RR: THE TOBIAS TRAIL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    TOBIAS!
    Located in the Kernville Area...
    Tobias meaning “The goodness God” in Hebrew! Also known as a Jewish hero who teamed up with the archangel, Raphael. The Urban Dictionary claims it as a super name for someone sporting a six pack!
    Tobias Trail happens to run past Tobias Peak and along the Tobias Creek, but to get there you have to climb (at least we did) The Portuguese Trail... well, at least some of it.
    When Tony Arnold had invited me up on Memorial Day to do Bear Creek Trail near Camp Nelson, I had mentioned to you guys that we ran into jfsh. During that conversation he said that I ought to come up and bring a few guys to do a trail called Tobias. I thought, “Oh man! I’ve finally made it into the "inside crew" with jfsh and get to experience some more secret local stuff!”

So I PM’ed him, then I emailed him, and then finally I beat on his front door! No… I didn’t do that. When I finally got the nod to put some riders together, I was trying to be respectful and put it out there without, you know, putting it out there? It turns out this is a totally legit trail and it needs some serious riding done on it to get re-established. So the invite, and the trail is out there… go get you some!
    So as you all know, it was on the imtbtrails "Trailhead" as an invite and all you dingbat’s totally missed out on another jfsh Epic Adventure! Well all of you except the two smart guys that went with me, UPSed and burt! Uhhh, so Ed and Burt?… was it worth it you guys?

Now one thing you gotta know is that if it is a jfsh adventure, it’s going to have features, and they are going to test your prowess on a Mountain Bike. but let’s get there shall we?

The awesome UPSed decided to chauffeur burt and I (Thanks ED!), picked up burt in Castaic, and then picked me up at the Flying J off Interstate 5 in Lebec at 6:45am sharp and they were right on exact time! Great job! Because we needed to be at the Kernville Riverside Park at 8:30 an hour and 45 minutes away. I think we arrive at like 8:20am. About 10 minutes later, jfsh comes rolling up on his bike with all his gear. He drove his truck up to the trails end at McNally’s with his motorcycle in the bed of his truck, and then rode his motorcycle back to his house to grab his bike and gear, and then ride it to the Park to meet us. That’s! The kinda guy jfsh is!

We loaded up Jeff in UPSed’s truck and we drove back towards Wolford Heights and took a right on highway 155 and headed up to Greenhorn Summit, the same pass that you would go to on your way to Just Outstanding but instead of turning left towards Just Outstanding, you turn right towards Portuguese Pass. We stopped right there just off the highway and parked, there were a few mountain bikers there as we got our gear on and headed North on the fire road.

At one point we decided to jump on the Portuguese Trail that follows along the fire road up, naturally it was right where a steep hike-a-bike starts so we had a short hoofin' to do.
    On the singletrack climb up, we saw a mountain biker descending down. As she started to pass me she says, “Mikie Watson?” Uh oh…
    Turns out its Janice Ruben, a onetime Supah Chick that raced mountain bikes back in the day and she and I and a group of several went out and did the Kokopelli Trail together back in 2012. She used to live in Frazier Park where I convinced her one time to take me out and show me a Secret Trail in Frazier, but now lives in Weldon as the Post Master and she was out for a solo Saturday spin… NICE!

So we continued up more of the Portuguese Trail and we came across more mountain bikers we knew, this time its Allison Diller and some of the locals out for a spin as well. What the? It’s a who’s who of mountain biking day in Kernville! She had to immediately jump on jfsh’s brand new Specialized and roll around on it checking out the suspension. You see, Allison can probably kick most of imtbtrails azz on a mountain bike both on the trails or in the Bike Parks… no lie. She . . . . . KILLS IT! I’ll let jfsh finish that true story.

So we CONTINUE to attempt to ride our bikes with hopefully no more interruptions, but when we hit a section even further out, we run across some guys out of both Bakersfield and Tehachapi that both jfsh and I know.

One of the guys looks at me and says, “Didn’t you used to ride a cantilevered fork on a red bike?”
    I say, “You mean a Proflex?”
    He says, “Yeah, you would show up at the Tuesday night SSFTA rides in Bakersfield and I would chase your ass all day!”
    Then I remembered him, his name was Eric! Great guy! I also remembered another guy with him from the SSFTA rides; as well, I knew the guy from Tehachapi named Ken who helped big time on the trail trimming on Golden Eagle this last time we hit it hard. Small world!

Along the way burt decides he needs to complicate his day. He gets a pinch flat running tubeless?!?!? What the? Now THAT is low tire pressure! We watched as burt did his absolute best to turn it in to a "full on" science project. Finally after much attempt and tire pumping to get it to re-seal... he decides to put a tube in it and we get on our way! Yay!!! Just razzin' yah burt. We all take turns with those... :D

burt was pretty much the bird dog all day. That guy has endless energy and will buzz around the pack no matter who is with you. Talk about a strong rider with endless horsepower. As well, burt has some mad bike handling skills on his cantilever braked hardtail. We should all pitch in and buy burt a new bike. He has certainly earned it!

