Pain is Temporary

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sidewalk, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    For all you part time, or closeted roadies, Neighborhood Cyclery is bringing back their PIT tour for 2018. This will include Oak Glen, Baldy, and Onyx Summit.
    These will be supported out and back climbs. If you are interested in trying to hit some of these great climbs with wonderful views but are nervous about the logistics, this is a great opportunity. These are "no frills" rides. They aren't flashy with fancy jerseys you can buy for a huge price or something. Just a way to go out and challenge yourself. Each ride is $40 each for the support, or $100 if you register for all three (you get a shirt if you register for all three).
    I've done all these climbs. These are the roads that spoil us in SoCal.
    4/22/18: Oak Glen
    5/20/18: GMR
    6/10/18: Onyx
    https://www.neighborhoodcyclery.com/

29136159_2296701140343950_7842785839284224000_o.jpg

HBkites, Mikie, Fueledbyex8 and 7 others like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I know where GMR and Onyx Summit are. I've ridden GMR's route (inferred from distance/elevation stats), but not Onyx. Have no clue where Oak Glen is. I thought this was kinda interesting. So I followed the link above, and saw the header for the Pain Is Temporary page. But no details on where, or of the route itself - or at least not apparent or easily found, but it was certainly easy to purchase. This is the kind of thing that turns me off faster than a cold rain. :stop:

Is it really that hard for them to describe the route, general location, or put up a link to a Strava or Map My Ride, or....? o_O

4. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    It's a small husband/wife shop, no employees (well, sometimes their kids help). They host a weekly group road ride and dinner, and biweekly beginner mountain bike ride. We have a Christmas party with gift exchange at the shop. These rides are not for profit. You can ask @LLPoolJ , they are like family.

I understand that it isn't fancy looking, it isn't meant to be. This is a small event, there won't be thousands, or hundreds, just 10's of people. Most people will be familiar with the shop, and the routes already. Most of the riders will be doing it to hang out with friends, or do climbs that challenge them.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Onyx is the peak above Big Bear, about 8000'.

Oak Glen is east of Redlands, and beautiful.

Mikie, bvader, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I get that. I appreciate that. But if the intent is to grow the event....gotta make it easier to get details. Just sayin.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Naw, they aren't trying to grow it. Too big becomes a mess. Just a fun thing for them to do.

I figured I'd share it here since a few do occasional roadie stuff, these will be scenic.

HBkites, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Got it. Yeah, I'd still like to get out there. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danmtchl and Sidewalk like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I do Oak Glen occasionally, it's easier than GMR in my mind, but still a good climb.

Onyx is hard, you work for that one. The beginning is spooky with traffic, so big groups are ideal. If you were only to do one, I'd do this one.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dean Benson

Dean Benson New Member

Name:
    Dean B

Dear Mr. Scissors,

My name is Dean Benson and I own Neighborhood Cyclery along with my wife and we are putting on the P.I.T. Series that has seemed to cause you so much anger. The actual link to the ride info is here https://www.facebook.com/pg/neighborhoodcyclery/events/?ref=page_internal. The link that Josh sent was just to pay for registration for those that wish to attend; I really have no urge to have you on our ride but just wanted to clear things up and make sure you have all the info you need to turn your frown upside down! I hope you have a sunny day since cold rain seems to piss you off.

Sincerely,

Dean Benson

OTHRider, MrGreedom, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I have no skin in this game, but thanks for jumping in directly, Dean. :thumbsup:

12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I respect it... But I'll also add it to my list of shops not to visit. A bit thin skinned for my tastes.

pinnacle10, HBkites, tortoise and 9 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

I have help run/organize enough bike event over the years....both large and small. Asking people to pay to register for an event without clear information is a fail. Even if the information is available somewhere else....you need to have a link to it on your registration page.

I see where RWS is coming from. Belittling someone for pointing this out is just childish. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off so dick'ish....or maybe you did. I don't give you my business, so not sure if there is some inside joke here. I know @Sidewalk and @LLPoolJ like what you have going.....but posts like this are the types of things that could hurt a business more than help. :thumbsup:

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Hey now, someone must’ve skipped over chapter 1 in the handbook of “How to Gain New Customers.” Good luck in your future endeavors! o_O

Mikie, pperrelle, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And the IMTB code of conduct...

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Hey now several of us around here banter with @Runs with Scissors but it’s ALWAYS in good clean fun. We kinda like the guy and his style. I’m not sure how to take this post. Lucky for me I live dozens of zip codes away and don’t really need to figure it out.

17. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Hey @Runs with Scissors, here's another choice: https://www.ocwheelmen.org/breathless. The long option gets you Oak Glen and Onyx Summit in one ride!?! And then you get to ride back to the start. :confused:

IMO, these 3 climbs can be done anytime and self-supported. You've already done GMR/Baldy, which is awesome, especially when the road's closed.

Onyx is in your wheelhouse if you don't mind the traffic and lack of shoulder. Park in Mentone and head on up. The descent's classic, though there's a (1 mile) climb on the way back that gets your attention. Sorta like Baldy.

Haven't ridden Oak Glen, but drove over it once. I'd probably avoid high use times. Seemed small in comparison, but might be worth it for the pie.

18. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    just FTR in Breathless Agony ... Damnation Alley was named by little Ole Me for reals, used to Ride Roadie with Santiago Cyclery and OC Wheelmen. Wrote up an awefull heat bonky.day on that grade to Forest Falls and the name stuck..and now is lore...

PS. was sure there was going to be a "Pain Don't Hurt" reference in this thread somewhere...

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, kioti and 4 others like this.
  19. Dean Benson

Dean Benson New Member

Name:
    Dean B
    No need to get so angry y'all, life's too short to let little things like this ruffle your feathers. My sarcasm is not for all, and I apologize for all that I have offended on this page. Josh had mentioned this post in passing in my shop and I thought I would just pop my head in and clear things up, my sense of humor is not for all and apparently it is not well received on this message board so I will bid you all farewell.

Yours truely

Dean Benson

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    So, Dean, you had me confused so I went back and reread my post. Can't figure out how I came across as angry, but okay. My intent was to note that it sounded interesting but page provided nothing in the way of details. Hope your shop is/remains successful. Cheers!!

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I've heard of Breathless Agony...my kind of fun!! @herzalot, wanna join in?

Mikie, kioti, bvader and 2 others like this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. :thumbsup:

23. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes. I've signed up for the 4-pass option, because anything else is just...well...too easy. I'm excited for the 38 mile descent back to my car, with my medal hanging from my neck!

Do you think my Minions are the right tire choice? And how much air should I run in my shock? I think I'll change it to the 145mm travel mode from the 160mm mode to be more efficient. :thumbsup:

And you big meanies chased Dean away when all he was trying to do was address the negativity directly - with far worse negativity o_O.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

With way more negativity....... :thumbsdown: :cautious: :bang: o_O

25. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    One of my favorite IMTB memories is seeing @Grego start out on a 50 mile road ride... On his 6" travel Niner. And he was smiling the whole time! And yes, I think he might have had Minions. They roll surprisingly well on the road. :D I would have seen the end of the ride, but my Stan's hub had other ideas. :cautious:

I went back and reread Mark's post, as well. It might have been negative, but I didn't get the anger that would have justified the sarcasm laden response- especially from a business owner and first time forum poster.

MrGreedom, Grego, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  26. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I'm just passing through. Carry on :ninja:

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    True dat... I went back and re-read Dean's post. Pretty nasty. He claims sarcasm, but I don't buy it. Even if it was, you can't use that kind of sarcasm with people you don't know.

Not very welcoming or conciliatory. I shall not frequent The Neighborhood. Dean - you will be missed. Not.

28. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Agree, I’d call it being snarky over sarcasm. We are a joking bunch so if he wanted to have a laugh a subtle first post would’ve gone a long way. Probably would have seen some business come his way from being on here. Perhaps the Lycra is too tight.

29. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    The part that really bothers me is that apparently he's not really concerned with his reputation. Not a place I would want to frequent. Does he not know the power of word of mouth, interweb forums and social media?

30. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    ^^He lost me at "hello."

MrGreedom, herzalot, ULEWZ and 5 others like this.