Palm Canyon Epic is now CLOSED!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarlS, Mar 25, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    OK, did that get your attention? :shock:

Did everyone take 5 minutes of their life to send some emails?

I hope so! I did. doesn't take but a few minutes to cut and paste. FAX if you can too...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ivmtb.org/news/2015/3/11/we-are-at-risk-of-losing-the-palm-canyon-epic-ride-route-forever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ivmtb.org/news/2015/3/11/we- ... te-forever</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.icontact-archive.com/Dptky8jk3Ss4TAsG-PLjZk8zrUkaT6q3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.icontact-archive.com/Dptky8j ... 8zrUkaT6q3</a>

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If you never have ridden Palm Canyon... you have missed out.
    If you don't follow through with the request above...you're messing up!

Can we count on us to step up as a Trail User Group to follow through on submitting our concerns. If we want to have "SAY", we need to "VOICE" our concerns. We can not rely on someone else to do it.

This is an easy one! Please take a few minutes to fill out the above, send it, then post here....DONE!
    Thank you!
    Mikie

3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Done. Yeah.... This is important....

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    This can also be done through IMBA:

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.imba.com/alert/help-protect-california%E2%80%99s-palm-canyon-epic-trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.imba.com/alert/help-protect ... epic-trail</a>

Done

5. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    thanks mtmbikeej. that petition is actually even easier to use than sending an email. but of course you can also do both!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Done...

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And done again through the link that J provided...

8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I signed the petition.

However, out and back is a pretty cool ride too - don't have that F'in 3 mile wash to contend with.

I say let the Native Americans have their appointed land - there's so many other places to ride folks. Dang, try Simpson Park, Ramona Trail, Art Smith, Hurkey Creek, Iddy!!!

As much as I despise this expression: Just sayin.

9. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Done. sending emails, fax, and surveys questions to all mentioned parties.

10. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Loosing access no matter how much other stuff is nearby is a bad idea. If the Indians were smart they would setup a lemon aid stand and jeep shuttles across the sand wash. I know many of us the would pay shuttle fees and day use fees to be able to ride Joe Pond Trail...I know a would be all over it. Day passes to ride bikes out of the Trading Post with a beer bar would bring in dozens of MTBers every weekend. The tribe could turn that place into a MTBing mecca. But I suppose it is easier to live of white man guilt and gambling proceeds.

Dean

11. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Done. It would suck to lose it and know you didn't at least try to do something about it.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Done, done and done...

As I said in the Laguna's Got the Goods thread...

"For better or for worse, we need to be a loud presence in the politics and almost invisible on the trails. :? "

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    This is a political quagmire for me. On the one hand I treasure riding the PCE, but on the other hand the Agua Caliente Band has fought far more noble battles just to exist so they could assert authority on their traditional use areas. I work with the BLM Palm Springs Field Office and the Tribe to mitigate impacts to ancestral remains, both material and human. Ultimately, the Tribe feels disregarded, and this undertaking is just as much symbolic as it is about the relics and landscape. My advice is either to make friends with members of the Tribe, or to get a major utility company to acquire right-of-way and build a pipeline or transmission circuit along the preferred and alternative PCE trail routes (would require another EIS). My condolences to the riders of the PCE. This is a loss for all immigrants to this land.

14. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Sounds like you are saying this is a done deal and we are loosing the trail regardless. :?

15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Under a worst case scenario, I expect we will lose the route as it currently exists. I like the idea of re-routing the trail to avoid Tribal lands, but building an official multi-use trail on BLM land will require environmental analysis, and I never recall any potential PCE rider acknowledging the BigHorn Sheep lambing season. I'm not sure what will ultimately happen, but I do know if you can drop a respected Cahuilla name while on the trail you have a better chance of getting passage. Anybody know of any Native Americans who love to ride motor-less cycles?

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Done!
    Took me 2 days to take 3 minutes if that! :lol:
    Who is the next Done?
    I may send out a bulk email to all the members asking to get this done...
    So if you get one, just giving a heads up... :D

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is a Bump!
    I believe that we need to keep focus on this and I am asking all imtbtrails members to please submit the form above...

As well, I am requesting that you share this link or any link to the form on any other Forum you are members of to open this up to the MTB network....

Then,
    Please post "DONE" here so we can get a survey of how many has submitted.

Thank you so much!
    Mike

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sent mine via IMBA.....done.

19. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Done.

20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
  21. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    I think this may be my first post here so I will start by saying hello. I recognize a few names from STR. It's good to see a well run site for the faithful to land on.

The PCE and surrounding trails are some of the best desert trails I have ridden. The impact of this land swap is much more dire than it appears on the surface. I have corresponded via e-mail with the BLM official in charge of this district and my opinion is the attempt is to ram this through with as little public input as possible. Thankfully the local hiker groups have stepped up and made a stink to put this on the radar and require the proper public comments, environmental impact reports, etc. I'm glad to see IMBA joining the party. In summary, the BLM and especially the tribe can not be trusted to act in the public's best interest. Make no mistake, if this deal goes through, we will not be riding any trails on tribal land without poaching. The tribe has previously agreed as part of the land swap to keep existing multi-use trails on their lands open to bikes, but have recently closed these trails to bikes. It's not just cyclists that are affected. Equestrians and hikers are also impacted through access fees. The tribe simply wants to monetize access to public lands. I understand the rationale to minimize the checkerboarding of BLM/Tribal parcels but this makes no sense.

It only takes a few seconds to add your name to the IMBA petition. Please take just a moment to make your voice heard.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Welcome to IMTB, Mr. Epic! :wave:

23. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Better late than never, DONE. :cool:

24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    You bet you're ass its done!

25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I forgot to mention...DONE!

26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I'm surprised there isn't more activity on this thread. Maybe the moles are working underground for better results.

Here is an interesting article on Aboriginal trails in the Colorado Desert.

<a class="postlink" href="Http://www.pcas.org/documents/4834apple.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">Http://www.pcas.org/documents/4834apple.pdf</a>

Although Paln Canyon is not specifically identified, the numerous archaeological resources along it's entire proximity testify to its age and place in history. A person can obtain resources from several ecosystem zones, ranging between low desert to sub-alpine, within a single day's walk. In this part of the world is some of the most prominent topography anywhere. Think of it as the Palm Canyon Buffet.

27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

Science, F :eek: k Yeah!

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    5 kinds of rock, 8 plus types of cactii, plus numerous plants with human remains hanging off them....Palm Cyn rocks!!!!!!

29. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Miyaxwe! I know what you mean, what with SenSei's DNA on every cholla and acacia plant along the trail. But to the Cahuilla, we're riding bikes over the footsteps of their ancestors. Human remains indeed, and I mean no disrespect to the Cahuilla. In fact, I am humbled to ride a bike in such a majestic place. Maybe a system of reciprocity could foster multi-use trail access upon repatriation of the odd sections: I could learn a birdsong or dance to thank those who established and maintained the route - a sign of respect and acknowledgement that I am a visitor. Indeed, my ancestors roam elsewhere, but I live here with you folks. None of us arrived intending to oppress anyone. We just want to ride our bikes.

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Guys! Go get a cave together!
    You both now have the assignment to get more signatures on this thread.
    Yep! You now hang out outside of Walmart.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?