Redlands Strada Rossa - March 19, 2016

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Cyclotourist, Nov 7, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-19-16
  1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A good amount of fun to be had by all! Hope to see some of you there! I'll be pestering all with more details as they come up :)
    http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/2015/11/were-putting-stake-in-it-march-19-2016.html

Here's the best write up of last year's event:
    http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/post/strada-rossa-around-redlands-calif-march-21-2015-7345407?pid=1286625981#post1286625981

And some pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalpusher61/albums/72157651110302400

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157651165005667

And a great video that's also in the link above, but deserves it's own:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlq_CD5FbU&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=JamesWei

The intention is to have a solid ride that's just tough enough, but not too tough for most people. Around 100km (62 miles), and doable on a MTB or a road bike, but best enjoyed on a cross bike. Last year we really put a great course together that avoided traffic, and was able to be altered by riders to shorten up on skip portions easily. Moderate levels of support/aide stations. And inexpensive.

We want to get people on bikes (!) and promote the riding in and around Redlands. Open to any suggestions you may have!

2. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I'm in. And I'll see if my daughters want to power the blender-bike again, haha

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes! I thought I grabbed a pic of them, but this is the best I could get. They're under that tree somewhere!
    I tell you, that captured the day. It's just a fun ride. Nothing taken too serious, just ride and enjoy!
    16884990662_8e76d93111_c.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Blender girls! You know you're part of a great event when it has something like this!!!!

FILE0019-X2.jpg

herzalot, Mikie, OTHRider and 2 others like this.
  5. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I was in no particular hurry at this stop and enjoyed two wonderful smoothies. Can't wait for my 2nd tour.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The thing I really like about RSR, and will brag about here, is that it's a fun ride. You can push it as fast as you want with your team mates and skip the entire smoothie experience. Or you can stop and have one, oh heck, why not two smoothies. And then stop at Hangar 24 on the tail end. Why not?!?!?
    We really try to nail that inclusive and fun vibe, and I think successfully so far.
    Some big happenings being talked about for next year... stay tuned!

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm going to be torn... The Hell Fire Fat Tire race on Camp Pendleton is the same day. I really enjoyed the century on the base last month, but the RSR looks like a fun time, also! :poop:

8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Decisions, decisions...
    I can only add, that this ride is just that. It's not an event, so you or anyone else can come ride it anytime. For something big like HFFT or another race, well, those are special, aren't they!

Mikie likes this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hey @Faust29 Just re-reading this, and thought you were referring to a conflict with Saturday's ride. I was posting fast and furiously last week, and got it mixed up. A conflict with the RSR is a big deal! It is definitely a lot more organized than Saturday's get together. Still informal compared to some rides, but an "event" for sure. 100 metric and 100 miles compared to yesterday's high 30's... well, you can imagine what it's going to entail!
    Hope you choose Redlands!!!

Mikie likes this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You win! I'd love to do a mountain bike event on the base, but I'll be there for the RSR, barring any unforeseen craziness. :thumbsup:

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    We'll have smoothies!!!
    That and a 100 mile century route this year... that'll keep you and Bernie busy!!!

12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    100 miles.....over 10K feet....I think I almost have to.

But I won't commit yet. I don't want it to get cancelled. :sneaky:

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The pure genius (!) aspect of the route is that you can bail any time. Want to do the century, sign up for it! But if you're not feeling it just turn left instead of right and stick on the metric route.
    Not really skinnier, but I hear REALLY good things about the Schwalbe Super Moto. I myself am a fan of the Thunder Burt for just about everything. They wear kinda fast, but a low-rolling resistance ride with just enough side-knobs to help out through the dirt.

Cancellation ain't gonna' happen... but I can with certainty guarantee that @CarlS will get sick that week in March :Roflmao:sick::Roflmao

Mikie, CarlS, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    For those of you that participated last year, I hope you've checked your email! Pre-reg is open and ready to go for all three routes. English century, metric century (~62 miles), and metric half century (~30 miles).

