RR: Aliso - Assault and Battery...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I think that herzalot sums it up better than I could ever come up with...

"Fantastic turnout for our Assault on Aliso. Today featured a flowing day-glo orange bandana, a tall redhead, two guys named Craig, a pair of Yetis, The One and an animal. It also included balls, falls, trespassing warnings, bro-hugs, sh#ttalking, hike-a-bike, a flat tire, great scenery, a long line of Asians and a few beers. Not necessarily in that order..." ~ herzalot

as·sault and bat·ter·y
    noun Law
    noun: assault and battery "the crime of threatening a person together with the act of making physical contact with them."

The only difference between "threatening a person with the act of making physical contact was myself threatening myself and following through with physical contact with the ground...! :eek:
    Yes, Mikie got schooled by Car Wreck! News at 11:00...

How do I start and how in the world do I follow herzalot's teaser trailer other than to just start at the beginning...

A couple of weeks ago I invited everyone up for an imtbtrails summit to ride the Golden Eagle. herzalot had mentioned he may show. I got excited about that :D (uh, in the proper way) Well it turned out that he could not make it, yet the summit went great....

So I thought, "Hey, I know, I'm gonna show these OC guys how it's done and drop a ride on them in their own town." <--I did, I thought that... So I threw it out there, and to make a long story even longer it got postponed for good reasons.

Well... Today it happened...
    aliso.assault.battery.jpg
    Getting up at 4:30am to be on the road at 5:00am I misunderstood that Google will calculate based on traffic condition drive time.
    Note to self: Never check drive time at 5:00pm on a Friday, so needless to say I got to the 8:30am meet point at 7:15am... ;)
    IMG-20150418-03195.jpg
    IMG-20150418-03196.jpg

I taped my ankle, I check the tire pressure in my tires, I looked at everyone driving by with a bike like I was meeting them...blah blah blah...

First rolled up Craig (mtbbiker), and then Dave (knucklebuster). So it was time to gear up and get going. I was parked lower so I rode the bike up with mtbbiker to find Chris (herzalot), Dan (danimal), Dave (knucklebuster), Craig (cougar), Nate (N8), and some guys I just didn't expect, none other than Tom (Tom the Bomb) and Pat (redwoods)!!! Holy Fashizzle Batman! It's a full house of who's who!!!! We got all the greets out of the way, geared up and headed up the road and when I say 'road" I literally mean paved neighborhood roads. Came around a corner to find a closed community gate . . . wtf? Then the gate mysteriously opened, double wtf??

Now... we were warned to be on our best behavior as we poached through this gated community, and we were ... sort of. But when we started to hike up this little hill, some lady walking her rat dog said to us, "You know you are not suppose to be in here..." :?

We mumbled and we hymned and hawed, Tom the Bomb said something like, "Uh oh, are we going to get arrested?", intended for herzalot but the lady said, "No, I'm on the Homeowners Association Board and you are being very rude!" :shock: yikes!

So, the ambassador of Mountain Biking had to step up and I stayed back and said, "I'm not from anywhere around here and I sincerely apologize for all of this, and our intrusion. I just didn't know. I appreciate your kindness and I will make sure that we will not allow this to happen again." then I just cocked my head to one side and gave her my sincerest smile and paused...

This is known as the "silent close", first one to speak loses!

Well, the radiated Mikie force field of charm worked and she smiled back and said, "Thank you very much, I really appreciate that". So I turned and hucked my bike up on my shoulder and followed the others as they trudged through the hillside ground cover up to the trail... :lol:

Oh, sorry, there is a ride report in here...

We started out with the 5 Oaks descent. It was a great warm up. I was rather jacked to be there so I may have went into this first drop a little hot to prove my worthiness amongst my peers and mid point promptly took a tumbler over the bars in some VERY soft powdery dirt. Okay! No worries, got the crash out of the way . . .right?
    IMG-20150418-03197.jpg
    IMG-20150418-03198.jpg

We then proceeded to go to Cholla for the 1st climb, I did okay in holding my own with the boyz on the climb. We got to the top of that, and then turned around and dropped down Rock It . . . fun stuff! Dropping down Coyote to Coyote Hump a nice little surprise around the corner. But then we had to belly up to Mathis, it was a little warmer, it's a lot steeper, yet I still felt pretty good. The scenery along the way here was pretty good! Oh, and looking out over the terrain was looking good as well! ...if, yah know what I mean... ;)

IMG-20150418-03199.jpg
    IMG-20150418-03200.jpg IMG-20150418-03201.jpg IMG-20150418-03202.jpg IMG-20150418-03203.jpg IMG-20150418-03204.jpg IMG-20150418-03205.jpg

After climbing Mathis we then dropped down Car Wreck. I have done trails like this, and I like them a lot. It's a lot like Suicide only steeper, rougher, super chunky, and with a couple bigger drops. I was really feeling comfortable until I got to a mid drop...

