Quick Spin Through the Santa Ana's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Aug 6, 2016.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    So I threw this together late yesterday....my original plans fell apart, so I needed something else to do.

The plan:

Pre Dawn roll.....up Harding to 4 Corners, Main Divide over to Bedford Motorway, down Bedford...from there it would be a 7+ mile mostly road spin over to Indian Truck Trail(ITT), up ITT to Main Divide, across Main Divide, down Trabuco Trail/Trabuco Creek Rd, through O'Neil, then a loop around Whiting before finishing back at Harding.

@Faust29 was my riding partner today....another flaked out late last night.

After my struggles on Harding on Weds. and my shortened ride on Thursday, I was a little concerned with committing to such a ride. I pulled into Modjeska Canyon about 5:00 and received a text that Steve was running late. I rolled into the wildlife sanctuary...got out and started to gear up....it was dark...really dark. Good thing Steve was a little late, so it wasn't so dark. He finally arrived and we took off. About 1 mile up we climbed up into the clouds. We would spend the next several miles in the clouds....temps were nice and it made the worst part of the climb go by pretty quick. We made it to 4 Corners without trouble. My legs were feeling much better than the other day. I knew it was going to be ok.

Quick break at 4 Corners, then off Main Divide heading to Bedford Motorway. A few quick downs and a few quick ups and we arrived at Bedford. This time I took one of the side singletracks, which I wouldn't do when going solo. It was loose and rutted, and I did end up off line into the brush, but kept it upright. At the bottom Steve took some pics, then we began the traverse through Temescal Valley to get to the bottom of Indian Truck Trail. Seemed a bit longer today, than the last time. Short stop at the sports park for water refill.

It was starting to warm up by now. Kinda wished the water park was on...oh, well. Quick roll over and began the climb up ITT. We were a bit behind schedule, I knew it was going to warm up, but figured we would be past those parts by then. On the way up ITT, it just kept getting warm, warmer, then hot. We stopped and took in the shade where we could. 2:20 we reached the top. We decided that ITT is like climbing up Harding...same kind of climb/elevation/mileage/grade. Steve was running lower on fluids, but figured he would be ok. We ran into a group of adventure moto riders at the top of ITT. We chatted with them for a little bit. They were gonna head down ITT, so one of the riders offered up his extra water. I was good, but Steve took advantage. From there, we walked up the Wall...riding up just wasn't gonna happen. Just before West Horsethief , it just got downright hot.

Each time we wanted to stop and take in some shade, we were swarmed by the bugs....kinda kept us moving. The ride across to Trabuco went by in short time. I can't believe on how loose, dry and powdery Main Divide and ITT were. A very short break at the top of Trabuco Trail, then headed down. Again the trail was very overgrown. Stopped at the Xmas Tree for a couple pics. Fun run down Trabuco. Steve finally ran out of fluids...since I am such a camel, I was happy to share. Down Trabuco Creek Rd.....is what it is, you just gotta deal with it.

IMG_1821.JPG

We stopped at Trabuco General Store for some cold fluids....it tasted so nice. Gotta remember that it's there. Quick spin through ONeil Park, and up Monastary Rd. and down Live Oak Trail. Steve was hurting by this time. We had already decided that we would skip the Whiting Loop. It was pretty hot coming back up Santiago Cyn Rd. and up Modjeska Grade. Finally made it back to the start.

Felt good all day...what a difference a day makes. Good day on the bike.

Screenshot (415).png Screenshot (416).png

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    It's nice that you have each other. ;)
    Nice ride fellas! Darn bugs...

3. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    You really couldn't find another 302' of climbing? :bang: What's wrong with you!? :sneaky:

Nice little loop, fellers. Sorry I missed this one with you, but I did ride my beach cruiser including about 100' of climbing. So what's two 0s?

Mikie, pperrelle, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

Don't get me started on that. :mad:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Nice ride! I think we all know what "quick spin" refers to by now. :whistling:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    My take... Which I had planned to write shortly after the ride, and after a lot of Greek food. But, I sat down on the couch with the wife, and the next thing I know it's 4:30 the next morning and I'm in bed, snuggled up with a yellow lab. Not sure how I got there and the dog isn't talking. Yeah... I was a little out of sorts after this one. It hurt.

