Noob checking in From Ventura County!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Franperez0210, Mar 4, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Franperez0210

Franperez0210 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Frank
    Current Bike:
    Anthem X
    Just bought a bike, and looking to start hittting some trails. Let me know if your in the Area maybe we can set something up! I'm not quite sure what is a normal pack out for a trail ride so any tips will help!.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ok, so, you didn't specify the type of bike. The Cool Breeze Century comes up in August...if you road bike. :thumbsup:

Otherwise you have loads of trails around Ojai, Lockwood Valley, etc.

And welcome aboard. Ride lots, write lots about riding lots.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Welcome aboard Frank! We will assume you are a rider and not a spammer or troll. Let us know a little about you.

This is a great forum full of helpful people. And me. :oops:

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Anthem X in his info box.

So a fellow Giant rider for you, RwS!

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What, we're supposed to look at that stuff??? :geek:

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Where at specifically? I'm in Simi and welcome!

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Not really a MTB-ey place, but my buddy Rob owns Ocean Air Cycles in downtown Ventura... go check his place out!

8. Franperez0210

Name:
    Frank
    Current Bike:
    Anthem X
    That was quick, lots of quick responses!

I'm in Point Mugu right off the PCH1! I just bought the bike, hoping to hit a trail soon!

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Welcome, Frank, to a great place to air it out and yammer about bikes. I hope to share some dirt with you sometime. I'm one of the OC contingent here. Cheers!

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Welcome Frank! You've got (Big) Sycamore canyon right down PCH from you. Plenty of great mountain biking to do there. If you jump on the 101 and go up and over the Camarillo grade, you can hit Sycamore from that side off of Wendy road, at Portrero. If you keep on going East on 101, you've got Wildwood Park and Los Robles in Thousand oaks. A little further East on the 101 and you can use S. Westlake Blvd and Kanan road to access the Backbone trail, and a little passed there, if you get off at Cheseboro, you can ride Cheseboro Canyon. There is riding around Simi Valley, too.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Franperez0210 !
    Welcome to imtbtrails from Frazier Park!
    I'm not exactly sure where Point Mugu is, I always thought that was a Warner Brothers cartoon character. But I think you are closer than those OC Hooligans...

Ojai has some great riding, with some big climbs and great Singletrack. Be happy to kidnap you and show you some trails!

Ride Lots!
    Mikie

IMG_0414.JPG

12. Franperez0210

Name:
    Frank
    Current Bike:
    Anthem X
    Thanks Guys I appreciate the hospitality! Im going to check out some trails, realized Im like 5 minute's from the sycamore trail! Just need to get this damn tubeless tire to seat on the rim! Haha

What do you guys normally take on trail trips? Tools, extra tire, etc?

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Water of course. Mt. bikers often bring water in a hydration pack for a couple of reasons. 1.) Water bottles get very dirty on the bike frame, especially if mounted under the down tube and 2.) Mt. bikers typically take more tools and supplies than roadies do - including spare parts, tools, clothing and body armor. That said, lots of mt. bikers are tired of sweaty and heavy hydration packs and are putting water bottles and tools/supplies on their bikes or in rear jersey pockets - roadie style.

I typically take a spare innertube (27.5, which can stretch to 29 if I need to help someone else), tire levers, a tire pump and a multi tool at least. Plus a chain repair link and the knowledge of how to use it. Since flats, broken chains and minor mechanical adjustments are the most common on-trail ailments, one should be able to repair his own, or help someone else.

Beyond that, I bring a derailleur cable, zip ties, a shock pump (for adjusting my or my friend's suspension), some basic bandages, tape and a few items I need personally (folding reading glasses and a spare contact lens) my keys and my phone.

14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Franperez0210! Point Mugu ("Muwu" in Hokan) is a Chumash Village with lots of trails and lots of juju...good if you leave it in place, bad if you take it with you. To ensure your safety and pleasure, use a helmet and gloves and glasses and either a water bottle or hydration pack with your bike. At first, carry more water than you think you'll need to find out how much that will be. This is what I carry on rides:
    --Spare tube(s) matching the diameter of your tire (26", 27.5", or 29")
    --Portable tire pump
    --Two tire levers
    --Tire and tube patch kits
    --Multi tool with chain breaker
    --Chain link
    --Derailleur hangar
    --Snacks
    --3 liters of water in a hydration pack
    --SAFETY equipment :whistling:

