RaceFace Stash Bibs

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Makoto, Sep 1, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    http://www.raceface.com/products/details/stash-mens-bib
    image.png
    Anyone who knows me or has ridden with me frequently, knows that I hate carrying a pack unless I am out on an all day Epic (and need to carry more supplies, tools, parts, etc., to be more self sufficient). Therefore, when this product was released last year, I was very interested - even though it was aimed at the “Enduro” racers, which I am not.

That being said, I finally got around to buying a pair as my current chamois and bibs are getting towards the end of their lifespans. The fit appears to be similar to other brands of bibs I own (Castelli, Pearl Izumi, Craft and Mavic). I have a long torso, so in general I have difficulties finding good fitting bibs and these were tight out of the package, but after just one use and wash they seem to have stretched to fit my body pretty well.

The location of the pockets are great. There are two thigh pockets that can hold chews/gels/bars. On the back there is a compartment (that I have yet to use) that holds a bladder and has guidance loops for the hose. Across the back there are three pockets that can hold a tube, phone, water bottle, sustenance, etc., Shame on me, but I rarely carried my phone prior to buying these as I never wanted it in a leg pocket as they tend to be impact zones when I crash. Now I can keep my phone on my back where I feel it is less likely to get banged up, yet it is still easily accessible to snap a photo or check messages.

In my limited use I cannot quantify how much hotter they are than my other bibs. There is quite a bit more fabric on them than standard bibs, so in turn they must be hotter. What I will say is they are still cooler and less cumbersome than carrying a pack and where there are more materials they have used a meshy material to hopefully breathe a bit better.

The quality of the chamois is not the best I have used, but I think this may be a personal preference. I also have not used them for an all day ride, but I will not hesitate to try them out on an all day ride. I just hope they are comfortable and hold up ok. FYI, my Craft bibs have my favorite chamois. Not thick like a diaper, yet shaped properly for my sit bones and butt.

In the end, I am very pleased with my purchase. These bibs allow me to carry more items (be more prepared and as an Eagle scout...this suits me well...hahahaha) and still not have to carry a pack. Mission accomplished. FYI, Specialized makes a similar product, but I choose not to buy Specialized goods if I can avoid it.

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I'm a pack whore because it's all I know. Been curious about this very bib so thanks for the write up. Since I ride from home to Oaks most of the time I really should be able to ditch the pack and this may ease me into it!

Mikie, Makoto and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Tempting, for sure. For the first 10 years of my mt. biking life in Colorado, I wore stupid stuff - lycra shorts (often with cotton gym shorts over the top of them), t-shirts or tank tops were de riguer. I never wore a pack. I had a seat bag for spare tube and a few tools, and mounted a small pump alongside my water bottle. 2 water bottle cages took care of the hydration duties. That's how everybody's bike looked (along with bar ends). I tied a lightweight jacket and/or long sleeve shirt around my waist. In short - I was a total dork - but at least I was wearing cleats and using SPDs. Here's how I dressed for the Hermosa trail in Durango, CO.

Alpinestars.jpg

Then - I moved to CA and rode in the dust. My water bottles would get coated with dust - now turned paste. So THAT's why people wear Camelbacks. Saddlebag off, backpack on. Let the sweat and discomfort begin. But that's what mt bikers look like, so it's ok. The final nail in the coffin was my first full suspension bike. Speeds downhill increased dramatically for me, and a rattly tool bag and clothing tied around my waist was not gonna cut it. Dropper posts? Buh bye seat bags.

I've owned 5 hydration packs hoping to find the one that's super comfortable, easiest to use and looks acceptable. - I still have 3 in service. My sweaty back yearns to ride packless, but my riding style, preferred level of preparedness and stupid SoCal image-consciousness won't allow it. I haven't gotten used to the fanny pack or seatbag look, and still don't like water bottles on the bike - the dust hasn't gone away.

You guys riding packless are tempting the hell out of me.

littlewave, Cornholio, Makoto and 3 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I would love to dump the Camelbak but don't see how it's possible for most of the rides I like. Water, is the big challenge for me, lots of it. I know that @mtnbikej and @Faust29 often have locations they can fill their bottles at. @UPSed as well... One time I was riding with Ed somewhere in Simi and we pulled up to a fountain on the trail... wtf? A fountain?

On a 4 or 5 hour ride I'm a 100oz. guy, plus 24oz. water bottle. I don't see any way around not carrying a Camelbak for me.:oops:

But I sure like the looks of those bibs. Never worn bibs but certainly would love to try them! I can't stand baggies either so I could care less about looks... Sorry @herzalot !

herzalot, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If there's water on the route it's bottles for me. Otherwise I need to wear a pack. If it's a large group ride I'll wear the pack as well as I tend to sip water during the rest stops.

@herzalot I carry the bottle I'm drinking out of in my jersey pocket so it stays clean. :thumbsup:

herzalot, Makoto, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't like wearing a pack... And have only done it 3 times this year that I remember. Palm Canyon, Cannell, and the time I did the Holy Jim- San Juan loop on the full suspension. At Cannell, I didn't touch the pack, and just drank from the bottle that I refilled at the cabin. 85 ounces of south Orange County water got a tour of the Cannell Trail on my back. My big bottles are 24 ounces, and I carry 2, which puts it in small camelback range, anyway. A third smaller bottle in a jersey pocket is usually enough. With that said, though, there are times I screw up in planning. Last weekend on the Millennium Loop was one! I went through 2 bottles, and could have easily gone through 2 more when the temps spiked. I should have had the pack that day... Some of the guys that rode with us went through 3 liters.

I've never worn bibs, but these are tempting for the options they provide...

@herzalot - Is that a squished volleyball on your head? And Salsa is releasing a bike with an elevated chain stay this year if you're interested... :Roflmao

herzalot, Makoto, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    For those of you who have not tried bibs......do it.

The comfort of not having a waistband is amazing. Also, no more shorts falling down.

Only 2 downsides....they are a bit more expensive than shorts....and #2 emergency bathroom breaks take a bit longer since you have to remove your jersey.

Makoto, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ^Agree with @mtnbikej on the bib comfort. When I switched to a bib system with a shell that snaps in place (Dirtbaggies) I noticed a big difference in comfort. They actually have a couple pockets on the bib for a phone etc so between that and jersey pockets I should be good to go with trying my pack-less rides. Only time I've ridden without a pack is Over the Hump and when I started riding in the 90's.

Serious question, do I just carry a tube in my jersey with my co2 etc too? Doesn't that bounce around a ton on rough DH?

Makoto, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Performance sells them for $110.00, which isn't too bad.

Makoto and Mikie like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I used to carry a tube in my jersey....but just got tired of it, so now it resides in a seat bag. My pump and mini tool still go in the jersey along with my phone.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Now that I can finally see the pics....they look like some just sewed on some jersey pockets to the back of a pair of bibs.

Like the concept, however I wear jerseys that already have pockets in them. I am not a fan of loose FR/DH style jerseys, so these aren't for me. Plus I usually carry an extra waterbottle in my center pocket, and that just looks like a PIA to have to pull up my jersey to go fishing for my bottle. It's hard enough when I am wearing my jacket or vest and have to grab my bottle.

Makoto, Danmtchl, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Most my jerseys have pockets in the back but doesn't a water bottle drive you nuts back there since it isn't snug against you? As for the tube I guess I could strap it to my bike somewhere since seat bags and droppers aren't the best of friends.

Sorry if I am derailing the thread but I guess I am talking about jersey pockets versus the bib pockets in the OP so kinda on topic. Guess I should just go try it out for myself in the end, just always thought heavy items in a jersey would be like a tether ball hanging off my back.

Danmtchl likes this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I do it so often....that I am used to it. Doesn't really bother me. Plus I still find it better than dragging my Camelbak around.

Makoto, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  15. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I've gone to bottles 90% of the time. Started buying jerseys with pockets for the phone and nutrition. Car keys in the zippered shorts pocket. Multi tool, tube and Co2 in a small seat bag made by Jandd in San Diego. My seat bag doesn't rub the tire even with the dropper all the way down. I also picked up a couple of these Nalgene bottles. Solves the dust problem.