I hadn't seen any ride plans for this weekend, except for the Cannell Plunge. I was really tempted to go, but just could not see another 8 hours in the car, after just finishing our family road trip of 2,000+ miles. S0, without any plans in the works, I hit the Strava Route builder and laid out a couple rides that I could tackle solo. Mtnbikej probably saw them and chuckled... They were both in the 35-40 mile range with 7,000 feet in the mountains. Coincidentally, the first choice I laid out included Indian Truck Trail and a Trabuco Trail descent. I hadn't been down the entire length of Trabuco in 2 years, and the last time was on a full suspension. Shortly thereafter, I got the message, "Any interest in a doozy tomorrow?" Who could say no to that? We agreed on a 5:15 start at the Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary. Pretty early, but I have my routine down for those early starts...

I had my normal espressos, some oatmeal, and an egg and toast before I headed for the garage. The last thing I do before loading the bike is to check the air. The rear tire was a little low... But when I attached the pump, I couldn't get a seal. Huh... Something's not quite right here. Thankfully, I had a spare valve in the toolbox, and didn't have to take apart another tire... But this put me behind schedule, and resulted in a 5:30 start. I really don't like being "the late guy".

Shei├če...
    IMG_1421.jpg

It was still on the dark side when we started up Harding, but it didn't last long, and then we rolled into the clouds. I've had this before on Harding, where you can only see 50 yards or so up the trail. Mentally, it makes the climb much easier, as it breaks it into nice little segments. By the time we ride above the clouds, the worst of the trail had passed, and it was smooth sailing all the way to the top. Much easier than the other night, when Harding was the entire ride, and not just the warmup.

Finally above the clouds...
    IMG_1391.jpg

The 5 mile point on Harding is where it really starts to get easier... Apparently this is also a favorite spot for the locals. The tracks were pretty visible between miles 5 and 6. And, I kept thinking, "We're only a canyon away from where the aggressive lion was spotted on STT."

IMG_1392.jpg

We hit Main Divide, and I was able to send a text to the wife. My original plan was to have the wife drive me to Tucker, and then head home after Trabuco, which is just a quick spin to the top of the mesa in RSM. I didn't have the heart to wake the wife up, though, at 4:45. Plan B formed, and I was hoping that one of the kids would need the car, and go pick it up at some point in the day... I would have to wait for my answer, though, as we didn't have cell signal until we dropped into Corona.

The section of Main Divide from 4 Corners to Bedford Motorway was new for me. It started out really smooth. Probably one of the smoothest sections of Main Divide in the entire range... I was ok with that. Recovery miles! And then we hit the powdery downhills. Jason kicked up so much powder that it was impossible to see the trail if I followed any closer than 50 yards. His tires picked up the dust, and it hung in a thick sheet a foot above the trail. o_O Most of the ride to Bedford was "normal" fire road. A few downhills, however, were more like Rockit in Aliso... I have a Jeep, and I'm not sure I'd take it up a few of those sections alone. Loose, rocky, cratered, and all covered with several inches of powder to hide all of the smaller rocks.

This section also afforded a nice view of Silverado Motorway and Maple Springs. And... The people climbing Maple Springs. WTF? Stay out of the closure...

New gate at Bedford... Complete with graffiti and a motorcycle cut around. :thumbsdown:
    IMG_1397.jpg

Checking the view into Corona before dropping Bedford
    IMG_1400.jpg

I had looked at the elevation profile for the entire ride, and expected Bedford to be just a straight drop into Corona. The upper half, though, had some small climbs, and felt more like Main Divide than an access road. The entire descent was criss crossed with single tracks... Some of them were definitely more of the downhill stormtrooper variety. We took one near the top that was probably less than 1/2 mile long. Loose, rocky, rutted, but not too steep... just fast and fun.

