One Sided Lock on Grips.

Discussion in 'Grips' started by Tom the Bomb, Mar 6, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    I have found that inside lock on grips are fantastic. Realized the reason why the outside of my hands were sore was because of the outside lock ring pressing into my hand.

mike, Danmtchl, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I discovered the same thing last year and bought a pair of Giant grips (the brand, not the size). Most bestest grips I've used to date. A little smaller in diameter than the ODI Rogues I've been using on my DH and trail bike, but bigger in diameter than just about anything else. And not having a metal lockring on the outside of the grip was quite helpful. However, the lockring is blue, and that won't work on my new bike, so I just installed some boring black silicone ESI chunkys on my Tracer. They have no lockrings and are an absolute BEAST to install. About the same diameter as the Giants. I had a set of Extra Chunkys on my Knolly for about ten rides, but they were too big. The ESI silicone grips are light, shock absorbent and conform to your hands over time. I am told they are pretty grippy too, but they certainly don't feel it at first. And even though they have no lockrings, I am guessing based on how hard they were to install that they will not twist while riding.
    ESIChunky.jpg

3. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    No lock rings here either using Red Monkey grips, very similar to ESI silicone grips. Light and super comfy. Easy to install with an air compressor system. If you don't have air you can use a little water. Not as durable as most lock on grips IMO.

4. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    That's what I got to(esi)...apply alcohol in them and they slip right on, now getting them off is always a bitch. Mine have never moved once on...

5. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I use a handful of long skinny tie wraps to act as 'ramps' for those sticky grip installs that don't allow for the ol' air compressor trick. you can tape the end of the tie wraps about six inches in from the end of the handlebar as they lay along the length of the bar. Sometimes I use a spray bottle with water to act as a lubricant it things are still a little sticky. Once the grip is in place, I can pull the tie wraps out one by one.

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    BRILLIANT!

Danmtchl, Mikie and Daddy Dirtbag like this.
  7. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I've always disliked lock rings for the same reason as Tom. Also have big mitts, and find most smaller diameter grips uncomfortable.
    Old school Oury's work for me. Black spray paint on the bar before install works, and keeps things in place.

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  8. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Mongo sez he likey....

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Instructions said alcohol or window cleaner. I used both - alcohol in me, and window cleaner on the handlebars and grips. :sneaky: Next time I guess I'll have to try it the other way around! :confused:

Orrrrr, use that nifty zip-tie-as-ramp trick. :thumbsup:

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I successfully removed mine a couple weeks ago when I switched handlebars. Aside from a couple burst blood vessels, they were a piece of cake to get off!

11. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Hairspray works wonders for slip-on grips too, they'll slide right on and the hairspray dries and provides a bit of adhesive too.

But I prefer lock-ons, much less fuss and mess. RaceFace Half Nelsons are great, if you like narrow grips. I want to try the AG-1s (Gwin's grips), single lock-on ring but flares out the bit at the end with a soft rubber.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    ESI specifically says not to use hairspray. I used to use it for non lock-ons back in the day, but I can see why it would not work with ESI - they would be stuck before you could get them on. I like the simplicity of lock-ons, but I like not having the metal ring under the outside of my palm even more.

13. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I have just rolled or cut them off in the past, including foam.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  14. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    I'm using Red Monkey Grips. When it came time to replace them, I injected a bit of isopropyl alcohol between the grips and the bars using an insulin syringe. They slid of just as easy as they had slid on the year before. (The syringe is left over from a cat that got sick and didn’t last as long as my supply of syringes).

15. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    The non-locking side of one of my Specialized grips has some play in the last inch or so, where the fat of my palm rests. Its annoying.....
    Some of the newer grips I've come across dont have the same interface between the grip and the lock collar as ODI uses. This makes it so I cant replace the collar
    with the lever for my KS LEV dropper. Also annoying....
    Torc 1 Racing is a local company that was giving some good deals to locals on grips. Check them out.
    http://www.torc1racing.com/

Danmtchl, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    The best way to install and remove ESI's is with an air compressor. Easy on and off. You can get away with Windex and rubbing alcohol. Just make sure you use liberal amounts on the bar and inside of the grip. I've shredded my hands installing them . Gave me some mad blisters that did not heal in time for the weekend.

They are not all that durable in a crash. One good digger and its done.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    ^^^ All that.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  18. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Tom, try moving your break levers in more so that your hands are centered on your grips and your index finger falls right in the hook of the lever. This will keep you from moving your hands out to the end of the bars.

Sidewalk, bvader, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Maybe it's just because I have hands to match the rest of me, but the stock grips that came on my Giant XTC are not something I have even thought about. They work, they aren't throttle grips, they have a 4 or 5 mm allen screw to tighten on the stem side of the grip.

I never imagined there was so much to think about when it comes to grips. :eek::cool:

Now I have to wonder again if I'm one of the cool kids.:(:bang:

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  20. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    Like I posted up above, it really has little to do with the grips and everything to do with the placement of the shifters and levers. Most people have them set up improperly. Hell, I see bikes setup from the LBS this way. They have them right up against the grips. This crowds the grip which causes the rider to subconsciously move their hands outward to get the proper placement of their fingers on the levers and shifters. Hence putting your hand at the end of the bar. My levers are approx. 3/4" from the grip.

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm the opposite..I've worn holes in the thumb seam of my gloves because my natural hand position rides on the allen screw head while I'm riding the bike. Maybe I should move the shift lever inboard.

22. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    When I ride I always grip the end of the bar. That way I make use of the entire width of the bar. I use 720 (ESI) and 750 (Lizard Skins Northshore) width bars on my two MTBs. If I was to move my controls in to move my hands in...I'd have to buy wider bars. :D:D

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hence my post about the Giant grips being the best I've used.

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I was going to mention the same thing. For me, ODI grips are a huge improvement over the 'ole "AquaNet Hairspray and struggle and slip Pro-cedure".

Then to remove them for whatever reason taking an X-Acto and performing surgery. I have also notice that on "spray and stick" grips during really wet rides my grips have "only on a couple of occasions" got enough moisture between the grip and the bar to where they have spun loose. Not a confidence builder when you are "screaming some vengeance" on a nice chunky section.

I'm ODI all the way with my "way cool" VANS tread patterned Kung Fu grip...!:D:thumbsup::cautious:

25. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Or loosen the screw and twist the grip a lil....

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It rides the bolt on the shifter, not the grip.

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Move those levers over!!!! There should be at least 3/4" between the inside end of your grip and your first lever assembly (unless that's where you put your dropper post lever).

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What in the Sam Hill is a dropper post???:confused:

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sam Hill doesn't use a dropper post...

SamHill.jpg
    He must be anticipating some difficulty though, since the wheelchair is waiting. PS. Note the location of his levers.

30. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Screenshot_2016-03-09-21-43-25.png
    I'm using this ergon grips and very happy with them, also the install was pretty easy.. no alcohol or spray nothing..and to take them off is as easy as install them.

Oaken, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?