Pet peeves on ride day....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Apr 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I've made quite a list of things that bother me on ride day for one reason or another but so everybody else has a turn, I'll just list my #1 issue....friends/other riders that show up to a ride AND THEN decide to fix a flat, adjust their brakes, fiddle with their air pressures, install new cleats in their shoes, etc...

We already know Cornholio's biggest pet peeve is naming "unofficial" trails in videos. What's your issue? It can be at the trailhead or out on the ride itself...

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Riding buddies who show up more than 15 minutes late.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Just glad I have people to ride with. Group rides issues are expected. I ride alone when I am feeling anxious.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Wow.....you are patient. Posted ride time, is roll time....not leave your house time.

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    riders blasting music from speakers

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Being the guy who forgot _____. Or being late.

7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Getting on with your ride and finding new p-lines and ride arounds, or that people have sanitized a particular section of trail.

Finding cairns at trail intersections also annoys me. I always take the time to disassemble them and throw the rocks far away as I can.

8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    No cell coverage in most of Silverado Cyn + Maple Springs. Until you climb out a couple of thousand feet to the south side where AT&T has coverage again.
    First world problems, they're the worst... :whistling:

9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Finding out the beer truck ain't at the top of that long ass climb like your friend said it was. :bang:

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Subway sandwich shops that aren't open at the posted time...I can't tell you how many times @Mikie and I roll up to a subway for our morning fueling precisely at the time they are supposed to open only to have to wait. On big days I need to eat about an hour before ride time so as not to barf it all up so we have this down to a science. Call it a superstition or whatever but their breakfast flatbread done exactly my way works. You should hear the hear the crap that is dished at my local Subway on Saturday mornings when we roll in, God love those two ladies, they can take it just as well as they can dish it out...

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ^^^This^^^ :mad:

(we need a face-palm emoji)

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hmmm, I can only like the first half of this post. And I really agree with Evan on that one.

But someone marking their way so they don't get lost or so they can find their way on another occasion does not bother me.

13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Agreed....if there weren't cairns in some places I ride, they'd still be looking for me.

14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My post was a polite way of saying exactly this.

:laugh:, there is some funny azz chit in this thread!

15. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    My #1 is people who ride uphill with their helmet strapped to backpack/handle bars.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That's never bothered me, since their lack of helmet has absolutely no effect on my ride quality.

But I'm with @sir crashalot on the audible speakers. A pox on all their houses!!!

17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Mine is either old people who can't hear my loud bell at all or groups of Asi ... err... groups of hikers who randomly scatter to both sides of the trail instead of just simply moving right.

18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    For route information-- unless the rocks are piled up to make a "golden eagle" or "rock-et," they're meaningless.

For rock balance art-- stay off the Motorway. There's like a whole fantasy city up there.

I did appreciate some rock x's (and no, they weren't all in Texas) built along the edge of a cliff in the Sequoia backcountry. A decent head's up on a hard to see hazard. But other than that, I knock 'em down.

19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's why I ride with one of these.20180412_204359.jpg

20. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    When you get the hiker's attention by saying, "On your right/left" then they step to that side of the trail.

Do you have a link to this modern marvel?

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I didn't see any this past Sunday....but then I was concentrating purty hard on the trail in front of me.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nope - but those riding downhill without helmets? It's not a matter of if, but when. I assume they have loved ones who won't appreciate the result of an otherwise-routine crash or collision. I saw a woman starting down Rock-It last weekend clipped in and no helmet. Now, usually those without helmets are neophytes with tennis shoes and reflectors. I can safely say I've never seen anyone skilled enough to be riding clipped into their pedals yet dumb enough to ride a mt. bike downhill without a helmet. :eek: :bang::bang::bang:

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I noticed them on Saturday as I went by. :thumbsup:

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I was out at _____ _____ in Murrieta about a month ago and this guy rolls up on a 20+ year old, 26" bike with 2.1 Panaracer XC Fire Pro tires, cantilever brakes AND a kickstand. He was wearing sneakers and no helmet. He did have Border Patrol ball-cap on though. First thing he asks me as he pulls up to the mid-point is "where's the good stuff"? I told them but also said, I suggest you go right back down and buy a helmet before riding anything out there. I know better than anybody how important a helmet is...I once took a header, literally lawn darted, while rolling a 18" drop **at walking speed** and fractured two vertebrae, helmet cracked in 5 places. Doctor said 80% of people with my injury are either dead or quads. I was in the lucky 20% :thumbsup:

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    One word: Darwin. And I'm content with that.

26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I'm not talking cairns that are in places where the trail is faint and could otherwise be lost. Little Creek Mesa and Guacamole for example, I'm fine with. And I've hiked or ridden plenty of places where you'd never be able to follow the trail without them. I have no problem with those.

But if you need a cairn so you don't ride past an obvious singletrack where it turns off a fireroad, you might want to stick to signed and mapped trail systems in the parks. With everyone carrying gps devices or gps enabled mapping apps on their phones there should be no need to pile up cairns all over the place. Sorry, but when I come across those they're going down the hill.

27. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I have more crashes at low speed than I do riding at normal speed. When you're going slow you have less balance, little momentum, less likely to hold a line, and are more likely to be in a non-ideal body position than if you're riding at normal speed in a proper stance.

I've probably gone over the bars more times as I take a foot off the ground and take a first pedal stroke, not realizing there is a rock six inches ahead of my front wheel. Hit it while your front foot is going down and your weight is forward and you're going over the bars pronto.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Those first five or so peeves...yea, I’m that guy.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Then you need to go a little faster so that you don't have time to take in the scenery! Maybe take off those slow Minions... :sneaky: :whistling:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?