Pivot Cycles: Off my list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Aug 31, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I've had a couple of them. Good bikes, I'd say.

But I'm going to support companies that focus exclusively on human-power bikes, and now that excludes Pivot.

Maybe when every bicycle company produces motorized bicycles (and no threaded BBs), I'll be forced to change my stalwart stance. Until then, I'll enjoy rewarding companies that I feel support my vision of bicycle riding.

Happy Thursday!

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    10k...... Wow :thumbsdown:

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Unfortunately market forces are driving this in most companies. Either join or be left behind.

My feeling is that ebikes are the main growth in this industry, with some of the sales new riders and many of them diverted from traditional mtbs.

What would you do in your business? Accept lower sales and a smaller company with possible layoffs or follow the dollar and continue to grow.

We have had similar things happen in the industry I work in. Part of markets forces at work.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If that's the stance we're taking, we won't be able to use our Shimano drive trains anymore. At first, it was the diesel-polluting engineers at Bosch who made most of the motors. Now, I see the new "Shimano e-system" in more and more of the ads, including the Pivot above.

Grassblade23, Mikie, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL! Are you suggesting that I pull the Shimano drivetrains off my mountain bikes and turn them into push-bikes?

I'm feeling more and more like Fred Flintstone with each passing moment.

Grassblade23, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'd do what Santa Cruz, Ibis, Surly and other bike companies are doing. Sticking to my core expertise.

Actually that's what I am doing. Sticking to my core competencies despite the so-called demands of my industry for other skills. How's that working out? I get as much work as I care to pursue, because the glut of "demanded" skills create somewhat a void elsewhere.

I understand the economic pressures of an industry like bicycling, Danimal. Many love-cut vocations are like that. I'm glad it's a mere passion for me. Good luck!

tick, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just pointing out that there aren't going to be any companies left that are free of e-bike profits in one form or another. Even the tire manufacturers (Maxxis) are advertising "e-bike rated". The next step will be "e-bike specific" tires.

Mikie, Danimal, mike and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    NOOOO!!!! I love that new 5.5 but I'm with you @mike . I'm only buying from companies that don't actively work to destroy our sport. As much as I can do that.

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    "e-specific lifestyles" are in our future, me thinks.

Could that be considered a racist term?

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Wall-E. The future was.

At least as far as the average e-bike riding humanoid gastropod is concerned.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I used to be a mountain biker, but then it became to trendy.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Fortunately....at this time the Pivot ebikes are for sale in Europe only. They are not committed to selling in the US til they see how the market is going to shake out.

Cyclotourist, MattB, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    My big issue is that the LBS's selling these things are not informing buyers that they can't ride these things everywhere.

Got this from a friend:

Thank you for contacting OC Parks regarding class 1 electric bicycles (e-bikes). Assisted class 1 e-bikes with an electric motor are considered a motor bike in accordance with OCCO 2-5-29(g) Unauthorized Motor Vehicles. Therefore, they are not allowed on OC Parks trails and OC Parks rangers are able to enforce OCCO 2-5-29(g).

Orange County Codified Ordinance 2-5-29(g) Unauthorized Motor Vehicles. No person shall operate an unauthorized motor vehicle: Four-wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle, motor bike, motor dirt bike, all-terrain vehicle, off highway vehicle or any other motorized vehicle within any County owned, managed, or controlled reserve area, habitat sensitive area, wilderness area, natural area, open space area, undeveloped area, beach front area, turf area, or within river beds, stream beds, creek beds, wash areas, wetland areas, or recreational area trails. For the purpose of subsection (g), "unauthorized motor vehicle" means any motorized vehicle that is driven upon said areas without written permission of the Director or his/her agents. This subsection does not apply to the operation of any publicly owned vehicle operated by a local, state or federal government agency, or by an authorized vehicle.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Cyclotourist, herzalot, MattB and 5 others like this.
  15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Stop worrying, these things are dust collectors. I would only be concerned if you see more of them on a ride than the OG pedal powered machine. It may be an OC thing, but I see very few of them in the places I ride. Probable less than 20 since they were introduced.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It's an OC thing....they are popping up everywhere. Especially where they aren't allowed.

Cyclotourist, tick, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Gotcha, affluent community issue probably.

18. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I will eat crow someday if my statements are wrong. I still don't think there is much to worry about.

19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I see them all over the Santa Monicas. On my ride Sunday one passed us in full moto gear. It was a DH version!

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    oh no. that's a Pivot on my avatar... Ebikes no good.. but Pivot makes some nice bikes...

Sasquatch9billion and mike like this.
  21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    A few weeks ago out at the Oaks. I chatted a bit with an older gentleman that was on an ebike. It was a early afternoon weekend ride. The park was empty. He told me he has to ride his ebike alone and when the parks are empty so he doesn't get razzed. His normal riding buddies give him continuous shiat if he shows up for a ride on the ebike. So, he chooses to ebike alone to avoid such razzing. I gave him plenty of shiat for cheating.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, MattB and 5 others like this.
  22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Besides pissing you off how did it affect you negatively?

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I hear you @mike!

We get people all the time in the shop looking for electric motor driven cycles.
    One guy was bragging how he can pass all those "stupid riders climbing" and how "stupid it was to waste all that energy" when it was "all about the downhill anyway." Right?
    I don't know, I must be stupid.
    The demand is there. People are buying the machines. Like @LLPoolJ says, most of them will be dust collectors in someone's garage-but some will be out there on the trails, legal or not.
    Maybe we need to wait for a battery-caused wildfire to get a real ban.
    That's unfortunate.

24. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Will your bike brand boycott work if you are a used bike buyer? My thought is if you buy new yes. If you buy used it will have very little to no affect.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Legit concern on the battery fire.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I have no dog in the fight. Don't need an E-bike, I have motos that I ride legally. But those are becoming dust collectors. Bikes are way more enjoyable.

Cyclotourist, tick, Luis and 7 others like this.
  27. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Ive seen ebikes on the floop!

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Actually it didn't piss me off at all. He pulled to the side and let us pass. Had I not been aware of e-bikes though I might think it was some dude on a dirt bike. My beef isn't with ebikes per se. More of irresponsible trail users on e-bikes

DangerDirtyD, Danimal and Danmtchl like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm not worried about it – I'm simply putting my resources into my interests. It's a way I can protest which takes virtually no effort.

New, used? Neither, please. I prefer to not promote any company producing motorized mountain bikes, and logos on a bike in ride reports and in the field amount to just that – promotion.

It's kinda vexing to me how a rider can wonder why another rider doesn't want his trail experience impacted. Reminds me of Dusty saying the number of users on a trail has zero bearing on the experience had.

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

@ Mikie, better break out the fire extinguisher quick, before this turns into the Station .

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?