For big rides (25 miles or more):
    --Spare derailleur cable
    --A buddy who knows how to replace derailleur cables
    --Whole foods
    --Extra water bottles
    --SAFETY equipment :whistling:
    --Spare outer layer for warmth
    --Maybe a GPS and/or map and compass

@rossage has a 2-liter bottle contraption guaranteed to seat the bead of any tubeless tire setup. On the other hand, I purchased an air compressor just for this purpose, and it's great. Everyone here is great, and we all love to ride E-bikes. Some of us go full-on storm trooper with plastic elbow, knee, shin, knuckle, chest, shoulder, and neck protection in congjunction with helmets. Others are spandex-wearing, saddle bag toting, water bottle drinking minimalists who ride around the block or over and around the mountain range. Personally, I haven't washed my pads in 3 years, so don't invite me to carpool if you have a nice car. I usually post where I poo and poo where I post. Today was a good one!

herzalot, SnakeCharmer, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  15. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    If the Anthem X has the Schwalbe Nobby Nics on it you can do it, but they are stubborn s.o.b. I tussled with mine a few times for a couple months before I quit them and got Maxxis tires.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hello and welcome, Frank!

You'll find lots of good information here, as the guys demonstrate above. :thumbsup: And, you'll find different riding styles and preferences around here... But we all get along. Usually. :whistling:

As far as equipment... I never leave the house without helmet, gloves, and glasses. I'm pretty consistent with water/electrolytes, so I usually know how much to carry. Like DDD mentioned above, carry more than you need, and downsize from there. Camelbak with 100 ounces? When I started, I took that for a 5 mile spin on flat ground. Today... I travel a little lighter and a lot farther. Only one bottle for my Motorway loop today.

In terms of fixing things on the trail, I always carry an underseat bag with a spare tube, usually a 27.5 that stretches to the 29 wheel. I also carry chain links for my 8 speed chain, as well as an assortment for others. My multitool has all of the usual hex sizes, screwdrivers, and a chain breaker. The pump is usually strapped to the down tube.

I hate wearing a pack, but I have been carrying one on almost every ride in the mountains this winter. The weather is just too freaky this year, and I don't want to be caught without enough clothes up there. Although it was in the 50s when I started today, I was in the 30s once I reached elevation. A few weeks ago we saw mid 20s and a few inches of snow. My Showers Pass rain jacket kept me nice and toasty along Main Divide. I also have extra socks, heavier gloves, a thermal head covering, extra arm warmers, and leg warmers.

If you ride on trails with a lot of hikers, a bell is nice... Along with the phrases, "On your left" and "on your right".

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I usually bring my bike along with me.

I tend to run light.

Seatbag: 1 26" tube, 4 links of chain, 2 quick links, 1 tire lever, 1 glueless patch kit 2 SS chainring bolts.
    Jersey pocket: multi tool, mini pump, phone
    Bike: 2 24oz bottles

I dread carrying my pack. Occasionally I'll put a 3rd bottle in my jersey pocket.

With the SS, I have less that can go wrong, or less that has to be fixed. If I can't fix it with my multi tool....then it is likely something major, and I probably can't fix it trailside anyway.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  18. Normally I don't bring anything, but ride with people who bring Everything and the kitchen sink and mooch off them!!!!!

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Oh, so you ride with @herzalot .....I believe he carries a spare bike in his pack, just in case.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Only a spare fork, shock and wheelset (various sizes, of course). If you break your frame, you will need to use duct tape or my hose clamp to get home.

21. Franperez0210

Name:
    Frank
    Current Bike:
    Anthem X
    Thanks fellas I plan to bring a couple of things with me. Im excited as ever for my first trail. Im going to ride the sycamore trail here around the corner, hopefully get some sweet air hahahaha

mike, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 3 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Once a year or so, I drive out to the beach there with my family. They relax on the sand and play in the waves while I pedal up the canyon. Otherwise, I park on Portrero and hit it from the land side.

Just cruising up and down the canyon on Big Sycamore Canyon Road (fire road) is a fine and scenic ride with a gentle incline as you go. I believe that all of the legal bike trails are on your left as you head up the canyon. Most of them are steep climbs up the canyon mountain sides. The main singletrack trails are Wood Canyon (Backbone), Guadalasca, Two Foxes, Si Nombre, and Sage, but there is a few others. The mileage can stack up there. Plan on a solid 20 miles with lots of elevation gain if you want a good taste of the area. Sin Nombre spills into Two Foxes. Those trails are on the canyon floor. The others are steep.

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Don't use up all your exuberance in one ride, bro! :geek: By that I mean...rubber down so you don't miss any of the fun :cool: HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?