Pimp my ride

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grego, Jun 14, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    0085.jpg Gold chains are in. Got this 9spd KMC chain on a blow out deal. No-one wants 9spd anymore right? Super blingy. Custom colored cassette? You saw it here first. :eek:

SHOW YOUR BlING!

[youtube]h6_s_SVhPgU[/youtube]

MrGreedom and GregMiester like this.
  2. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    Your pimp hand is strong, but is that a crack between the seat stay and chain stay welds at the dropout? I'm old and half blind so forgive me if I'm seeing things.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't see that crack Craig, but I do see the chain, and what I learned this morning, is that we don't need no stinkin' chains!

I have never put a product on my bike because of its color, so I will not be posting on this thread. I will however check out everybody else's blingy bling! Go for it guys (and gals)! :thumbup:

4. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    You don't need a cassette, shifter(s), or chainrings either :D

And with the font used in the OP, it looks to me like it says "Show your bung" :lol:

FullSizeRender.jpg

5. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Did you find a clearance sale on those Formula floating rotors too? If so, let me get in on it too. Judging by the SuperSonic Conti tire, I'm guessing you've been shopping the Euro sales.

6. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    CalEpic - no crack, but I wish it had one, then I'd get an upgrade with Giant's lifetime warranty. Heck That's how I got this Trance. It was a warranty replacement for my AC Air. Wait a minute, you just wanted to say "crack" on my Pimp thread. :lol:

Herz - you could still post here with those day-glo green stickers. So could some one else with red ano bars and rims (jaime). :cool:

Yep that spells bung all right DD. :eek:

Varaxis I get everything from FB and BP. They normally don't stock too many Formula items but had these when I was looking. Ricardo and Andre gave me something like 60% off. 1 Supersonic and 2 Trailkings free -Dino. Deals are made on the loop. :shh:

More BUNG!

rh.jpg

rm.jpg

ss.jpg

rf.jpg

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    But my pedals are red... And red and green don't match except at Christmas.

I will confess, I bought some gloves with green accents to match those decals (which Knolly sent me unsolicited). We all know that I am a pragmatist regarding bike parts, but I am the resident self-appointed fashion consultant when it comes to riding clothes and accessories!

:wave:

8. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Grego, paint the brake rotors red.... I can give you some pointers [emoji439] !

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I dig the dice valve stem cap! :thumbup: Just glad it's on your bike and not mine...
    I'm about as vanilla as it gets when it comes to bike bung...
    My world is function over fashion. :(
    Boring . . . . I know... :| :roll:
    I try to make up for it with my bubbling personality . . . :wave:

10. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    per-karlsson-detail-eines-weinfasses-mit-einem-silikonverschluss-193086.jpg

Albacore likes this.
  11. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Ok,it's bling not bung right?!?!

12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I usually keep my bling black, but the last few bikes I have had, I have been putting red cables and I get alot of compliments on it.

053.JPG

Doc Holliday likes this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Whoaaaaa! DAN! You are TOTALLY out of control..... ;) :D
    (the bike looks good though... :thumbup: )

14. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Nice Danmtchl, I dig the checkered lockrings too.

Scan it's bling for the record.

Bling on!

15. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    I want to contribute to this tread but my bike is still on ICU at lbs.... as soon as I got my baby back will upload a couple pics... [emoji6]

16. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Blue ano valve stems. Sa-weeet!

Beuller?

GOPR2444.JPG

17. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Wolftooth 1x10 conversion... Pimped and sort of a prod review.

PART I: The Bling

The power end...

Goat?!?! Yes, they have an option for goats.

The cassette modded. I went with their 16t option... more on that below.

The rear end ready to ride...

And the whole enchilada...

PART II: The Install

I was toying with the idea of upgrading/replacing drivetrain parts in the weeks leading up to the Bikerpelli Trip. A 1x10 option came onto the radar, and i was intrigued by the idea of dropping the front derailleur, and simplifying my life a bit. The SC Tallboy came with the 3x10 setup, so ditching 2 rings was also attractive. Weight wise, I'm guessing a pound or so... I didn't weigh it, as I'm not into the shaving ounces things, but more utilitarian simplicity.

I talked myself into it... and pulled the trigger. Since the current components were aged, a full replacement plan was launched. I reused the crank/BB and rear hub, but the rest of the drive train was brand new. The front crank was a breeze, stripped the old XT rings off, and on went the 30T + RR. I liked the look of the rock ring... so why not. I seldom clobber the rings, but it's nice to know that extra protection is there just in case. Going to a single ring, in my mind, a rock ring makes a ton of sense, as you are literally introducing another single point of failure.

