Plain White Trailer Crash

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Maddog, Mar 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I'm white and have a trailer; BOB trailer that is! And it made me crash! It was on 2/20/16 that I took the BOB on its maiden voyage. It's an 8 year old trailer I bought off Craig's List so after a new tube and tire and cleaning off a little rust, I loaded up my gas brush cutter, fuel and McCloud, strapped it all down and hooked it up to my Intense Tracer 275.

Now the Tracer was not my first choice to haul the trailer but since BOB does not make an axle wide enough for my Trek or a used trailer big enough for my cheap steel framed 29er, I had no alternative but to buy a Robert Axle Project axle and use my 4 month old Intense as the beast of burden! The first task: work day on the Acton Trail! Just 3 weeks prior, I had hiked in to the work site with all the gear in a bag over my shoulder. 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down 4.3 miles each way. I vowed never again and started shopping for the BOB.

The climb was brutal especially since I hate climbing:mad:! I had to walk the short steeps at the base of the climb, nearly all the dips and sharp curves and could only pedal about 45% of the trail. Finished only 15 min. faster than my hiking time!:( Had a great, long day trimming brush so the rest of the crew, hill^billy, BikeMonster and his 2 anonymous trail elves could dig out more trail. But I knew the trailer would really pay off with a faster descent and a lack of sore, seldom used hiking muscles for the next 4 days!

So I loaded the BOB and started heading down the trail:thumbsup:! I walked all the sharp turns near the top of the trail and kept it slow and easy to get used to the feel of the trailer. I gained confidence with each yard consumed under all 3 wheels:geek:! Things were going well when I anticipated my arrival at a possibly troublesome obstacle: the small, maybe 10" high tombstone rock that kind of splits the trail jutting out from the uphill side of the trail. "I'll just slow down, go wide towards the edge and squeeze by! No problemo:whistling:! Well that didn't happen! That pesky rock moved left about 4" striking the edge of my trailer and pushing the tire off the trail! "I can save it!" thought I as I swung my right foot out and down to plant firmly on the trail. But my foot only caught air! The 40 lbs of crap in the trailer and gravity had taken over! I'm going down:eek:!

After a perfect inverted 360 with a tail and trailer whip:rolleyes:I landed gently on my back with my bike and trailer below me on the real steep hillside! You people who have ridden AT know the spot. It really was a soft landing on rain-moistened, deep soil with a thick grass landing zone! A small scrape on my elbow was the only damage! Bike and trailer were still hooked up with no visible problems:)! Now, how to get out of this! I could see where the crew was working on the trail and expected echoes of laughter to cascade down from above at any moment. But none came! They hadn't seen! Just like when Ralphie shot himself in the eye unobserved I started making my plan to escape from this predicament undetected:cool:! I unhooked the trailer and got the bike back on the trail. Now the trailer. Maybe it was more than 40 lbs! I couldn't budge it! Too awkward and heavy to heft up that steep hill solo so I had to seek assistance and deal with the fallout!

So I swallowed my pride, took a deep breath and yelled for help. BikeMonster was the first to arrive and after realizing I was ok scrambled down to carry the back (downhill) end of the trailer while I got the front. That dude is strong! With no damage to bike or trailer (everything stayed strapped in too! Brilliant use of bunjis) he helped me hook the trailer back up. By then, hill^billy arrived (after all the work was done:confused:!) and after seeing me and my rig were ok, started the good natured mocking:laugh::giggle:! "How did you do that:confused:???" "You are one lucky sob!" BikeMonster joined in a bit too and considering the circumstances, I had no retort!

Then hill^billy generously offered to be my wing man for the rest of the descent in case a similar event occurred. He was a welcome safety measure back to my truck! I walked most of the same sharp curves and dips on the way down but got back safely. Thanks to BikeMonster and h^b for their help and mostly to my gracious God who put that grass and soft, deep dirt in just the right spot! Now if He could only move that rock into the hillside about 3 more feet!

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yikes! Glad you emerged unscathed in both person and equipment.

Maddog and Voodoo Tom like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Glad to read it all turned out well!

Maddog and Voodoo Tom like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Maddog !
    As a contributing member of our education system, I didn't realize you knew so many words!

Man! Glad you came out of that relatively unscathed, well physically anyways!

Maddog, Voodoo Tom and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Great story! :D

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    @Maddog you sir have some SERIOUS GUTS taking a new to you trailer on it's maiden voyage by going up & down AT. The trail is plenty challenging, steep, narrow, twisty etc with just your bike and honestly I can't imagine doing it while towing a bob trailer. Huge props to you and glad you were able to walk away from that incident as going down anywhere on AT could have some serious consequences.

Mikie and Maddog like this.
  7. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    Bless you Son, you did the right thing by coming out and came to the right place to repent.

That's why this forum section is here... because misery loves company! :laugh:

Mikie, Maddog, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  8. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    It's all fun & games until someone gets hurt, right? And since no person or equipment really got hurt, let the fun begin...

It's the first known casualty from "Pedal Rock"; a solid bedrock feature on AT that even the PTC Association trail crew declared "not worth the effort" over 50 years ago. The fully loaded trailer clipped the rock, pitching it off the shelf and dragging the M-Dog over the edge along with it! :eek:
    Pedal Rock is not going anywhere soon so better get used to it. (lower right below).
    HB points to where he ended up...
    C8knIB8h.jpg

HB assessing the situation looking upward. Nice little drop off of that ledge. :eek:
    9SOcINvh.jpg

Where the M-Dog and his rig came to rest (always steeper than it looks)...
    q44FlVth.jpg
    xclnUEih.jpg

The trail-side debate raged on as to how such a thing could happen? (shrug)
    DRcqG8fh.jpg
    FeCib1ch.jpg

After all that excitement we were all glad to report that the bike and trailer were OK! (j/k)
    Nice legs Dog! :laugh: :p
    AgxyH7hh.jpg

mtnbikej, Mikie, Maddog and 7 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm just glad to see that H^B is still running his "bar middles."

Mikie and Maddog like this.
  10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    With a name like Maddog......it has to be good! Glad you were OK. Good thing the new bike was fine.

Mikie, Maddog and ridinrox like this.
  11. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Yes, I am part of the system but we P.E. teachers are the smartest, most intelligent of all educators. We get paid the same as all the math, english, science and history teachers but we never have to grade papers:thumbsup:! Hence the multi-syllabic words and lack of pictures; until @BIKEMONSTER posted his up!

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I assume then that you are still sporting your "Kirk to Enterprise" flip phone...?

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  13. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Damn! I was hoping all these incriminating pictures were lost in cyber-space! I don't know about "serious guts" though VT! More like serious lunacy:Roflmao! I'm sure I'll do it again though! Anything to get that trail punched through! Next time I'll walk around the tombstone both directions:unsure: or maybe bring a couple sticks of dynamite:eek:!

Thanks again for the assistance BikeMonster and H^B!

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?