RR: Cannell Plunge Sunday October 4

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cisco Roots, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 27.5
    For sure this was one ride not to forget! Pain, suffering, COLD (avg temp was 34.5 according to Garmin), however in the end all smiles. There was a big group of us but due to the weather there were no extended breaks. The idea was to get down from the mountain as soon as possible so that we could get the feeling back in our hands and feet!! Some of us managed to snap some pics.....

All smiles.jpg

Cannell Snow Group Shot.jpg

Dirty Bikes!.jpg

The Drop Point.jpg

2. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Lying in bed sunday morning and I hear the rain coming down hard on the roof at 3:30am. I start to secretly hope that the ride gets called off, but then I think about the Hell Ride last year and how it rained for most of the ride. That misery was but a distant memory.
    Well, nobody texted to cancel and it's now 4:30, time to get up. It's still raining lightly outside as I load my bike and my gear. As I look up, Bernie comes rolling up at 5:00 and we load up his stuff in my truck. We wait for my friend Jose to roll up but he never shows, a quick call to his cell and get no answer so we take off.
    At the Castaic sports complex parking we meet up with Cisco, Burt, Scott, Carlos from Universal Cycles and his friend Jason. I expected to see a larger group but it turns out the rest of the crew decided to head up to Kernville the night before. No rain here so there's hope still... right.
    Quick breakfast stop in Bakersfield and we continue onwards, as we start the drive up the canyon next to the Kern river, the skies get darker and the rain starts, great.
    We roll up to Mountain and River Adventures, check in, gear up and load out bikes on the shuttle. We have so many riders that we use two vans, ok great looks like misery is gonna have some great company. It's raining constantly as we head up to the trailhead. We hear a funny sound from the front of the van and realize one of the van's windshield wipers had come off...hmm is that a sign?? Luckily it's the one on the passenger side thats missing. Oh well, onwards and upwards. At about 7,000 feet, the rain goes from hail to snow... SNOW??? Ok I've ridden in snow before, it's actually better that rain, not as wet. As I finish getting padded up and ready, Burt comes up with disposable shower caps he's bought at the store. What a great idea! It fit perfectly over my helmet. Only Cisco and I take Burt up on the shower cap offer and the other guys decide against it. Later in the ride when the rain was coming down hard, I'm sure they regretted that decision.
    At the shuttle drop off we all stand around the trailer and wait for our bikes to get unloaded while the snow falls. One by one we jump on our bikes and ride around waiting for everyone to get ready to roll. Not one person complains, it's more like a bunch of kids ready to hit the trail...

Here is a video that Owen (Universal Cycles) took of the beginning of the ride.

mike, pperrelle, rossage and 17 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Highball SS and Chameleon
    That's too cool! If I get out in those conditions, I'll have to draw on my old childhood standby- Wonder Bread bags inside our shoes!

ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  4. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Dang Luis you hammerheads are fast even in the snow. Great video man, thanks for sharing.

hill^billy, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  5. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    What a bitchen sweet ride!!

Good thing you guys didn't have me there - that is the only time I complain is when I'm cold. :cry:

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    I enjoyed that video. Strong riding with what appears to be unpredictable traction. I imagine I would have fallen a dozen times.

Great job and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  7. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Just a couple more ridiculous pictures from a ridiculous ride. With this heatwave currently, I'm jonesing for the snow.

mike, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Your fingers finally thaw out, uh?

Mikie and Luis like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    What the heck is on the ceiling of that van? It looks like a parachute.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  10. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Yeah, we paraglided the plunge but this being a mountain bike forums, we kept it to ourselves.

11. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    So overall the first part of the ride in the snow was the most fun. I talked to some of the other riders since then and more than one said that once we left the snow and were riding in constant rain, it then became a mission the get off the mountain ASAP. You would think that with the number of riders we had there would be an endless, and ridiculous amount of mechanicals, but we only had one broken chain. Even in those ridiculous conditions and that terrain.
    The rocky section of trail before the cutoff to the cabin was probably the most technical part of the ride. Constant rain and mud made riding over those rocks a real challenge. At that point we decided to skip the cabin because the rain was coming down HARD. The meadow after that was pretty miserable, rain turned to hail and the trail turned into a river. I gave up trying to keep my feet from getting soaked. Thank goodness for merino wool socks.
    Cisco and I pretty much stayed together from then on. After a quick regroup at the gate before the plunge, we started to bomb down the trail. Someone later mentioned to me that the plunge is actually called the Cannell creek trail. Now I know why. On the plus side, the traction on the plunge was incredible until we reached the lower section, and the soil went from decomposed granite to a clay like mud. It then became a challenge to keep the bike from sliding into the rain filled rut in the center of the trail.
    At the next gate the rain had stopped and the temperature was around the mid-sixties, a noticeable difference from the low 30's at the top. Finally after slipping and sliding we reached the last gate at the road.
    One of the riders said it was "honestly the most miserable and fun time ever". It truly was...

mike, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Glad that actually went well for the hole group, must have been a group of all talented riders to get through without more drama than the weather was doling out. I guess you left out the lighting strikes you told me about yesterday? That would have been a big pucker factor for me.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  13. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    You're right Doug. I failed to mention the thunder and lightning. Burt told me he saw his life flash before his eyes but I think it was just the lighting. Somehow we managed to ride the outskirts of the thunder storm. At first the thunder was to our left as we summited the first climb. Then it was behind us slightly and I think that's when we saw and heard the closest lighting strike. Eventually the storm moved more to our right. The sun did make its appearance ever so briefly here and there but it was just teasing us.
    I guess Burt wearing his V brake pads down to metal would count as a mechanical. So that makes it two.