Pro's and Cons of . . . . . . STRAVA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Sep 29, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Let's just get it out there shall we?
    There are those here that love STRAVA for what it brings to the table...
    ...then... there are others that well, not so much.

The "I rode my bike today" thread, the number one smash hit of imtbtrails started by none other than herzalot himself is a conglomerate cornucopia of small mini ride reports from all of us too lazy to put together a real ride report, but in many cases makes sense as our daily rides may not be of the epic nature we often invest into our terminology of and efforts towards writing... "Ride Reports."

However, there has become the sense of fun loving "tension" for the use of, and some awkward mentalities behind, shall I say it....STRAVA.

So. Instead of beating around the bush, let's just get it out in the open. Let's discuss our perspective of STRAVA and hopefully put to rest the perceptions of the loved and dreaded . . . . STRAVA....

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh no. The bottle is open, and we've lost the cork.

3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I think Strava is fine for sharing routes.

Some people use Strava for comparing TIMES or WORKOUTS - which I think is just silly. If you use a Garmin, the data is stored in a .tcx file, which is Garmin's proprietary xml (Excel) file format. If you own Excel you can open a .tcx file and edit all the data. I have edited a tcx file (I forgot to turn off my Garmin once and one of my routes included a car trip that I didn't want). If I wanted, I could edit my times so I took one hour off of a round trip ride on Harding, or for that matter, if I was really motivated, could create a route that made it look like I rode my bike to Mt. Everest. I could duplicate routes so it looked like I summited Santiago Peak each and every day of the week, and I could do it before I finished my cup of coffee.

But I find it really valuable to consider new trails.

rojomas, Faust29, Luis and 3 others like this.
  4. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    More Pro than con for sure. I ride with my phone on me anyway, so I start the app and I put the phone away. Didn't cost me anything, didn't take away from my ride at all.

I like seeing my data, distance, elevation, how much time I'm shaving off areas I've been trying to excel on, seeing where friends are riding on a given day, plenty of route ideas to be gained too.

I do a lot of Solo riding so it can sometimes act like the friend that's pushing you to put in a few more miles, etc.

I have no problems with the app, I can always just opt to ignore reviewing my ride on Strava, but it's nice that it's there for future review.

5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I can't really see any cons. I use it to log my rides. I'm a data junkie so it's fun to compare rides and times. That said, I don't ride to beat my Strava times. I don't let the fact that I will upload the ride to Strava dictate how or where I ride. I got back into riding a little over a year ago after a long hiatus. It's been cool to see how much my times have improved over that period. I also use it to scout new routes using the heat maps and to build new routes with the route builder. It's also fun to compare your rides and times with your buddies and have some good natured ribbing going on.

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I use STRAVA for 3 reasons from most important to least important:

1) It's a lazy man's Log Book, and I love it...
    • before STRAVA when I was racing I used to keep a log book of all my rides (like caveman Maddog still does). Copious notes of the ride the weather, how I felt, what worked for nutrition and what didn't. Now I just push Start . . . Ride . . . and push Stop. Upload, and I have years of much more detailed info then I would have ever logged.
    2) The Wilderness beckon's me...
    • As some of you know or have read. I am an explorer. I like to ride the trails less travelled. Sometimes they are not even trails but turn out to be cow paths. I use Google Earth to micro inspect an area for secret trails, lesser known moto trails, and adventures WAYYYYY off the beaten path. I then plot a path on Google Earth and then convert it to a .gpx file to download to my Garmin. Without getting lost which would be easy to do, I follow the that path on my bike using my Garmin. Uploading the results to STRAVA, I get a good view of the overall adventure and share with my friends.
    3) I use STRAVA to, *GASP*... measure myself against myself and others...
    • The dreaded reason so many that hate STRAVA continue to hate STRAVA and I get that. For the hippies of Mountain Biking that love cycling for the simple love of cycling, STRAVA brings to the table that forever urge in some to compete, and there are those that despise that. I picture them placing flowers on there steering stem like the vase of flowers in Volkswagens (good thing they are plastic so they do not wilt from the poor fuel emissions). But none the less, my competitive soul has a yearning from time to time, as a now considered "Old Timer" to mountain biking, to see just how I fare with the kids on some trails. But more importantly I use it to compete with myself on a fitness level. If I can improve my times on rides I do against myself I feel a slight mortality. I know the day is coming that I can no longer compete with others or even myself, but until that day, I keep this reason as the least important Number 3 on the top 3 reasons I like STRAVA.

7. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Endomondo for the win... :laugh:

I started using it before Strava came along... It's a great log book, allows you to find others routes, works with HR monitors, and has probably a whole slew of other features I never use. They have done a pretty good job with analytics on the website, so if you are into that sort of thing, it's there. I also still run my circa 1999 Cateye computer for basic telemetry. Between the 2 I have more than enough data.

The Pro version was $2.99 one time and has never cost me another dime, even when i switched from Android to iPhone.

As far as trails, I downloaded the mtbproject app... it's been pretty damn good so far.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    ^^What they said. And the mtb project maps are super cool

9. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I couldn't care one way or the other but then again that's how I view life ... :p

Meaning: In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter.

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Just to clarify, I log and keep ALL my ride data :) I am a data whore. I compare my rides one year versus another, hot day versus cold, etc. I total my calories per month, running as well as biking, and track my weight against my workouts. I use Garmin's Training Center for most of it, because I like the ability to download my rides into Google Earth and view them in 3D.

I just don't believe any ride data on Strava as far as "performance" goes, since the data is too easy to edit. I compete against myself - not some compromised data file posted online by a stranger.

11. ~ Z ~

~ Z ~ Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    BallisticWonder
    I'm not allowed to be involved in anything dangerous!

12. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I use it to remind myself why I ride alone:(

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I use it for the basics like mileage, elevation and route. I do like it when I PR on a section, meaning I am getting better or fitter. Other than that it is better than having a computer on the bars.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nothing wrong with Strava, just what it brings out in some people when they allow it to. Some Strava users I've ridden with, you'd never know they were using it. Others just have to be right up your ass on the trail, or otherwise going as fast as they can at all times while moving. Why ride "with" others if, mentally, you're not there? It makes for an exquisitely boring partner.

It's about competitiveness, and how one lets that affect interaction with those in her group. Strava or not, there is always a faction that measures the worth of a ride by speed or stats. I do it occasionally, but not while I'm in a group.

It's not really about Strava at all. It's about self-esteem, identity, security, ego. Racing is rife with it. But, each to his own. Figure out what your version of MTB is and do it up.

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Well Said^^^

ridinrox and Danmtchl like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have had people come up behind me on trails and yell Strava, meaning get the "hell out of my way", being that I am an ass sometimes, of course I did not get out his way and he was pissed. Don't be a douche on the trail, show some class and say "on your left" and I would have gladly moved over. Mike is right about how it brings out the worst in some riders. Me I just turn it on and go.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    My take on Strava....I fought joining for a very long time. I actually signed up to mess with a riding buddy. We pushed each other. I really didn't care about KOM's....as long as I was faster than my riding buddy. Eventually it just became the norm.

Pros:

Like others, I am a data junkie. Distances/elevations/calories/ride time.....I enjoy breaking them down. I like planning a ride, then analyzing the ride data from other rides to know how many miles, how much elevation, how long it should take me.

I also like the Log aspect of my gear that is available on the website. I can look at certain parts and see how many miles I get out of them. For example, I can track how many miles I get out of a chain. I can also compare back and see what chains last longer...for me.

Segments times can be a great motivator.

Really like the monthly challenges...."climb X feet in X number of days" or "ride X miles in X number of days". Kinda neat to see how I stack up against others in the US when it comes to climbing.