When we finally got to the TOBIAS Trail, it leaves right out of Frog Meadows Campground, quickly runs into a stream that unites with Tobias Creek and the fun begins (well, the fun never ended). The trail has a few creek crossings, then turns into a descent. The descent into a plunge, then the plunge turns into a drop! I’m talking twisting turns in powderized dirt down around bushes, rocks, boulders, over boulders, rock drops on steep descent, all the while your chest is at the back edge of your seat. Loved it! Not to mention “The Ladder” and “The Log Ride” features that jfsh built into this Epic Trail...

We hit a larger pond crossing and stopped to pull off our jerseys and soak them in the water. It was cold but only took seconds to get used to once put back on. The weather had been awesome all day just slightly on the warm side. But better yet as the day grew on and we dropped in elevation, a huge cloud cover was developing so it stayed relatively cooler. The Tobias Trail god was on our side! Combined with the perfect breeze we had great evaporative cooling going on.
    One more hike-a-bike just before we tip toed through a small patch of poison oak, all of hike-a-bikes were minor climbs, then some rollers and hillside singletrack that we slunk along getting closer and closer to the mighty Kern River. Tobias ties into the last (or first section) of the Whiskey Flats Trail (one of my favorites...Ha hah! :| ) The Kern River, even when low it is still an awesome site. The river was packed with people trying to escape the heat. As we came to the old bridge crossing you could smell the cooking going on at McNally’s. The trail ends right at a place to eat or drink.

We loaded up in jfsh's pre planted truck, saving ourselves for The Kern River Brewery Company, where it’s always packed, loud, and full of good home brew and burgers. Afterwards jfsh took us back to UPSed’s truck up at the trailhead and we said our goodbyes!

Just a little about jfsh: Here is a guy who has lived in Kernville since he was 3. This guy loves mountain biking. Willing to go out and fix trails, add trails, and develop awesome additional features, builds alternate routes that make better sense or that adds more technical fun, and does some serious revitalization both on his own and with the Stewards of the Sequoias. He is the nicest, most patient trail guide and leader. My helmet is off to jfsh who always makes you feel welcome, important, and eager to take you on one of his crazy adventures if you are up for it.

Thanks Man! You are an imtbtrails/mountain bike icon and a good friend jfsh!

Mikie
    :thumbup: Bike ON!!
    38.mcnally.sign.jpg 37.mcnallys.jpg 36.bridge.jpg 35.kern.river.2.jpg 34.kern.river.jpg 33.jfsh.smiling.jpg 32.jfsh.upsed.jpg 31.pond1.jpg 30.hard.way.jpg 29.burt.jpg 28.jfsh.jpg 27.chase.jfsh.jpg 26.jfsh.wheelie.drop.jpg 25.plunge.with.boulders.jpg 24.burt.jpg 23.sceanery.jpg 22.surprise.exposure3.jpg 21.surprise.exposure2.jpg 20.surprise.exposure.jpg 19.jumps.jpg 18.log.ride.upsed.jpg 17.log.ride.jpg 16.log.ride.jpg 15.upsed.jpg 14.stream.ponds.jpg 13.boulder.throughs.jpg 12.hike-a-bikes.jpg 11.stream.crossings.jpg 10.cut.logs.jpg 09.jfsh.ladder.jpg 08.burt.ladder.jpg 07.tree.crossing.jpg 06.jfsh.float.jpg 05.burt.jfsh.jpg 04.burt.jfsh.jpg 03.burt.jfsh.jpg 02.hikabike.jpg 01.jfsh.burt.jpg 02.UPSed.jpg TOBIAS.jpg

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Re: RR: TOBIAS TRAIL

Another "Holy Batsh!t, Ratman" RR. How the heck do you do that? I am green with envy, and shall go to hell for my inability to not slide into one of the seven deadly sins. Kudos for another ridiculously great ride, and report.

3. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    As always you do an incredible job with your RRs! I think you missed your calling, you should be a writer! Now one question! When are we doing this again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Absolute extraordinary RR Mikie...well done. Not sure if I could have handled such an adventure but it would have been fun to try.....

5. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Wow - great ride, great ride report. One of the things that makes Mikie Mikie is how gracious the dude is towards the efforts and stoke of others. Props to you for your perpetual props to others, brother! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

6. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Yes jfsh is the man always up for an adventure. He may have single handedly brought Kernville + area into the MTBing scene.

Dean

7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Great report Mikie!

8. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Thanks for the report Mikie! Had a great time up there. Can't wait to go back.

9. burt

burt Well-Known Member

Name:
    burt
    If that's not the life, then I don't know what is.

Stellar report Mikie, I can almost taste the dirt again.

Good ride folks.

PS: thanks for the ride UPSed.

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Thanks Man! We may have got lucky with the summer heat, but I will let you know of a repeat! :D

Hey rox! I got to be honest with you. It just was not that tough! Look at the elevation profile in the report. We didn't do a lot of climbing. When we were done, I honestly felt I could have went and did Just Outstanding since our vehicle was already there. The next day I felt great like I had not ridden the day before... So you would have knocked it out of the park if you dig all the techie stuff! :D

11. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Great report. Wish I'd been there!

12. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    I'm not sure but I think that is the trail Sir Vincent (Grego's son) wants to take me on. We'll ride it someday soon......

I'll let you know so you can meet Greg in person - you guys will hit if off!!

EDIT: It's Tapia not Tobias. I just realized it when I saw MTB(summinsummin) post in Trailhead.