SART

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    My thoughts on this trail:

I had no preconceived expectations, other than it would be fun.

I will admit that the singletrack after the Post Office had some pucker factor, but in a good way. I have lost most of my aversion to exposure, but I freely admit that a couple of spots were right up against the limit of my comfort zone. BUT - I rode it, I enjoyed it, and I realized that it wasn't that bad, really. :sneaky:

The pace was faster than I should have gone, and so I turned around at Glass Road, at mile 15. The new 1x11 setup worked as it should have. I was able to moderate the heart rate, although climbing Middle Control from the beginning I pushed it harder than I should have. Still good.

Having had breakfast at 5:30, and the ride starting at 9:00, and not making the time to hit the 1st Endurance in my water bottles, I pretty much jinxed myself on this ride. That's why I had to cut it short - my body was telling me to eat; there was no way to do so.

I need to do this again, but will plan to have breakfast on the way - IHOP or Denny's, whichever I can find within 30 minutes of the trailhead. :sick:

Great to meet a bunch of folks from the site, although I'll never keep up with names to avatars for many. But it was a great time. Thanks for allowing me to join in and have such a great time today.

Most of the group going up Middle Control Road:
    20170812_091707.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Waiting for the other 17 reports to filter in... :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Varaxis and 8 others like this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Nice meeting you. We were all wiped out in the end. Bringing your A game as Mikie said for this trail is a must.

4. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Mr. Brown... officially tuckered out ...but awesome day. Will respond at some point when brain engages again....

Nice to meet you..

5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:

I can't put my finger on it, but the 2,500 feet I climbed on this trail seemed like way more. Maybe because much of it is climbing singletrack that demands your full attention. Not sure.

6. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    You go fingered it, don't forget about the elevation.

hill^billy, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    It was the heat that got me. I HATE heat! :laugh:

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    HEY! That's ME!

9. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Haha! What heat? I think it was a combo of the heat and elevation.

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    True. What is the elevation range over the course of that ride? I forgot to look at that on my Garmin Connect page.

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    From 5,000 to almost 6,400.

12. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    No group picture?

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Varaxis and 3 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    @Mikie will be posting those. :)

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Varaxis and 3 others like this.
  14. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I've said this before, one of my favorite trails. This time it kicked my butt. This ride happened just because Vince left a comment on Mikie Strava saying "When are we riding SART?" Mikie made it happen.:thumbsup: 17 other crazies joined in. The weather was a little too hot for my liking. I was slow on the climbs all day long as a result. I tend to like riding in the back anyways. Thankfully there is water near South Fork or I would have died. The descents were flowy as usual. At one point my front wheel rolled over a large loose rock and almost crashed. That would have been bad at speed. I praise the DHF for grabbing traction . Vince rode in the mid pack most of the day. He had two crashes. One on the DH part of the PO Loop. I don't have the details. The other on a tight exposed turn with a tree stump sticking out. Hit the stump with the bars and down he went. Almost tumbled down the exposure but was able to grab hold. He would also start to bonk from the heat but would recover. Brutal day. Should have brought the "A" game. The rider fellowship makes it all worth it. Great time riding with everyone! Pizza afterwards.:cool:. I'm tired.:sleep:

sart8133017.jpg

15. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Way to mob it, guys!

No mechanicals or spills? Memorable quips? Compromising riding attire? Seems like nobody went to the ER, so I'm projecting total success. :)

16. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    5000' - 6500'

Edit: oops, see RWS comment

17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I made an inspection of both dirt and rock at different points. Blood only due to overgrowth, though. One youngster had his rear wheel drop loose and concomitant chain / derailleur issues. Solved, successful conclusion to ride.

Quote of the day: @mtnbikej says "From here on it's flowy uphill singletrack." :eek:

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    A few random pics that were also included in today's relive.

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I saw two of the guys in the group wash out on the PO drop and go off trail slightly which stalled them out. I also washed out in front but I saw it coming so I recovered instantly.

20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Wait, wha?! Herd immunity to C+ riding.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Well I rode in Angelus Oaks today, and not by myself! As I anticipated, my endurance sucked, so I just did the Post Office Loop. Slowly. Most everyone else went on to ride the full monty up to Southfork. They rode the SART up there rather than Seven Oaks, which is pretty hard core! Good job up there, IMTBers!

