, J showed us that rear suspension and gearing aren't necessary when you have talent and fitness.

Then it was the fireroads down and back up to the top of the park, where we parted company again. Thank you Steve for hanging back with Captain Slow (me). The two intrepid singlespeeders headed for fenceline, Lizard, Laurel, Camarillo and back to their starting point. Matt and I cruised Bommer ridge headed for some T and A. We both had a really fun run down through the T and A chunk. then it was time to climb back up stair steps.

I knew it would happen. We were 3500' of climbing in and my quads cramped on me while climbing Philips Rd to Stairs. I forgot that I had a bottle of hot shot in my pack for just such an occasion. Slow walk up the remainder of Philip and the usual push up Stairs.

Given my legs, I couldn't make a pull up to Car Wreck, so we finished with Rock-It. LCF was out cutting back brush. We tiptoed past all the workers and said our thank yous to all. I thought we were past the work and I started to drop the hammer. Ooops, came a round a blind turn and almost crashed into the man, the myth, the legend - the leader of the LCF trail "improvement" team. I felt bad. He and are are just destined for conflict. Sorry Mike - and thank you LCF for clearing brush and NOT touching the tread.

That's about it. Temps never got above 70°. A little slimy from the moisture in the air. 22 miles and 3914 on my device. Matt's Garmin had us over 4000' so I'll go with that.

23. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    ^^^ What he said.

It was cool to ride with some legendary imtbtrails riders today. After reading all of their ride reports, I finally made it out to join them. Herz was seriously quick on the downs and was a lot of fun to try to chase, especially down T&A. I even learned a couple new lines that I'd never noticed on some familiar trails. I couldn't believe how quick J was on a couple of the trails where I was following him and I was working really hard to try to keep up on my full suspension bike. Herz isn't kidding about J's handling skills on that hardtail! I don't usually ride with many singlespeeders. Usually, it makes my legs hurt just watching them climb. Today it was pretty impressive climbing with J and Faust and watching them just grind up everything. Maybe someday I'll give it a try.o_O

And yes, the official climbing number was 4,245' for Herz and I for the day ... when in doubt, the higher number must be right.:D

24. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Nice work on the two park combo meal guys! TnA is running great right now. @MattB I assume one of the lines that herz showed you was the high right line on slick rock slabby thing towards the bottom? Also did you guys do the roller in the 3 line zone? I haven't yet because I'm not ready right meow. :unsure:

herzalot likes this.
  25. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Yep, it was that high right line.:thumbsup: I've done the roller down the middle once and jumped the drop to the left a few times, but today we took the line to the right. Still fun and challenging. I haven't felt like taking the chance on launching off the drop to the left for a good year or so. The one time I did the roller in the middle, a small pothole at the bottom almost stopped my front wheel and nearly sent me over. Instead I had an unpleasant encounter with the back of my seat. If you roll it, make sure you scope out the transition at the bottom and avoid the pothole/dip.

herzalot likes this.
  26. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    That's what I figured. I use to do that line but it's a bit more tricky than in years past. Also I'm a wuss... As for the roller I know what you're talking about in terms of the pot hole. It's rider left on it and the more right line on the roller seems much better. Might have to hit TnA tomorrow. Sounds like you guys had a great time. :thumbsup:

herzalot and MattB like this.
  27. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    New PR for elevation!?!?!

herzalot likes this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Possibly! I certainly haven't been in that realm often, unless a chairlift or shuttle truck was involved.

29. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Nice ride gents! Anniversary weekend is keeping me off the trails, but I will probably roll for a bit today.

"The right line on the thick rock slabby thing " is that the one where the left line is white rock?

If so, I didn't know that there was a right line.

Edit: Yes @Faust29 and @jzilla are specimens, and @jzilla's bike handling is always amazing to behold.

Nice ride. Nice elevation. Good job @herzalot !

MattB, Faust29, kioti and 2 others like this.
  30. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Nice ride report! Good to meet @herzalot today albeit at the cars.

There were lots of kids out today on the Aliso side. How was it on the Laguna side? Good to see the little ones out on the trails instead of the ipads.

DangerDirtyD, Oaken, MattB and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?