P41 is dead...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Faust29, Oct 8, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/10/05/mountain-lion-found-dead-near-verdugo-mountains/

SUNLAND (CBSLA) — A roughly 10-year-old mountain lion has been found dead near the Verdugo Mountains, and wildlife officials are working to determine if the recent La Tuna Fire that scorched more than 7,000 acres in the area may have contributed to its death, authorities announced today.

The male lion, known as P-41, was found dead by a resident Wednesday near the Shadow Hills neighborhood south of the Foothill (210) Freeway, according to the National Park Service. The cause of the death could not be immediately determined, because the lion’s body had deteriorated over a several-day period before it was discovered, officials said.

The La Tuna Fire started on Sept. 1 and burned 7,194 acres through the Verdugo Mountains. The mountain lion survived a few weeks after the fire, officials said.

A necropsy is planned in order to learn how the animal died.

“P-41 had already overcome a number of challenges to survive in a relatively small home range with habitat fragmented by roads and development,” said Jeff Sikich, a biologist for the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, a division of the NPS. “Unfortunately, there are a number of challenges for mountain lions to survive in the area.”

(©2017 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Another article said they are also investigating whether or not the lion consumed rat poison. :thumbsdown:

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    :( R.I.P. P41

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Bummer, that was our local kitty. The one my buds have seen several times in recent years.

5. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Somewhere in the Verdugos, someone with the screen name ‘Verdugist’ can breathe a little easier. :ninja:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    :laugh: :cautious: :confused:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The rats @kioti's house store it by the pound, but it takes down a 200 lb kitty? Doubtful, but possible.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've seen it used to take out large dogs, sadly. Potent stuff...

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, the moment I saw this thread, I thought of Verdugist. :Roflmao

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I had a dog (70 lb lab) that died by probable poisoning. I would be surprised if enough poison to kill a rat killed my dog. Even if she ate a rat about to die.
    Either way, I wasn't gonna pay a few hundred or more $ to find out why my dog died. My poor girl was dead and nothing would help that. (Though a dirt bag neighbor may have been involved. I think he's in prison for something else).

Whether this kitty died of poisoning or lack of food doesn't matter too much. It's a very small habitat for a lion. They need one deer per week.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I can safely guarantee that P41 ate his one-deer-per-week quota where he roamed as King. The Verdugos are crawling with deer. The odd thing is, he was found dead in a zone where he was not frequently seen. He usually hung out on the East half of the range. He must have been on the West end when the fire started and it chased him off the range and into Shadow Hills, where the fire line was eventually stopped.

I believe that the fire had everything to do with his death, either directly or indirectly. He may have been hit by a car, he may have eaten something poisonous, he may have been shot, or he may have simply died from stress.

I never got to meet him and that's a bummer to me. I wonder who will take his place?

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So sorry about the Kitty. Totally bums me out...:(

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Props to the management program. Sad to lose one of these amazing predators.

960x420_teeth.jpg

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mountain-lion-lab-results-20171219-story.html
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-rat-poison-20171222-story.html

The autopsy is back, and there was rat poison in his system- several different kinds. They won't say if that was the cause of death, but it certainly didn't help him any. :unsure:

I really hope the pesticide application methodology has changed since my days as a sprayer for a 3000+ acre nursery. Give a 17 year old some basic training, a tractor trailer, a couple of farm tractors, a license from NY State, and a monthly budget of 6 figures to spray a few thousand gallons every day across dozens of grow sites. What could possibly go wrong? o_O:eek::oops:

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Saw this a few days ago and I thought I had shared it here but I guess I forgot. Thanks for posting.

Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    When you are out with your dogs, NEVER let them drink out of a water bowl unless you know it is fresh water. If you come up to a dog bowl by a fountain and there is water in it, dump it out, rinse the bowl, and then refill it.

If there is just liquid in a bowl and you don't know where it came from... would you drink it? Given the wackos on this planet I can guarantee you that at least some dogs have died this way.

17. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Pretty sure they get the rat poison in the system by eating rats that have eaten the poison. Birds of prey have the same problem.

18. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Sort of related, but if you're on Facebook you should check out "Canyon Cam". There is a guy in Las Flores/RSM area who has a few cameras set up in the area and has been getting lots of videos/shots of a couple of big cats along with other animals. Pretty cool and a little scary at the same time as I've ridden in the area quite a bit at night and early morning.

mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.