Pandora's box is opening. E-bikes

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by CarlS, Dec 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh crap!!! I didn't really mean Intra-Uterine Devices....I meant IED.:whistling: Complete brain fart. But hey, get yer 72 virgins in whatever way trips yer trigger, I guess.:bang::)

2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    We need to boycott bike companies that produce e-bikes, make it clear to them that they won't have our business if they put a motor on any of their bikes.

We all start mtn biking somewhere... I lost a Sh!t ton of weight the Summer between eigth grade and freshman year by pushing a GT Outpost up I think I can and bombing down mach-one.

Everyone has a right to enjoy our trails responsibly. But, if the blind and disabled can find a way to ride the trails without a motor....

Mr. Kish is a regular speaker at our Camp TLC event, I've been hiking with him on tech. climbs/descents and he navigates it all as well or better than an experienced hiker.

also;

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    And we thought it was difficult to spread good will towards other trail users before "inviting" another group of people onto the trails! The live-and-let-live, to-each-his-own philosophy only works when there is no conflict (i.e. collision or near collision). Then we all go down for the sins of our new two-wheeled partners. "For we are locked together here in this bittersweet embrace." Mikie is probably right - trail closures will follow asshattery. Such asshattery is ten-fold more likely on a faster bike piloted by less-committed people who don't give a rat's ass if trails get closed.

Ahh the irony. We know that hikers and equestrians feel the same way about us regular pedaling mt. bikers, so we have spent 10-15 years trying collectively to build those relationships, then along comes electric Fred...(e-bike, coming through!)

Pandora's box indeed!

PS: I saw one at the top of The Luge a couple of weeks ago. Later, as I was riding past Cooks corner on my way back to Whiting, dude pedals past me like - well frankly like everybody else but faster - but dude's seat was low, and he was too large a guy to be pedaling that fast up a hill. In that case, I don't care that he has an e-bike - he seemed a lot smarter than me at the moment.

4. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special

BeckTrex and Mikie like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Just look at the Horseless carriage! Pandoras box indeed, all the regulations, registrations, licensing, traffic, insurance...well you get the idea.

eBikes, just the beginning.... :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I saw a Full Suspension e-bike on Skyline Dr this afternoon. :gag: :bang: :mad:

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  7. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    "Ebike riders are infidels!! Chop their hands and feet off in the name of "High-Horse" ... :p

Yeah, I wanna live in a world like that. I may be "to each his own" but it beats being self-righteous.

I don't surf that much any more bc the territorial- dog eat dog assholes took the fun out of it.

We have managed to coexist amongst hikers, bikers and equestrians to some degree, what's one more group? Who hasn't or nearly come close to running into others on the trails?? I know quite a few.

Guess it's time to take up rock climbing. :unsure:

8. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    What if someone comes up with and E-Rope?? LOL

9. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Wouldn't surprise me but then again, I'd just roll w it. :thumbsup:

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

After reading everyones point of view, everyone has a valid point. This is America, the land of the supposed free? Because of the burocrasey and complications of this politicaly correct country I try to simplify things so that even us hillbilly's can understand.
    For me without a doubt, Ross's one point simply burns down all other opinions, trails, trees, wild life, beauty, simply errases everything, even the mirrors to go up in all of this smoke! FIRE! I don't like E-Fires!

Mikie likes this.
  11. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Okay! Didn't care about this subject until today! I think it's a fair assumption that there's always faster climbers out there especially when you're a Clydesdale. But at least they usually call out or you hear them coming. Today I heard someone behind me on a gradual climb and within a second he just shot by me not saying a word. I immediately noticed the battery pack on the down tube. Are these seasoned MTBers or old timers that just got lazy? At any rate it would not be a big deal if at least he called out he was passing. Unfortunately he was gone before the next descent. I would have loved to stuff him in a turn. :whistling:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    At the top of mustard here on OC, a couple kids on fat tire e-bikes were doing donuts, and without helmets. I mentioned to their dads ( I assumed due to age) that they should be cool on the trails and e-bikes are motorized and not allowed. ( in the nicest way).
    They basically shrugged, said they were having fun so all was good.
    I ride the trails too, please do not purposely tear them up and make bad mojo for us!

E-bikes are going to make access more difficult in an already difficult situation.

Mikie, mtnbikej, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Neither would be my guess. Best guess is they're just newbs who got their new toys at Walmart/Target/Autozone. They'll break them and toss them in the garage soon enough.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  15. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Holy Thread Resurrection......seemed like a good place to post though

From the Big Bear Valley Trails Fundation via FB.

We are pleased to announce that Bosch Global, leading ebike motor manufacturer, is the financial adopter of the top half of Fall Line!

Wait, an ebike company adopting a non-motorized trail? Currently ebikes are designated by the Forest Service as illegal to use on non-motorized trails because, well, they have motors- albeit electric ones. So why is Bosch participating in the Adopt-A-Trail program if you can’t use their product on our non-motorized trails?.

eBikes have motors, and a shotgun blast of manufacturers are making a wide range of them; some resemble dirt bikes with throttles and behave as such, others are nearly indistinguishable from normal bicycles and are aimed at simply assisting, or helping, users pedal uphill.

Bosch is an ethical company, well aware of the issues surrounding their ebike product. Their participation in the Southern California Mountains Foundation's Adopt-A-Trail Program is part of a broad effort they are making to educate owners, renters, dealers, and land managers on what this mysterious product is and how to responsibly use them. Additionally, they are trying to corral all manufacturers to respect law and policy regarding their use, and to classify all ebikes.

We want to thank Jonathan Weinert of Bosch, pictured here, for all he has done and continues to do for program and our valley!

The sticker on the sign makes it official

23116885_1725670570779567_6829525617724482822_o.jpg

Mikie, littlewave, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is the beginning of the end... :(

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Bosch is an ethical company...

We're supposed to have very short memories and forget about that tiny little defeat device they produced (and updated 7 times) for that small Volkswagen diesel scandal... :bang:

OTHRider, Danmtchl, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Bosch + TLD = e-bikes for everyone!

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  19. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    So shouldn't there be a big NO EBIKES placard on that sign post?

This song comes to mind:

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Riiiiiight.... Bosch has no intention of strong-arming, lobbying and funding unrestricted e-mtb access in the Big Bear area. They are just benevolent givers who love non-motorized bikes as much as motorized ones. (I just threw up in my mouth a little).

Won't it be fun when the well-funded e-mtb pushers first gain legal access, then get trails closed to ALL mtbs?

CarlS, OTHRider, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.