Nobby Nic

Discussion in 'Schwalbe Tires' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Tire

Mikie likes this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Now these are the tires I like... have one in front and like it a lot. Really fast, doesn't buzz on asphalt, hangs on good through the ball-bearings over hardpack I ride on the most. Buy them (and all Schwalbes) from a German retailer (I like Bike 24) and they're about $40 each with shipping.

mike, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    These just came on my new baby. Is anyone else running these?

Mikie likes this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Running a 29x2.35 on the rear of my Ripley and cant complain. 500+ miles so far on some VERY unforgiving trails.

DangerDirtyD, mike and Mikie like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I just picked up a 29 x 2.2 at Sports Chalet's closing sale for $20. It seemed to do the job on Holy Jim, Main Divide and San Juan last weekend. No complaints... :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Just took a set of 2.2s off my hardtail. Decent for wide-range duty, but I put them in submission on the rough. Not sure which sidewall I had, stock El Mariachi was spec'ed with them.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Run 'em 'til they need to be replaced, then treat your 575 to a set of Maxxis Minions and don't look back.

9. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I had just put some Maxxis (Ardent-front) (Larsen TT-rear) on my other bike. I guess my stepson will get to wear those out. I was hoping yall would say the about the nics. I plan on running them until they are dead anyways. I was just curious.

Mikie, mike and herzalot like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Tried them, didn't much care for them. Traction was average, wear was way below par. At $40, not too bad. At the price I paid for them.... No thanks.

Mikie likes this.
  11. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I'm a Schwalbe fan, but the Nobby Nic tires aren't great. I like the 2.8 and 3.0 pretty well, but the narrower sizes are not impressive. The Hans Dampf is much better.

Mikie likes this.
  12. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Running a NN in the rear. Can't really say much since its on the rear. Seems to brake better than the Purg I had.

Mikie likes this.
  13. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    My bike came with these. Being new to mtb I don't have much to compare them to.
    The rear tire sidewall tore in the first 150mi of the Nic's life. Replaced it with a Maxxis Agressor that feels significantly more grippy. I still have a Nic on the front, but just waiting for it to die also. With the tire mix I regularly notice how much less cornering grip the Nic has, the sidewall folds more than the Maxxis also. Furthermore, since getting the Nic off the rear I climb better and don't lose traction as much going up steep hardpack. Not great at clearing mud either not like we get alot, but these get caked up slippery and sketchy fast.
    I understand Schwable makes much better tires, and these are supposed to be a value, but I would not pay to put them back on my bike.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    @Faust29 You have anything to add to this thread?

:rolleyes::sneaky::gag::cry:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... It was a $20 experiment. I saw mine on the shelf at a local Sports Chalet. It was, literally, the last thing on the shelf in the bike department, and it was just under $20, including tax. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't buy another. My favorite front tire is still the Mountain King, so I compare everything to it. The traction was decent, but not as good as the King, and I never felt like it rolled as fast as the King.

I'm pretty sure the cut sidewall came from trying to keep a certain SSer in sight through the rocky section just before Carwreck Gulch on STT... :whistling:

16. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I have 100+ miles on mine now and can say they don't work for me on this loose over hard pack I ride on. They might work great in some damp dirt where they can get a bight but not here. I have noticed I spin out more then I used to and I just can't trust the front is going to hold through some turns. Of course I'm just a guy with no skills trying to not get myself hurt.:D

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I got sucked in to the dream of lighter tires and threw a Nic on the rear again. I have already ordered another Maxxis Minion DHR 2, will remove the NN and save it for when Cathy wears out her NN.

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I have a 29x2.35 EVO trailstar on the rear of mama’s Rumblefish. I put it to the test yesterday climbing Harding and dropping Joplin. It seems to drag on the asphalt climbs and a little less so on soil, but in my head it doesn’t roll great. That friction becomes a perk when trying to control the bike on the loose, leafy, loamy, chunky DH Joplin matrix. It cornered well for me and had enough traction to reveal the weak sauce 1st generation Shimano SLX brakes mounted on the Rumblefish. I’m used to Saint brakes, and right away I realized I’d be engaging the rear SLX the entire way down Joplin. @Faust29 , you’re nuts riding down Joplin without pads and enjoying it.

mtnbikej, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Are we talking brake or knee pads?? Because he seems to enjoy the challenge of descending without both. :cool:

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?