Like being able to join clubs with like minded riders....VQ Training Club, SingleSpeed Club, Million Feet Club.

Enjoy being to able to view the rides that friends are doing, even if I am not on them.

It is a great training tool....when used properly.

For me....riding is fun....being on my bike is fun...Strava does not change my ride experience.

Cons:

The system is not perfect. Data can be altered and manipulated.

The monthly challenges are a joke sometimes. Riders posting big epic rides with tons of elevation...only to find out that they spent the day at the mountain bike park taking the chair lift to the top.

I don't like that they don't separate Road and Mountain bikes. Going back to the Challenges above. I do well when it comes to Climbing Challenges....however the Distance Challenges are useless. On a good week I can knock out 200 miles on my mtn bike....but roadies are easily doing 400-700 miles a week. No way I can compete.

Segments can be a joke. Flat sections of trail 50' long are useless. I have actually stopped looking at segment times that are less then 7-10 minutes....they are just too inconsistant.

Live Segments on the new Garmin's are kind of a joke...you don't need live streaming/posting of segment times.

It is a horrible training tool.....when used improperly.

Like anything when using a tool the correct way, it work well for you. However, using that tool incorrectly can hurt you and others.

I generally turn off the screen that give me all the stats and just run off the map/tracking screen.

People that don't use Strava like to complain that it promotes users to be assholes on the trail....that is not necessarily true. The truth is....those riders were assholes on the trail well before Strava came along. Now it just gives you a title to slap a label on them with.

18. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    "Strava!” The idea that someone shouts this at others on the trail is cringetastic. :gag: Hashbrown douche-chills.

herzalot, rojomas, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You mean you're going to die?

There is no end to being competitive. (Edited by user)

Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.
  20. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r

this ^^^^^

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I refer to when the day comes that I can no longer ride a bike affectively, not necessarily dyeing. I have a passion for mountain biking and would feel a tremendous void in my life when I can no longer do this. Thus, my signature...

Are you suggesting I am berating someone when I jest regarding flowers on steering stems?:) I assume you are joking as well, as I have never berated anyone on imtbtrails. That would be against my own policy...
    be·rate bəˈrāt/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: berating
    scold or criticize (someone) angrily.
    "his mother came out and berated me for raising my voice"
    synonyms: scold, rebuke, reprimand, reproach, reprove, admonish, chide, criticize, upbraid, take to task, read someone the riot act, haul over the coals;

22. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    If you are turning over the pedals and moving from point A to point B, then you are doing it effectively. ;)

23. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Your seg times will suck though.:thumbsup:

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I like Strava, yes I do!
    I like Strava, how 'bout you?!
    Screenshot_2015-09-29-12-12-18-1.png

25. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Hahaha
    Let's set this ditty to banjo music...:whistling:

26. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I gotta admit Ed... I just did NOT see this coming from you! Ha ha ha ha haahhh!

28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Strava helps keep me motivated!

- My only "official" goal in Strava is riding 6+ hrs per week. Road, MTB stationery bike, what ever,... I just try to get my hours in.
    - I enjoy seeing measurable improvement in my performance.
    - The fact that I can compere lap times for last year's race (vs. this year's) is awesome IMO.
    - At times,the fact that every segment is measured will give me some extra motivation to push it. Some days I'll use any motivation I can find.
    - I ride using my Garmin. I only use Strava after a ride to "analyze" my effort. Personally, I don't need live info for "extra" motivation.
    - Most humans are somewhat competitive (some more then others). The fact that my friends went out @ 5:30 am for a ride is all the motivation I need to go ride that afternoon.
    - I know that I ride more because of Strava. At times I ride harder because of it.
    - In many ways Strave is like a multi-tool, each user only use a few of the tools, but it is nice to know that they are there.

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    (Edited by user)

Runs with Scissors, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  30. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I run, MapMyRide, Endomondo AND Strava...

...now that's saaaaddddd....

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?