...I was coming up on an unsuspected 3 maybe 4 foot drop on this very steep "rock?", or "clay?" I don't know what it was, when my front wheel dropped into a pothole the size of a 26'er wheel as deep as the hub. I was going nowhere. I came to a complete stop, the front tire blew all the air out of it instantly and I went straight over the bars. Hit the back of my helmet, both my shoulders and right hip, and my right wrist as I did the flailing somersault across this rock outcrop, and ended up on the left side of my bike with my right foot shoved into my Yeti's front triangle trying to push the water bottle out of it's cage :eek: . My foot was stuck! I needed help to get out. I was kinda dazed at that point but I think it was Dave that helped get my bike off my foot. I'm sure he has a great description of what happen as he was right behind me! :oops:

So we naturally stopped, I pulled the wheel, threw in a tube, hand pumped that bad boy up to 29lbs and off we went. Herzalot hiked back up to the crash site to make sure everything was good. Things were tweaked. Snapped a zip tie holding my Garmin on the Stem, sheared off a cable router for the Dropper, no biggie (double face taped), and the steering stem shifted to where the wheel was steering to the left when the bars were straight. Other than that, I hurt my wrist but not enough to call it quits! Got it back together and we took off...

IMG-20150418-03206.jpg IMG-20150418-03207.jpg IMG-20150418-03208.jpg IMG-20150418-03210.jpg IMG-20150418-03211.jpg IMG-20150418-03212.jpg

We climbed BACK up Mathis to the "Top of the World", took a couple of pics, and then headed over to "Meadows". Dropped down meadows and the cruised back to the cars on Coyote...

IMG-20150418-03213.jpg IMG-20150418-03214.jpg

IMG-20150418-03215.jpg IMG-20150418-03216.jpg IMG-20150418-03217.jpg IMG-20150418-03219.jpg

At one point, I believe there was 2 to 3 million Asian hikers coming down Nature Loop. I thought it important to meet every single one of them as they reached to the bottom. You know, for diplomatic reasons...

IMG-20150418-03220.jpg IMG-20150418-03221.jpg IMG-20150418-03222.jpg IMG-20150418-03225.jpg
    IMG-20150418-03227.jpg IMG-20150418-03228.jpg

What a great day! I found an innocent bystander to come over and take a group picture of the days roster of fellers. With the Pacific in the background, it was a kodak moment (crap! am I dating myself there!)

We had just a little more trail to go and so we putted through another neighborhood to get to "Meadows" this trail is a lot more flowy with some sweet berms. None the less we did have to wait for some folks to get further down the trail so we could bomb it. At the bottom we cruised back over to coyote and did it in revers to hit the fire road back to the cars...

IMG-20150418-03229.jpg

Most of us cruised over to Wahoos, where I was "treated like royalty" by none other than herzalot to a great meal of fish taco's and probably the BEST tasting Pacifico on tap, I have had in a long time!!!!

IMG-20150418-03230.jpg IMG-20150418-03231.jpg
    IMG-20150418-03235.jpg
    Said our goodbyes, and I thanked herzalot numerous times for being such an awesome ride leader and gracious host... and then we split up and headed home...

PATKOUG, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Re: RR: Aliso Assault and Battery...

Very cool...

I was at one of the local high schools, not far away. I kept an ear open for sirens and helicopters... ;)

PATKOUG and Mikie like this.
  3. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7

Nice Mikie! Thatpocket pic should probably have a "not yet rated" rating! What the heck was that?!?!? :D

4. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3, Ibis Tranny

Nice report! Looks like a good time was had by all!

5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Terrific ride report as usual except I don't see any bloody arms or shins. What's up with that, no bushwacking just soft dirt soil samples?? Seriously people if your not joining in on these imtbtrails rides you're really missing out, they are a blast.

Edit: Mikie after seeing a pics of the crash site and reading of the epicness of the dismount I'm seriously glad you're ok bud...

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower

yeah, I kinda thought that too! Since I know it was pointed away from me..................... ;)

PATKOUG likes this.
  7. MnMDan

MnMDan Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS

Sounds like a typical weekend day in Aliso...lots of dirt skiers with little regard for trail etiquette mixed in with lots of scenery. Next time you need to hit some of the "ahem" trails that are in some of the photos overlooking the ocean. No dirt skiers there.

Glad you had fun and that it was worth the drive. Next time, make it a 1/2 day epic and take in some of the neighboring coastal singletrack.

8. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude

Great report, you covered it quite well and your photos are good as usual! Thanks for coming down for the tour by Hrz, great to meet everyone.
    Didn't realize your OTB was that crazy. :eek: Glad your OK with no real injuries.

Oh, and Pic 7 and 10 you have Knuckebuster and danimals names reversed. :D

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower

Thanks Man! Uh...no I don't! (not when you have edit) :oops: Somehow I knew I was going to do that. Fixed now brothah! Don't mind the concussion... :lol: You guys were awesome today... Thanks!

PATKOUG likes this.
  10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12

A great time was had by all, thanks for coming down Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Pat and Craigmtbr! And good to ride again with the local guys and meet Cougar Craig too.

Only have one worthy pic to add. I was about 10 feet behind Mikie on Car Wreck, when his front wheel got swallowed and he went head over heals it looked like the worst crash I had ever seen, and on rocks not dirt. He popped up, and said 'my foot's stuck'. How the heck his foot ever got in the frame that way... it took us a bit to get it back out. Not to dwell on your crash Mikie, but that was scary, glad you're OK! Don't do that no mo please :shock:

IMAG0855.jpg

PATKOUG, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO

Strange, I spent quite a bit of time typing a post to add to the details, but it disappeared.

Here are a few other recollections:

The Big Balls Award goes to Mikie for not only surviving that nasty tumble, but for fixing up his bike, getting on and riding the most challenging section of the trail like a boss. I would have hiked down after a crash like that. He must have been concussed. Dave tried to win the balls award by pulling out a whiffle ball and throwing it at Mikie's car at the end of the ride.

Here is a shot of the crash site. You can't see the drop, which is just above Cougar in the blue shirt.

On Meadows, Cougar made the mistake of leading Dave (and some other guy). Dave is very fast on Meadows and Cougar had the ride of his life trying to stay ahead of Dave and not hold him (and that other guy) back.

Rock-It was as congested as I've ever seen it, and we were forced to stop in a few places while we watched several different groups of timid pilgrims make their way down the trail. Still a fun trail.

I've never climbed Mathis twice, so I wasn't sure if I could do it. I am never fast up Mathis, but I never stop. To my delight, I made it both times! I'm gonna stick with Dave's Garmin that said 3200'

Great day, great weather, great trails, great riding and awesome camaraderie. Thanks everyone! :thumbup: :wave:

Car Wreck Wreck2.jpg

12. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66

REALLY glad you are ok Mikie! Nice report as always! Side note: I've been sitting here all day sick with nothing better to do, so I thought I would go to STR and be entetained by a few ride reports and low and behold there were none? Oh well.

13. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7

You need a good dose of WW tomorrow!!

14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    YYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss it was!
    Well Mikie was pressing me down car wreck so I let him pass knowing what we were about to hit. Probably should have warned him. That crash looked nasty, elbows, to hips to feet over followed by bike tires and wheels whipping sideways! That could have been much worse. Good recovery Mikie.
    I was actually out of this ride till late last night. I finished the work I had to do and figured if I wake up at the right time I would surprise the group. Of course I woke up in plenty of time. Called Redwoods, Pat because I new he was Jonesen to pedal and off we went.As for the surprise guess my attire gave it away as Herz spotted me when I got out of the car. Great riding buddies , what a blast, no blood for me today. :D
    Thanks to Herz and co.

15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Great ride report! Way to recover Mikie! Looking good Bomb! Keep it up fellas!

16. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    Nice ride report, that Blackberry takes decent pictures. Unfortunately for Mikie, but I think he was the only one that crashed yesterday. Tough guy, cause crashing on Car Wreck, especially where he did could have had been really bad.

This ride was a blast, all the riders had great skills & good endurance, had to because someone made us climb Cholla once & Mathias twice. I don't think I've ever done that before. A big thanks for our fearless leader & gracious host Herz! He put the hammer down Rocket & Car Wreck! Thanks again to all who showed up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It was great to meet everyone yesterday in person that I've read so much about here on the forums (and it was good to meet new people too!).

I've got a few pictures on the day:

A look of 5 Oaks, our first drop in.

Herz and I taking a picture of each other, while Mikie is in the back taking a picture of us all.

Here's another shot of Mikie greeting the conga line of hikers.

And another shot of the trail maintenance.

Herzalot is correct about getting the ride of my life down Meadows. Everyone was hemming and hawing about who was going to lead down Meadows, so I just said f'it and went first. The entire ride down I heard various bike sounds of someone (Dave) pushing me down the trail... as such I rode faster. Pro tip for the "how do you ride faster thread" put someone behind you that is faster :)

Depending on the segment you look at, I set a new PR down Meadows by at least 20s, if not 30s. Setting a new PR by that much is significant :)

I look forward to getting the wife permission to make the next one of these!

18. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Glad you're okay Mikie! Nice to "see" some members and put faces to their usernames.

19. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    All riders were strong, but after conferring with the group, I, as drafted host and anointed group leader, have selected Craig 1 (mtbbiker) as the best all-around rider on the day. He gave us all a run for our money on the downs (and perhaps could have gone faster - not sure if I was holding him up on R-I or CW). He was right behind me on 5-O, but as a responsible host, I pulled over to make sure all were making it down safely. Craig was about a second or two behind me at most. I believe he was among the fastest climbers as well, given that I never saw him, yet he was always at the top. He also stayed upright and did not draw blood.

Mikie - Big Balls Award
    Cougar - "How to go Faster" award (and kudos for his courage with only a year of riding under his belt)
    Danimal - "I Matched Nate's Jersey Award" and the "Most Patient Man in the Group."
    Herz - "Smarta$$ Award," of course
    Knucklebuster - "the OMG - he's Dead" award for witnessing then assisting Mikie and the "Foot Out, Flat Out" Award for smoking Meadows.
    Tom T Bomb - "Camouflage Award" Where is he? Solid riding from the mythological creature.
    Redwoods (Pat) - "Stoke Award" He was happy and enthusiastic, even during two pulls up Mathis
    N8Ag (Nate) - The "Cadence" award and the "Shyness Award" for his "I may be a member, but I will never post" approach to IMTB. He had a great run on CW, especially considering it was only his second time tackling said trail. He also gets the "Great Laugh" award for his no-holds barred laugh.

So there you go mates, mtbbiker - rider of the day. Now PUT UP A DAMN AVATAR!!!!

Editors note: Nine riders and not a Specialized in the bunch. Oddly, no Santa Cruz, Ibis or Pivot either. Giant, Niner, Yeti, Yeti, Knolly, Turner, Canfield, Rocky Mt., and Kona.

20. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Do I have to wait until I pick up my Ripley to join an OC ride? [emoji14]

21. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I know many like getting up and getting in their ride and I used to do that often at the local parks. Then local parks got crazy busy with hiking clubs and bikers all getting up early to ride. After about 10am the local park around Laguna start getting less and less people and by about 2 pm they are nearly empty. I am a big fan of golden hour rides and sun sets in Laguna can be excellent. Glad you boys had a good ride.

Dean

PATKOUG, littlewave and Mikie like this.
  22. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    :thumbup: Wow, someone who sees it my way. There has to be alot of candy for it to make it tolerable for throwing off my flow, that is if I have any that day. I would have never posted if I didn't see that ridiculous line of people! Even so, you guys had alot more fun than I did yesterday! :thumbup:

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    :roll:

Yes. I dug deep into the imtbtrails bylaws and Ripley's are definitely allowed... ;)

PATKOUG likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is very true. You can have the place to yourself on weekend evenings, pretty much after 4. And I used to do that, sometimes surfing in the morning and riding in the evening. However, I am now blessed with a daughter, and double blessed that she sleeps 'til 11am and has since she first slept through the night. That allows me mornings only for guilt-free riding! So, I deal with the crowds. I do like running the less-frequented trails, but in my job, I have to stay off the local police blotter.

BTW, Rock-It had even more people on it today than yesterday. Lots of youngsters out there today, which was great to see. I just needed to adjust my timing a little to get a clean run in.

25. surftime

surftime New Member

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    nice report and fun commentary!

26. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Hey Cougar, you were killin' it down meadows, it was a hoot with some fast guys (Herz and Craigmtbr right on my tail I think) picking different lines, swoopin', driftin' and hootin'! Glad we got to it at a fairly low traffic time. :thumbup:

27. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It was tons of fun - don't get my comment wrong! I got pushed JUST ENOUGH that I was still in control and having a blast. A few turns could have been cleaner, sure, but it was fun :)

28. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And I believe it was Cougar who said " Somewhere, a kitten dies every time someone passes Meadows to go ride Mentally Sensitive..." Or maybe it was a little bird, but either way, we get the picture! As is well documented, I will take flowy fun over rutty sliding any day! Way to not kill a kitten, but to "kill it" nonetheless! :clap: :thumbup:

29. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Watch this to see how we were supposed to ride the hike-a-bike connector trail to Meadows.

The rest of that is Telonics.

PATKOUG, littlewave and Mikie like this.
  30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    I was out there yesterday morning for a quick before-work ride before you guys all started. was even crowded at 730!
    ...redwoods isnt really smoking in the park in that one pic is he? Looks like hes drinking camelback and its a trick of the light