RR: Frazier Mountain

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Well, we "were" going to add Trail 120 but I had to bail out on the full ride. Lately my knees have been achy and dead so we decided to ride up to the Frazier Mountain Look Out then back down the fire road to the upper shuttle vehicle. Nothing epic about it other than cooler temperatures awesome scenery, fantastic company, and the depressing smoke filled skies coming at us from every direction. The Santa Barbara fire to the West, The Gabes from the South East, and now Lake Isabella from the North! How much can a mountain biker take!

So even though this was no epic adventure, which I long for all week long, @Voodoo Tom and I still took some pics and vid (he took the vid) and thought we should share them with the mtb brothah's and sistah's...;)

No big mileage but we did get nearly 8 miles of climbing.
    frazier.mountain.lookout.PNG

Now keep in mind this is a local ride for me. The Greater Frazier Mountain Area has little to offer in regards to Mountain Bike Singletrack, but has hundreds of miles of most excellent fire roads. So... you ride what you got! None the less, I do extremely enjoy riding those local fire roads (not alone of course, that's just plain boring). I get the higher elevation so in summer time I am also blessed with the cooler temperatures. So if anyone wants to come up for a ride with views and trees and great pizza and brews... I'm your man! :thumbsup:

At the corner of Frazier Mountain Park Road and Lockwood Valley Road, we head up the street to make a left towards the Chuchupate Forestry Station (Who makes up these names?).
    DSCF0463.jpg

Past the Chuchupate Ranger Station looking back on the paved road we have been climbing. This turns to dirt at the 3 mile mark once we reach the Chuchupate Campground.
    DSCF0464.jpg

Looking West. You can see the brown haze from the northern Santa Barbara Fire. :(
    DSCF0465.jpg

Across the way are the San Emigdio Mountains almost lower dead center you can see the zig zag climb and then brutal climb veering off to the left. I call that the L.O.W. (Lake of the Woods) Alpe d'huez for all you Tour de France fans. It's a brutal climb. I met @bigringrider101 Berni on that ride (he killed it!).
    DSCF0466.jpg

Looking north west up Cuddy Valley. The mountain on the left in the background is Mount Pinos, home of McGill Trail.
    DSCF0467.jpg

The long grind climb.
    DSCF0468.jpg

Stopping to check out the scenery. Voodoo Tom!
    DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

Almost to the top. Thousands and thousands of pine trees. I think they call that "a forest" :rolleyes:o_O... I know, I'm so bright, my mom calls me son... (shut up Mikie!:x3:)
    DSCF0473.jpg

At the top. Brown haze instead of purple...:(. There are radar towers, cell tower, and an abandoned "Look Out" tower.
    DSCF0474.jpg

Looking North at the Tehachapi's and beyond that to the source of the smoke from the Lake Isabella fire that is currently raging.
    DSCF0477.jpg

Voodoo Tom.
    DSCF0478.jpg

Some whoosy who couldn't hang today. LOSER! :gag::laugh: DSCF0480.jpg

Ye Ole Look Out Tower. Ahhh the days of old.

DSCF0481.jpg

Heading back down...
    DSCF0482.jpg

Another view of L.O.W. Alpe d'huez... I'm gonna post up that ride soon. It ends with a Frazier Park Secret Trail and brews at my house...:):thumbsup:
    DSCF0483.jpg

The drop back to the upper shuttle vehicle went fast.
    "You don't realize how much or how steep you climbed until you point it the other direction and descend", said Tom. Yeah, so true. We bombed it back down and even the twisty curvy pavement drop is fun (even on a mtb!)

We dropped back to Lockwood Valley Road and cruised it back in to the junction point. Loaded up and drove to my truck down at Juniper Ridge. Talked about our burnt rear brakes and both going home to order some new sweet brake parts!

Yeah, I know, it's not the full monty :cautious:, but every weekend warrior ride can be a classic or epic. The fact that we still got out there was enough. The climb, the views, the friendship...

... it's really, what mountain biking is all about!

Mikie
    Life is short... ride lots!

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    001 (2).JPG
    I did this ride a few years ago when you first posted it. I started from the campground. Long climb, have to watch out for 4wds coming way to fast around the blind corners.
    Found the pic from the lookout tower!!

Let me know when you do it again.

3. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Mikie, you need a new HRM. Seriously :)

Nice pictures!

Mikie likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Good ride nonetheless.

I'm gonna hit you up for one of these grinders. :thumbsup::cool:

Mikie likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Hah! I guess I do! I didn't notice it this time. I think the sender just needs a new battery (although the chest strap is about 20 years old!) :eek:

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Well you already know that is going to flat out make my day! Any time. I have quite the "out and back", half loop, shuttle, and loop inventory to fit any day or ride...

Faust29, Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Thumbs up! 42+mph makes me teary-eyed!

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Been using flexoplex for a couple years now. Aches and pain gone!
    Good ride guys!

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  9. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    That fire lookout looks like a fire trap! Is that green building a safe house, or are you just supposed to haul butt off the mountain after calling it in?

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Jeez I think @Mikie already had this RR posted before I even got home(good work bud we've finally got you trained haha). Sure we planned on an epic death defying decent down trail 120 but today was no fail by any means as pedaling at 8K elevation doesn't come easy. Would've been real easy to watch the news and weather reports and just camp on the couch today. My only request for todays ride was that it was someplace cooler than my house and that it was. Views were delightful, temps were tolerable, company was pretty ok and the bike was flippin bad azz as usual. Only problem I have with it is thinking about the fact that I grew up in Frazier Park and spent 40+ years of my life living there and never enjoyed mountain biking there. Sure I terrorized every square inch of the place on motos & hotwired cars, and then in Jeeps when I got fat & lazy but it's a damn shame not to have soaked it all in under my own power. They say to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid and I sure can't argue with that. I only managed 39.9mph on the decent and my rotor is toast so I think a do-over is in order. My pics got nuthin on Mikie's but I'll post a couple anyways till I check my Gopro footage.

Yeah VT climbed all the way to the top of the rickety old lookout tower just cuz he could.

IMG_4419.jpg

Pics of sexy blue bikes just never get old.
    IMG_4426.jpg

Since most of our threads turn to :poop: here's a lovely pic of the commode...
    IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Here is another...
    DSCF0475.JPG

12. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Well-Known Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
  13. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    You don't have to apologize about the mileage!!!

El Immigrante and Mikie like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Are you suggesting I wear nylons because I wear lycra??:sneaky:

Well it was "supposed" to be 21 miles...:(

El Immigrante likes this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yeah, I have been using something called Bio Plex. It's. Been good up until now. I'm just thinking an off day...

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, I know I'm 6 months late and a couple bucks short, but how the heck did I miss this????

I wanna go!!!! Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!! So what if it's 75+ miles away. Maybe more, I haven't yet Google-mapped it.

This right here proves the worth of the picture slot machine up top.

And that L.O.W. Alpe d'Huez looks like a must-do. Is it summer yet????

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.