My front end washed out in some sand, mostly from inattention on my part. My son's rear wheel had some issues with the q/r letting loose. Other than that, pretty good day!

Here's a photo of my bike, followed by one of @PATKOUG hopping out of the Santa Ana River after a post-ride dunk!

36390775241_e13e45ab8c_b.jpg

As always, it's great getting to ride with you people, even if it's for less than planned! Looked like everyone had a great time out that, and glad to be able to meet up for a second or two for post-ride feeding frenzy!!!

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    This was my bail-out spot, unfortunately...

23. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    "Dan" Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Expected clear photos of the "Crusader helmets", donned by Mikie and others. Disappointed. :giggle:

*still watching out for Mikie's shadow to pull out a Highlander sword*

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  24. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Super fun group, I thought the weather was perfect. I work outside everyday in the IE so guess I am used to 95+. Can't wait til the next one.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    I've been wanting to hit up SART....but I was hesitant because I knew the bugs would be bad, so I usually wait til later in the season. This ride came up, my radar was clear, so I put it on the schedule.

We met up with the gang at the top of Middle Control Road, then proceeded to caravan down to the bottom of the dirt road. Glad I'm not washing my car tomorrow. :whistling:

Everyone geared up and we were off. Now I usually start at the top and do the MCR climb at the end, when my legs are warmed up. Starting at the bottom meant a stout climb on cold legs. We stayed close together for a while, then the peleton blew up. We regrouped at the top, before heading over to hit up the Post Office Loop. I was up towards the front of the group. It was pretty dry and dusty, so it was hard to see at times. We came around one corner to see Vincent off the side of the trail...he said he was good. Not 1-2 mins later we came around another corner to see @Cyclotourist son off the side of the trail....he seemed to be good. We pushed on....we all walked the HAB. I have only done the PO Loop a few times...so right about the time I was starting to think that it seemed so much longer today, we started the climb back up to MCR. The group was pretty stretched out, so the regroup at MCR took a while. Immediately the bugs came out...so I finally broke out the head net....ahhhhh, so much nicer.

After the rest of the group showed up, we dropped down MCR and picked up SART. We lost a few riders at this point, so our numbers started to dwindle. The pace wasn't fast, but it wasn't slow. We just kinda kept rolling. @Mikie blew himself up pushing to clean a water crossing followed by a rock garden. So I took over the lead. A short time later we reached Glass Rd. Another long stop while we awaited the group to catch up.

At this point the group decreased/split up. @Runs with Scissors and @SnakeCharmer weren't feeling it, so they called it a day and headed back. @Tom the Bomb @bvader and a few others decided to climb up 7 Oaks Rd, while the rest of us climbed up the SART singletrack. @burt took off like a madman....we wouldn't see him again until we reached South Fork. @Varaxis sat on my back wheel most of the way up. We once again were spread out thin. This section from Glass Rd to South Fork is a little longer, but goes by quicker.

We reached South Fork at TTB's group was already there. Some of us stopped at the creek to cool off. The water was cold and refreshing. A quick run over to South Fork Campground for a water refill.

From there it was on...we headed downhill....well, uphill, then downhill, then up, then down.....yeah, there is a lot of climbing on the DH. While the temps had been pretty comfortable all day, it did finally begin to get hot...but it was a dry heat. The trail is getting a little loose, but it is still a fun ride.

Fun time seeing all the gang again, and meeting a few more members. I'll admit that I didn't bring my A Game today. I have lost confidence in the Racing Ralph on the front of the SS, in addition to forgetting to let some air out of the rear tire had me all over the place...I just felt sketchy all day. The big breaks took their toll on me....but that is part of these bigger group rides.

Good pizza afterwards.

My only pic for the day was actually before the ride.....
    IMG_2920.JPG

26. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Great write up J! :thumbsup:

And good work out there, pilgrims! :cool:

27. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    2012 Yeti ASR 5c
    I will post pics tomorrow...
    Well I beat myself up today. The heat does not bother me but like @mtnbikej said the long breaks as we regrouped killed my legs. But no worries a big group will do that and that was totally expected.
    There ain't nothing more funner than riding with imtbtrails folks. I think it's because we know each other from the site and so getting out there on the trail you are right at home.
    This whole thing is Vince's (aka Trail Slayer's) fault. End of last week he dropped a note on a STRAVA ride asking when we were hitting up SART.
    Throwing it out there on TrIlheads netted 19 riders showing up!

@UPSed and I carpooled. I was up at 4:30am and met Ed in Sylmar with still 100 miles to drive. Thanks for breakfast, lunch and brew today Ed!

We stopped at Subway at the perfect time so when we hit the trail I felt fantastic, even cold my legs felt great. Had some glitches on Post Office but once we hit The SART climb I was still feeling good. Like J said, once I pushed it to clean the creek crossing I sorta bonked. Let Riders go by and threw it in cruise. After Glass Rd.

I have to say,Vince realized I was bonking and totally took care of me. Held back and kept an eye, thanks my friend! I sure do appreciate you brothah!

Up at South Fork dropping my Halo into the creak and tossing it was both refreshing and exhilarating! Some of us were dragging today. Dropping down SART is not exactly a DH'er, you get to earn the sections of descent in between the climbs. I was not feeling it plus I wanted to make sure the remainder of the group got back to Trailhead, so I hit it in spurts.

But all in all we got home. Headed over to the Gourmet Pizza place and got some pizza and I had two recovery 805's... yowzah! The carbs put me back on the map!
    @Cyclotourist (David) met us there and we enjoyed some grub together.

On the trail, Vince asked me what was next. I asked if he had ever done the Cannel Plunge and he said NO!

Guys? Be prepared for a Cannell Plunge run next!
    imtbtrails family is the best family!

Like I said, pics to be posted tomorrow!
    Awesome day with awesome people!

28. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Highball SS and Chameleon
    First time on the PO loop for me! This was the "test run" after my initial air pressure issues with the Chameleon... I was a little hesitant as my last ride saw me go down pretty hard on the Luge. I think I have them very close to where they need to be... finally. I hung with the back of the pack on this section, and followed a local and just felt out the tires. Thanks, @Cyclotourist for leading me down! Unfortunately, this also meant I had a front row seat when he chose to sample the fine PO loop dirt on a loose narrow section that gave away. :whistling: Also the section I saw the only (?) mechanical of the day. David's son, floppy quick release, and a derailleur in the spokes... Hopefully nothing is bent beyond repair and it's just a QR issue. I like the looks of those German hardtails... :thumbsup:

As the day went on, I got more and more comfortable with the clown wheels (27.5 x 3.0 Rangers), and had an absolute blast riding with everyone. @slomosapien and I have ridden together a couple of times, but this was the first time we really hung together for an extended time. Chasing him up and down SART was definitely one of the highlights of the day! He and that bright Stumpy are a great match... And hard to catch! :thumbsup:

The single track climb up to Southfork Campground was a little tough... @mtnbikej and @Varaxis were out front leading the charge on the 6 mile climb. I tried to hang on, but fell off the back, and ended up riding a lot of this section alone in single speed mode. The water at the end was cold... Really cold.

IMG_0667.jpg

Mikie wasn't the only one to take a dunk... He's just the most photogenic.
    IMG_0672.jpg

Southfork Campground for a water refill before heading down... Chameleon and Stumpy
    IMG_0674.jpg

SART from Southfork back to Glass Road was a riot! Up, down, sideways... Playing leapfrog with @slomosapien and @UPSed and trying to hang onto @Mikie for an extended time was a blast. I had more fun through that section with the large IMTB crowd than during Hell Ride!

The only guy that I saw who didn't go around the rock...

Redlands pizza afterwards... I learned that single speeders like meat covered pizzas, and guys with 26 inch wheels like gluten-free veggie pizzas. :gag:

It's not a pizza without meat. :stop:
    IMG_0697.jpg

Interesting Cast of Characters...
    IMG_0700.jpg

29. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Good times Steve, you look good on that Amazing bike also.

30. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    "Dan" Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)

Was falling asleep looking through hours of video footage for clips, to show the action on the ride and what the trail was like, and didn't get to watch the end result before uploading... hopefully it turns out alright.

Send thanks to JJ @slomosapien for being an absolute gentleman and a bro for offering to give my car-less self a lift over to make this ride, and also load and unload my bike off his truck (while his dangled on a top-tube-hanging-style rack). Would have just accepted not being able to make it due to lack of transportation, and not being forward enough to ask, if not for him.