The rear cassette was a simple unstack, and restack, with no issue. Crank the locknut on and your done. I ordered the Goat Link, as the Wolftooth guys say it does make a difference ramping the medium cage derailleur on to the 42T cog.

Installed the rear wheel, wrapped a chain, cut it to length, pinned it and got on with adjustment. Pretty straightforward, but the b-limit is key. I bought the longer bolt, and installed it in the derailleur.

PART III: The Review
    First Impression, WEIRD!!! Going through almost the entire range I had with my 3x10 with just the right hand was a strange sensation indeed.

I rode Bikerpelli a week later, and barely noticed the difference in the granny. The 3x10 lowest ratio produced a .67 ratio, while the 30x42 yields a .71 ratio. For a trail like the Kokopelli, this was a negligible loss of low end. I'v found that for some of the steeper climbs on the Front Range, I do at times wish for a little more spin. Motivation to get my legs stronger. You do sacrifice some top end, and I wind out at about 23 mph now (vs 31), but for the majority of my riding, this is not an issue.

One issue, the transition from 13t -> 16t -> 19t just never was right... it always half shifted (mainly 13 to 16). I tinkered with the adjustments, but could never get it quite right. Finally, a light bulb went on an I took a $9 flyer on replacing the WT 16t with a Shimano 16t. BINGO... problem solved. The Wolftooth cog just didn't seem to ramp correctly. The Shimano works flawlessly and I can smoothly go through the entire cassette without a hiccup.

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

MrGreedom and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    1) You have too much money and I can help you out with that by spending some of it on my bike . . . :|

2) This was such a cool post on an upgrade, I almost think it should have gone in the "Shop Talk" Forum (well done!)

3) Great review of the product afterwards, in addition the 16T Shimano adjustment to tweak it to perfection... :thumbup:

Well Done my friend! Well DONE! :clap:

Although I am still 3x10, this totally motivates me to focus on that 2x10 drivetrain I want on my Yeti. Just not sold I have the legs for a 1x10 drive train with as little riding I get in each week... :?
    Mikie

MrGreedom likes this.
  19. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    You have way more horsepower than I my friend.

YOU CAN DOOO EEET!

Oh, and I thought the same thing. It might belong elsewhere. Feel free to use your powers.

MrGreedom likes this.
  20. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Like I've said Mikie, you'll like maybe even love the 1x10.
    I'm thinking of going to the new Praxis 11-40 cassette. Good reviews of it and supposedly less issues with going to the larger 42.
    Thanks for the upgrade review!!

MrGreedom likes this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm still kicking this idea around, but I really love the 38 up front... Thanks for the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrGreedom likes this.
  22. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Check this out Grego... it comes in blue..
    <a class="postlink" href="http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/fresh-product-miles-racing-scented-brake-pads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/fr ... rake-pads/</a>

MrGreedom likes this.
  23. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Thanks Jaime. Scented brake pads, that's pimp!

TGTBT

bbp.jpg

MrGreedom likes this.
  24. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Sdg bel air 2.0, hope seat clamp, hope bb, hope Hubs and some new crank brothers dh pedals

rps20150710_110855.jpg

rps20150710_110652.jpg

rps20150710_110733.jpg

MrGreedom likes this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You guys are totally out of control! :D
    Sweet ride brothah! :clap:

MrGreedom likes this.
  26. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Thanks Mikie!!!

MrGreedom likes this.
  27. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Holy carp, is that yours?

As I've said before, I have never bought a part to match my bike, but that thing is off the hook awesome. I would feel a little guilty driving up to the trailhead with that beast on my rack. I love the fact that it appears to be a WFO - the long travel beastly Niner. The color-coded Enves may be the "over-the-top" item on the bike. Not sure about the magenta, but what the hell, a splash of color is a wonderful thing.

One thing though - there's a lot of spacers under the stem. Most fork manufacturers will warn you not to have more than 30mm of spacer to maintain the integrity of the steer tube. Looks like about 40-50mm. I say slam that bitch and get aggressive!

Other than that...
    Bravo :clap: :clap: :crazy:

MrGreedom likes this.
  29. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Not mine but pretty pimp. I can only imagine the coin this guy dropped on this WFO. I dig it. Powder coated spokes, Enve rims, etc. Would be a shame to get it dirty. More pic's on mtbr in the Niner forum. I agree the stem is too high, probably a big dude, that frame has got to be an XL. Still a sweet ride.

obama.png

MrGreedom and tortoise like this.
  30. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?