For newbies, you can register on the IEBA site here: http://www.iebikingalliance.org/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=961736&item_id=483217 While not required, it is hoped that you will join the IEBA which will lead to the discounted registration. It also bumps up our numbers, which is a HUGE bonus for any sort of an advocacy group. Fees have gone up a small bit, but while we make a little money on this, the idea is to have a great time, get people on bikes, show them the riding in Redlands and the IE, and yes, grow the IEBA rolls.

I'm hugely self-promoting this, but I really think it's one of the best times you can have on two wheels. Don't worry about not having the "right" bike... just run what you brung and have a good time. The 100 mile route is going to be challenging. The 50km route will be pretty easy. The 100km route is my favorite and will have the best we have to offer!

We need volunteers, particularly for the English century portion. If you know of friends, family, businesses, or organizations that would like to staff an aid station, please put them in contact with me. cyclo... @gmail.com

And as you know, social media is what pushes things. Please feel free to forward via the various books, grams, and chirps! Updates will be posted regularly on the RSR blog.

23266298704_4fbf3af903_b.jpg

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Rains have tamped down the trails nicely. Grass is starting to come in green. Weather in the 60's... gonna be a good time coming up in March!
    (Goatheads can still be found if you try hard)
    23842210814_11d897a50a_b.jpg

Mikie, ridinrox, BeckTrex and 3 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well.... You talked me into it. I'm registered. :thumbsup:

Now, I have to decide... el Mariachi set up skinny, or maybe some wider tires for the old steel Schwinn, which has a pretty wide gear range... That was my trail bike when I was a lot younger.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    @Faust29 Excellent! Dirt is fantastic out here! Just rode a bunch of it this morning! Which distance you going for????

You rode a bunch of it when you came out last month. Crafton + the Sunset Dr. segment will be for sure on it. So what you think would be best for those. Just double the distance and take out the sand wash sections. There's no wrong choice, but maybe a skinny El Mar. As long as you don't mind straight bars for six hours. That's the only downside for me on straight bars vs. drops.

See you in March if not sooner!!!

Mikie, Faust29 and bigringrider101 like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Views from today's ride, which will be on the course:

24220551009_f64085c502_b.jpg

24220551169_e060214334_b.jpg

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I'm thinking skinny el mar for the 100... And I may need to put the derailleur back on for this one.

Time to research skinny tires!

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You will know after 12hr. :eek:

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Not terribly skinny, but hard to beat Thunder Burts for fast rolling on asphalt with a bit of tread on the dirt.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Those are still on the wide side, though? I see they are still 2.1s. What about going with a plain cross type tire... something in the 700x38-40 range?

Mikie likes this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, they're wide. But I still like 'em!

If you want to get to the 40mm range, may I humbly suggest the Clement MSO X'LOR. They're what I use on my CX bikes for exploratin'.

But interestingly, the TBs actually weight a touch less than the MSO (435g vs 500g). So rotational mass is going to be a touch better for the Burts, and they will have suppler sidewalls. I would hazard a guess that the two would have the close to the same rolling resistance on asphalt (especially if TBs over-inflated a bit), but the wider TBs are going to give you a lot more benefit on the dirt.

And for the record, I own stock in neither company :)

I would also say, don't forget tubeless!!! A lot less goatheads out now after the storms, but if you have the choice to go tubeless, take it!

11877765655_4db760448e_z.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Just hit 100 registrants! We were at 41 at the end of the January last year!

Here's a teaser for the 100 mile route... @Faust29 you ready for this???

Mikie likes this.
  27. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I'm in for the Metric 100. Looking forward to another stop at Hanger 24 too!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hmmmm, my elevation profile pic didn't post... it worked on the preview. I'll try to re-do tonight.

@OTHRider Hangar is on the route, Ritual at the finish line... no excuses!

Mikie, Faust29 and riiz like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Elevation is what I really need to see! I'm a little nervous over here...

30. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I didn't know the route goes by Hangar 24. That puts me one step closer from entering.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Faust29 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?