Question about boost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chevrolegs, Mar 2, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Hi guys!

I recently placed an order for a SC highball and have been looking into new wheels online. It’s been a few years since I’ve made a mtb purchase I’m not too familiar with boost hubs/wheels.

On the SC website it lists the front hub as 15x110 which makes it boost (?).. but the rear wheel is the standard 12x142.

Is this common? Why wouldn’t they keep it the same for the front/rear? What would be easier, making the front wheel standard? Or make the rear wheel boost?

Someone please enlighten me! :)

pperrelle, Faust29, kioti and 5 others like this.
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    For a frame the boost is only relevant on the rear, your fork determines boost in the front. So if the frame is not boost you can still have a boost fork on it. In my case it’s vice versa, had a frame warrantied and the new version had rear boost and since I had newly built wheels around non-boost I had to get an adapter for my rear hub (boostinator). My Pike fork is not boost so the rear of my bike has boost (although my hubs required an adaptor to use with the frame) and the front of my bike does not.

https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/explainer-mtb-boost-spacing.html

Faust29, kioti, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mixed spacing makes it harder to buy/sell used wheels. Otherwise NBD.

Boostinator adapters make 142/100 fit Boost, but you can’t go the other way. Wolftooth recommends re-dishing wheel to compensate for the lateral position shift of the adapter.

Chevrolegs, Faust29, rossage and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    What they said. Front is independent of the rear when it comes to hub spacing. I've seen bikes spec'd with boost rear and a 100mm fork axle or 142 rear and a 110 fork axle. These days, one usually sees boost and boost, unless the brand is touting super boost or super boost plus in the rear (yes, those are a thing - Knolly and Pivot respectively I believe).

My next fork is gonna have 136.99 mm spacing, cuz, y'know, f**k yeah!

Chevrolegs, Faust29, rossage and 4 others like this.
  5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    if you're looking at buying wheels... I gotta give a shoutout to Speedtuned. Not only do they have some decent house brand stuff (hoops/hubs) at affordable prices. But their prices on dtswiss/stans/arc and other hoop builds with name brand hubs are extremely cheap. You can order straight from your website or do what I do and order through the path.

Disclaimer: Speedtuned sponsors the path race team which I am a part of. That being said, I would still be ordering from them because they are socal based (irvine) and they ship your wheel orders within 3 days without fail.

https://speedtunedwheels.com/

OTHRider, Cornholio, Sidewalk and 5 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Congratulations on the forthcoming bike, Steven! That's really strange that they're shipping it w/ mixed standards like that.
    Congratulations on the new bike! The mixed wheel standard is kinda' weird though... can't explain that one!

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    When I bought the Chameleon, I picked up a set of takeoff 29er wheels from Colorado Cyclist. They had a bunch of mixed sets at the time... None now, but their inventory changes frequently.

As mike says above, it's no big deal. The only drawback is if you resell them...

Congratulations on the new bike! The 27.5 Highball looks like a fun machine. :thumbsup:

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I'm waiting on a Boostinator kit now. I have always been a fan of adaptable hubs such as the DT 240/350, Hopes, et al...
    My 240 that is getting boosted was, at one time, 135mm/QR, then 12×142, soon 12×148. If it works out I will buy a Boost hub and build a proper wheel.

Faust29, UPSed, Chevrolegs and 4 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roger on DTS.

Wolftooth rocks...I'll have Boostinator on the Pedälhead to run my 240S. One more reason to avoid centerlock hubs...

Faust29, Cornholio, rossage and 2 others like this.
  10. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Thanks for the info guys! You guys are the best!

Faust29, mike and Cornholio like this.
  11. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Couldn't you run a Centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and the -nator?

I'd personally just buy 148 Centerlock, but I'm still 135 QR on my bikes, so I'm already aware that any new frame will need different wheels.

mike, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No, because the threads on the CL lockring won't be long enough to engage the bottom part of the adapter.

mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    What @mtnbikej said.
    Check out the Wolf tooth website. They have a lot of good info there..

mike and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?