Start in the OC and wind up at the 15... o_O
    IMG_1406.jpg

I tried to get Jason to go to the yard sale, but he said it would mess up the schedule... :thumbsdown:
    IMG_1409.jpg

The road between the bottom of Bedford and Indian Truck Trail wasn't the best part of the ride... But there were some long sections of multi-use trail that were a nice surprise. I expected pavement the entire 7 miles, but we got to ride on a perfectly groomed bed of decomposed granite. It was also a little strange passing "Modjeska Canyon" and "Santiago Canyon Road" signs on this side of the mountain. How dare they take our names! :mad::D

Just before the Indian Truck Trail climb is a brand new sports park. I was really hoping that there would be a baseball game going on... Baseball means coolers of ice, and no warm fountain water. No such luck. :thumbsdown: This is also the point that it dawned on me that our next possible water stop was O'Neill Park on the other side of the mountain and in another county. That is beyond mind boggling...

Next water stop: Over the mountain and down the other side... :eek:
    IMG_1412.jpg

Indian Truck Trail. It sucked. Maybe if the legs had been a little fresher, it would have been ok. My first impression, though, is that it's at least as difficult as Harding, and maybe a little more difficult. The numbers are similar, but it seems to wind more, and the exposure on the bottom half is similar to Skyline. Basically, you bake in the sun. Finally at the top, we took a break and were soon joined by 3 motorcyclists. A lot of the bikers you see on Main Divide are knuckleheads out for a quick joy ride... These guys were not. They started from Redondo Beach, and rode the entire stretch of Main Divide from the 74 to Indian Truck Trail in preparation for a longer Colorado trip. That stretch of Main Divide has some really rough areas... We mountain bikers talk about rides being rough on the body. I imagine it was equally as rough on a motorcycle to cover some of those sections...

Poor planning... I started doing the math on the way up ITT, and knew that I needed at least one bottle to cross Main Divide from the top of ITT to the Trabuco Trail. When the motorcyclist filled a second bottle for me, I thought I was golden... We hadn't seen any temps over the low 80s by this point, and most of the morning had been quite a bit cooler. Main Divide, however, quickly showed us upper 90s. My water supply, and energy, both dwindled... :gag: I ended up walking a couple hundred yards of the last climb to the top of Trabuco Trail... And I was really looking forward to the descent. Jason beat me to the top by 5 minutes or so, and was chatting with another group of dirt bikers. I was getting a little fried by this point, and don't remember a word of what they were saying... o_O

I got a little bit of a second wind with the thought of dropping Trabuco... I hadn't been down it in over 2 years. At that time, I was a lurker on STR, rode entirely solo, thought I needed full suspension for everything, and thought 5,000 feet was a huge ride! Times change... :thumbsup:

Trabuco is one of the best single track descents in this area. Period. Over 4 miles of descent... with exposure, scenery, loose sections, sharp rocks, drops, and a Christmas Tree. Who could ask for more? :thumbsup: It will not take me 2+ years to get back to it... The only issue I had going down was worrying about my $8 tire on the rear with all the sharp rocks. It held... And is now officially the best "deal" I've ever found on line!

Trabuco Christmas Tree...
    IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

Out of Trabuco Trail, onto the Trabuco Wash, and downhill all the way back to the Trabuco General Store... Trabuco Trail is over 4 miles of single track descent, but the Trabuco Wash adds another 5 miles of downhill to the equation. :thumbsup:

We tied up our trusty steeds...
    IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

The essentials...
    IMG_1420.jpg

Now... The lousy part is that I live about a mile away from the General Store. If the wife and kids had picked up the car from Tucker, I could have cruised home. But, for the first time in recorded history, the kids actually stayed home and didn't need a car... Which meant an extra 8 miles of pedaling for Dad to get back to the starting point. Normally, 8 miles is a warmup. But, Dad really hurt at this point.