NAL-22.jpg

jaime, herzalot, Makoto and 1 other person like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    herzalot, RS VR6, Makoto and 3 others like this.
  17. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    IMG_2664[1].JPG
    So I use a saddle bag (a small Lenzyne one) that holds a tube, CO2, my ID and insurance card and an allen key for my fork. And yes, when my saddle is slammed and things get rowdy, I am sure my saddle bag (and a$$ for that matter) hit the rear wheel from time to time. Then I use my bib/pockets to carry sustenance, phone, keys & an extra bottle if need be. In regards to things bouncing around on your back, you can tuck the pocket panel into your shorts to keep it from bouncing around...and believe it or not, untethered I have not noticed the pocket panel bouncing around while riding and this was a concern of mine too.

BTW, knowing where water sources are on my local rides is a must to ride without a pack for the duration of rides I enjoy most. Especially, since I prefer not to have a bottle in the bib pockets unless I absolutely have to.

Also, the bibs I referenced have a pocket to carry a bladder. I just have not used it yet. I am not sure I want a sack of water hanging from my bib straps. I think I would prefer to use a pack rather than strap a bladder in my bibs...but I'll likely try it and I'll report back.

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    This will be my pack less setup for local rides. TT bag and seat bag. The TT bag holds food, keys and my phone. While the seat bag holds tools. Need to check out this bag in their site.

Would use the bibs to hold the bladder.

19. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Just a heads up @Mikie I do not think these bibs are meant to be worn without baggies over them as they are see through on the sides with a material for maximum ventilation. Not sure if this is more important for you @Mikie or for us.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ha hah! I'm cool if you guys are! :eek::rolleyes::thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  21. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    For short rides I'll go packless and use one of my older roadie jerseys. One large bottle in the frame and the rest of the stuff in my jersey pockets. It does feel quite nice to not have the extra weight of a pack on my back.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  22. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I just picked up these bib shorts. When I ride solo, I almost always wear bib shorts. I will wear these over my hip protection. The fit was a bit snug. I usually wear L (Garneau), but I had to size up to XL. Will report back on this thread any feedback.

The big question for @herzalot is when is he going to take that useless parachute (otherwise known as a visor) off of his helmet???? :)

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Love keeping the sun off my face AND the badass moto look of a visor. I ain't no leg shavin' skinny-ass roadie boy!

Faust29, Danmtchl, Andy and 2 others like this.
  24. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Anyone have a comparison between Raceface Stash and Specialized's Swat bib. Cause the non pro SWAT version is cheaper than RF, and much easier to obtain for me personally.

Danmtchl likes this.
  25. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    No comparison for you @riiz , but they are of the same concept. I just make a point not to buy Specialized product, so when I was given the chance to buy the Stash bibs instead of the SWAT bibs, it was an easy choice. I am sure they are great. I am fairly certain their Enduro guys are wearing them...so they are real world tested and proven. Give them a try and give us your report please!

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  26. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    XL is actually a bit too big. Oops. They rode up on me bcz I put them in over my hip armor (they need to grip your thighs). The gu fell out of the thigh stash pockets and the cubes fell out of the back pocket. Good thing I had tailwind!

Giving them to a friend.

Because I wear hip armor, bibs don't work for me, unless I am doing a death march and skip the hip armor (then I wear bibs).

It would be nice if a mfgr made a bib short with stash pockets and built in hip armor.

Nice try, didn't work.

Danmtchl, littlewave and herzalot like this.
  27. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Thread resurrection!!!!

https://7protection.com/us/product/hydro-bib-short/

53BD29BB-9421-449F-97F0-0B42F558230A.jpeg

scan, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  28. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Mikie, scottay, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  29. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Wow, never even thought of hip armor/pads till today. :gotnothing:

scan and Mikie like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Looks like a good rec 2.5 years later!
    I already have a Revelate Gas Tank, and these are on sale right now, $15 shipped: https://www.speedsleev.com/product/smuggler/
    Too good a price to not give 'em a try!

scan, Mikie, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?