SART: The Post Office Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, May 18, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    SART, Santa Ana River Trail is located on the East side of San Bernardino, and I would guess that the closest town would be Mentone, trailhead is just North if not actually in Angelus Oaks. I heard about it about two years ago and have wanted to ride it ever since. Always seemed that something came up right when I planned to go. In fact, we were supposed to ride it last weekend but we decided to go up to Big Bear with Dennis White to do the US Cup route for the State race coming up.

Rumor has it that it's the longest continuous singletrack in California. I heard of events using this trail even called "Hell Ride" & "Bender's Ride".

The thing of it is, "Most" rides could be a piece of cake depending on controlled effort and pace. After riding SART . . . this ain't one of them.

The Cast-O-Crazies for this ride were some the of the usual suspects with some new additions: Rossage (who called the ride and was the typical amazing ride leader), Hill^billy (who never misses a beat to hit up the big rides), Scottay (who I never get to ride enough with), BBJohn (who we were lucky to find in Big Bear last weekend!), Jose' (a friend of rossage who drove a long way to ride with us), DangerDirtyD (who never spoke up about showing and surprised us all with his immaculate presence. What a treat!), and yours truly...

My standard bike shadow pic on the way there or back from a ride.
    IMG-20140517-01520.jpg

Bonus pic...
    IMG-20140517-01523.jpg

Shadow legs... IMG-20140517-01525.jpg

Meet time was 9:30 at the trailhead, getting up at 6:00am was nice for once for a long distant ride. For me it was a 2 hour 50 minute commute to the start location. Meeting Hill^billy and Scottay at the Park and Ride in Newhall at 7:20, so we could pile into Hill^Billy's gas guzzling truck to give us the opportunity to talk our usual "sh!t talk" about each other, well . . . mostly about hill^billy (he's such an easy target ;) ) as we traveled together down the 210 freeway for what seemed like eternity both ways (especially on the way home! :? ).

Hill^billy had to eat his humongous bowl of cereal spilling it all over his lap as we flew at 40,000 feet (I mean 80 miles per hour), nearly killing several Saturday morning commuters. At one point I'm yelling, "Whoa, Whoa, WHOAHH!" as this black car was literally under the passenger side mirror as we passed the poor dude.

When we showed up in the parking lot, there were quite a few cars, and there was rossage pouring on the sunscreen in a lounge chair. Then I notice John! Didn't know he was going, what an awesome surprise! Rossage introduced us to Jose and while we were shooting the breeze, some dude pulled up in a white pickup, there was something about the gazillion stickers on the inside of the truck bed that seemed familiar. I thought to myself, "Dennis?" It WAS Dennis! aka DangerDirtyD! The fricken' billy goat from Irvine! Between rossage, BBJohn, and DangerDirtyD, this was sizing up for a climb-fest.

The hill^billy Super Bowl of cereal.
    IMG-20140517-01526.jpg

Full house for a trailhead. We hardly saw anyone on the trail.
    IMG-20140517-01528.jpg

Now there are several ways to attack SART. Most of which include shuttling. As most know, I'm not much of a shuttler unless it makes sense. Like the Palm Canyon Epic makes sense. So does shuttling SART. But NOT today, today we're we doing something called the Post Office Loop...

I'm going to need to rely on some pics from my buds on this ride. I have NEVER forgotten a jersey and today I did. I say that cuz I carry my camera in the right rear pocket for easy access. I borrowed a jersey from triple "D" and it had no pockets. Thanks for the use bud! So I got a few pics...

Danger Dirty "D" trolling for something.
    IMG-20140517-01529.jpg

BBJohn beng camera shy.
    IMG-20140517-01530.jpg

hill^billy discovering right up front he was having rear derailluer trouble.
    IMG-20140517-01531.jpg

Danger Dirty "D"
    IMG-20140517-01532.jpg

rossage our fearless leader.
    IMG-20140517-01533.jpg

Jose, the long distant traveller.
    IMG-20140517-01534.jpg

I guess I should say a little about the trail . . ha ha! I would call it mostly flowy smooth and certainly would not consider it chunky. A little on the dry side, at times even dusty. It has it's few moments of chunk but not enough to say, "Hey! Bring a full suspension!" Rossage was on a rigid (cuz he's frigid :shock: ), but I find rossage to be an excellent rider both climbing and descending (although he get's in MY way a lot while descending :lol: ). There is some good exposure in several places to make it interesting, some great switchbacks, some nice narrow stuff, a medium stream crossing where you have the option to ride a couple of wide railroad ties across and not get wet (hill^billy opted for that on the way back and cleaned it...nice!). As well as a couple of log crossings that are easily cleanable. But the whole time you are either climbing or descending and I think that the combo of twisty singletrack and the rise and fall of elevation could get you if you are not paying attention... There is nothing I would consider steep, and there were no hike-a-bikes.

During the summer take lots of water. I took a 100oz. CamelBak and ran dry at the campground at the turn-around point. Fortunately the campground was open and they have fresh water hose bibs everywhere. On the weekend, watch for hikers both going up and down. I must admit, there was some great scenery here and there riding down and up the trail. The dudes I ride with certainly don't look like them! :eek:

Funny, for a Saturday, how many cars with bikes were parked at the trailhead we left from, we hardly saw anyone on the trail and "none" going in our direction... :cool:

BBJohn fueling up at a quick regroup.
    IMG-20140517-01535.jpg

Jose was huffing and puffing so bad on the trail . . . I starting gaspiong for air!
    IMG-20140517-01536.jpg

Sweet sweet singletrack.
    IMG-20140517-01537.jpg

Creek crossing and that water was CHILLY! I dipped my bandana in it and yikes!
    IMG-20140517-01538.jpg

IMG-20140517-01539.jpg

Eating lunch at the turn around.
    IMG-20140517-01540.jpg

scottay looked like the mad Einstein of Mountain Biking.
    IMG-20140517-01541.jpg

Baxk at the trailhead, Jose was hurting... Iv'e never seen Jose since.
    IMG-20140517-01542.jpg

Ross was rossage stoked and ready to go again.
    IMG-20140517-01543.jpg

BBJohn was just happy to be riding with other mountain bikers.
    IMG-20140517-01544.jpg

scottay with a hat to cover all that hair.
    IMG-20140517-01545.jpg

Danger Dirty "D" acting like the crazy gGreek that he is.
    IMG-20140517-01546.jpg

Yo Esse . . . . sup?!?
    IMG-20140517-01547.jpg

Burnt, but existing I was.
    IMG-20140517-01548.jpg

Dougie survived his shifting debacle.
    IMG-20140517-01549.jpg

BBJohn was staying at his cabin in Big Bear so he went the opposite direction. What a great rider and a good dude. I'm glad he found us, he's a great addition to our crew...

Rossage suggested we go to the Mill Creek Cattle Company for some Bar-B-cue in Mentone. It was a cool looking place. Had way too many false doors to get into the place. Inside it was so dark you could barely see your food in front of you. Kinda scary. Out of all the hot waitresses we got the old chick. I know, that sounds cruel. But there were some hot waitresses in there, ha hah! None the less the service was great. The beer was large and cold. When we got our orders, everyone raved about their plates. I got a pulled pork sandwich and it was both too much to finish and delicious. I got a side of their homemade potato salad and it was awesome! In the end, we all scored the Mill Creek Cattle Company a 5 stars, out of 5!

IMG-20140517-01550.jpg
    IMG-20140517-01551.jpg
    IMG-20140517-01552.jpg

Our steeds better be safe!
    IMG-20140517-01553.jpg

Hungry and impatient there are too many flippin doors on the outside of the building. Took a bit to find the right one.
    IMG-20140517-01554.jpg

This place is super dark inside, bring your miners cap. Triple D giving me his sexy eyes...
    IMG-20140517-01555.jpg

rossage stoke for meat type products.
    IMG-20140517-01556.jpg

Jose, upon recovering was found to be a very funny guy. Here, he isa doing his Guido impression, or was the God Father?
    IMG-20140517-01557.jpg

hill^billy looking stately.
    IMG-20140517-01558.jpg

Me? I'm doing my Disneyland haunted hous impression.
    IMG-20140517-01559.jpg

But the food? Was absolute top notch! Brisket was amazing...
    IMG-20140517-01562.jpg

.....ironically, the potato salad was best I have ever had.
    IMG-20140517-01563.jpg

After nearly going comatose from all that food, we parted ways at the Mill Creek Smokehouse. rossage says that if you tell someone that you have ridden SART and they ask you what section, when you tell them you did the Post Office Loop, and they know the trail? They know you have done SART!

I'm just glad that for once hill^billy drove instead of me. I was beat and could use the cruise back to Santa Clarita riding shot gun. Naturally we talked sh!t all the way home listening to some good ole classic rock. But that's just us.

Another EPIC adventure with some of the best guys on the planet...

2. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    SART! Way worth the drive! Best part of the trip? Rosses ribs, hands down! :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  3. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Heres some pics of the actual ride. Not of shadows and people eating! :D

rossage_SART_06.jpg

rossage_SART_05.jpg

rossage_SART_04.jpg

rossage_SART_03.jpg

rossage_SART_02.jpg

rossage_SART_01.jpg

4. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Damn forgot to rotate once again! Oh well, suck it up princess. Didnt get a pic of Dion he was rocking the downhill.

Mikie likes this.
  5. imtbtrails

imtbtrails Guest

You know I would not be able to stand it and feex those pics, you lazy azz Vaporman!

Mikie likes this.
  6. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    One of the best socal trails!!!!
    Scottay had the Einstein hair thing going in a couple of those pics.
    Doug looking like an old man looking down your glasses at the restaurant!!
    Mikie love the Jordan tongue riding technique,does it help your climbing???

That last climb seems like it never ends as you make every turn hoping its the last one!

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  7. BBJohn

BBJohn Active Member

Name:
    John
    Great day of riding with a bunch of awesome guys. Thanks Ross for setting this up. It was nice to meet Hillbilly, Scottay, Jose and Dennis. Truth be told I didn't go up to my cabin, I'm just to cheap to help chip in for dinner. :lol:

Glad we picked yesterday to ride this. There was a small fire last night through this morning about 1/2 a mile to a mile southwest of our turn around point in Southfork. Nothing major, but with higher winds it could have been potentially really bad. If you go to this site and hit the San Bernardino Mtns daily time lapse and fast forward to about 11:40 pm you can see the fire start.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bensweather.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bensweather.com/</a>

Thanks again guys lots of fun.

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    .......................................................................noooooo. :cautious:

9. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yah John, it was nice meeting you. Looking forward to sometime when you can show me some Big Bear ST!

Mikie likes this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Duuudes! What a Ride! I had a great time choking on some dusty Cali duff and dishing out some of my own too. Rossage, Mikie, hill^billy...great to see you guys again! Jose, Scottay, BBjohn...it was great to meet you under such perfect circumstances. I couldn't have asked for a better day! Everyone ripped. Rossage, I don't know how you do everything so fast on that rigid rig...impressive! Everytime I looked back there was a different rider dogging me...First Scottay, then Jose...so I figured 'alright, I'll kick it into high gear'...next time I turned around, Mikie had suddenly appeared on my tail! You guys were just sitting back having a few laughs, taking turns holding my wheel...I know what you were up to! There was no catching BBjohn back up the climb to the post office...he probably just got warmed up around the 25th mile! Meanwhile, hill^billy suffers a twisted rear derailleur cage around the 5th mile or so but manages to finish with the group right on pace and was the only rider witnessed to having crossed Forsee Creek without getting his feet wet...that's worth at least 10 points!

Oh, and Greece is gonna win the World Cup

11. BBJohn

BBJohn Active Member

Name:
    John
    There is no ST in BB. Just ask any of the guys that rode up there last weekend. Ahahaha
    Anytime man! I'll start putting together a route for us that loops a bunch of it.

Mikie likes this.
  12. shudder

shudder Member

Name:
    Michael McClure
    Great RR! Hope to get out there one day. I used to hang out at Jenks Lake when I was a kid. That's somewhere up near the top TH isn't it?

Well done.

- shud

Mikie likes this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    SARTSARTSARTSARTSARTSARTSARTSARTSARTSART

IMG-20140517-00471.jpg

IMG-20140517-00472.jpg

IMG-20140517-00474.jpg

IMG-20140517-00479.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Scottay...? I meant Mikie the Ripper!

Notice in the parking lot photo Jose still on the ground, having been able to muster 3 whole steps from where he dropped his bike before he, too, hit the asphalt.

IMG-20140517-00473.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  15. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Great RR and pics guys! scan and I did that same ride last summer but we climbed up the FS road instead of that last singletrack section and saw a bear :shock: ! That's a great trail!

Hey Mikie, forget about your climbing, does the Jordan tongue help your jump shot :lol: ?

scottay, I for one, am very jealous of your hair. :mrgreen:

Mikie likes this.
  16. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I hate you all!! Ok, I'm just jealous. But I still hate you all!!

Mikie likes this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    .......................................................................noooooo. :cautious:

18. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That fireroad climb is really not any better than the singletrack. I recommend it next time.

I hope to set up a super shuttle/camping ride soon. We would be based in South Fork,and the ride would be a shuttle down to Mentone...before it gets too hot....let's do it!!!!

Mikie likes this.
  19. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Good ride report Mikie. Ross count me in for the next round. On the second day we could hit BB.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    A great memory! We gotta do this one again!

21. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    When you're ready let's do it before the weather turns on us.

Mikie likes this.
  22. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    In about a week and a half. Hell Ride!

Mikie likes this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Thanks for bumping this up top, looked like a great ride!

Mikie likes this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I can see I'm gonna have to make it out there to check out this Post Office Loop.

Mikie likes this.