I fell off the back a few times heading through O'Neill, and I walked a couple short sections that I've never walked before. And, I walked the bottom half of Modjeska Grade. Jason was waiting patiently in the shade at the right hand turn where it flattens out a little bit. He said some words of encouragement, but all I got was "ride done quicker pedal". So, I rode to the top of STT... And bombed down the road to Modjeska Canyon. I was thinking clearly enough to know that I wanted as much momentum as I could get coming off the downhill. And then a very kind lady in a little white car turned right in front of me, and I had to come to almost a dead stop at the beginning of the flat section. Thanks, Lady! I didn't really need that momentum... :devilish:

I really hurt after this one. But... I notched another "big" ride, which feels really good... :thumbsup: Jason would have probably finished this ride in at least an hour less if he were solo. We all joke that he isn't human, but I'm really starting to wonder... It's just not logical that someone gets stronger as the ride goes on. :thumbsup:

Untitled 2.jpg

7. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Oh Man... I knew you were going to go there. This was actually a post ride discussion... My Garmin must be the more accurate of the two, though. It had us just over 10,000 feet. I offered to sell him my Garmin, but he thought the $500 price tag was a little steep. :whistling:

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    So this is what you were hearing the last part of the ride?

What I really said was it was only 2 more minutes of pedaling to get to the top of Modjeska Grade

Way to hang tough and finish....I looks like a not so hard ride, but in reality has 2 HC climbs, plus Main Divide thrown in just for good measure. I have been there before.

Yesterday was bit different...I felt good the whole day. Compared to how I have been feeling on the bigger rides the last few weeks, it was a nice change.

Sooooo, the big question is, "are you gonna keep ITT in the ride rotation"?

On a side note, I skipped the Whiting Loop cause it was getting late, and I wanted to get home to have lunch before we were supposed to go out to dinner. I got home and found out our dinner plans had been cancelled. Oh, well.

Mikie, pperrelle, Cougar and 2 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Heck of a ride. I think I'd take an extra day to do that one. Wow.

10. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:

I realize after re-reading my description that it sounds pretty bad... And that's how I felt the last 20 miles or so. Overall, though, it was a very good ride... No reason not to keep ITT in the rotation. :thumbsup: I'd really like to give it another try with a slightly fresher set of legs and lungs. Maybe a Holy Jim-ITT out and back? That still gives 30ish miles and 7000 feet from the house.

Although, I almost hate to throw this out there... When I was limping to the top of Trabuco Trail, I started thinking, "It's only 3 more miles to San Juan.... Hmmm, maybe when the weather is cooler." o_O :confused::eek::Roflmao:sick::gag::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit: A little more reflection... I'm pretty sure that my worst feeling segments were a direct result of the temperature increases. Harding was a breeze compared to the other day. Main Divide was a piece of cake, as was the descent into Corona, and the road miles. I really didn't start to feel it until the temps started shooting up. Although I hate the backpack, it probably would have been the smarter choice yesterday, as I could have skipped the self-rationing on the way up Indian Truck Trail, which was probably the point in the ride that I needed to consume the most.

11. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    It's like calling the Grand Canyon a little rain rut :eek:

Mikie, Danimal, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Well, technically it is... :whistling:

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    For what I would consider to be "the big city" it really blows me away that you guys have this much quality riding in your neck of the woods. I live on "the outskirts" and @Mikie lives in "the sticks" and we have to get real creative to get 30+ mile loops that don't require bail money or hospital stays. Thanks for posting & I really need to venture south for a tour.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:

You guys would really like something like the Holy Jim- Main Divide- Trabuco loop. I think @Tom the Bomb has ventured this way for that one before. Long single track ascent followed by a jaunt across Main Divide, followed by a 4+mile semi-techy descent back to the creek level. 30+ miles total... Any time!

And, I know where to get tacos afterwards. I won't send you guys to Carl's like @Mikie did last time he was in my hood... :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure.

Go with the highest reading. You earned it! Or average the two and maybe you are still over 10,000. Or add any flights of stairs you walked up that day and add it to your total! :thumbsup: :cool:

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Picture slot machine dredged this one up. :speechless::sick:

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Yummmm...::need to do this one again...:.when it cools down.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Hmmmmm......I think it cooling down now. :whistling: