No matter what we ride!

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by MrGreedom, Apr 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    The plan was to do a mid-day ride in Palmdale then dinner at my Cousin's home for Easter. Well in Sylmar near the junction of the 5 and 210 freeways I crashed... Lane came to a sudden stop and I think I need to switch to metallic pads on my car because the stopping power was Sh!t. Rear ended a old Mercury Grand Marquis. Those cars are sturdy because I barely cracked his bumper, but my Asia made 2013 tin can Subaru :bang:
    20180401_114741_zpswpn1dsvm.jpg

vs
    20180401_114726_zpssjl4rzzf.jpg

She had to be towed off. She will continue getting me to trails, damage isn't bad. Airbags didn't even deploy. But coolant reservoir, headlight, bumper, hood, quarter panels will all be replaced.

I had 2 options. An Uber SUV to get me and my bike back into LA for $70, or a 33mi road ride on the squish bike for free99. The Tow truck driver said he would give me a ride to their yard in Castaic. I thought about going to Tapia with him. But said the next freeway exit will be as far as I'm going.
    20180401_122047_zpsquhurvlk.jpg

I got my bike off my car, and my belongings out that I needed in the coming days. Stuffed my pack to the max. So much that I misplanned. I put on my cycling shoes and had no space in my pack for my sneakers. I left them in the grass next to Denny's someone will get those Pumas and put them to good use I'm sure.:thumbsup:

So from Sylmar to my house was 33mi. I haven't ridden my road bike besides errands in the city or commuting to bars in 2 years. Road biking is so ridiculously easy. 33mi and I didnt even get out of breath. Saw some cool stuff on the way home too.

20180401_131701_zpsiohukxz0.jpg
    Like this guy who got loose in his classic Firebird and hit the electrical box of a bodega.

20180401_132830_zpsiccr0jv6.jpg
    Private airfield for prop planes. Talk about an expensive hobby...

:rolleyes:I might have poached the horse trails around Griffith park :whistling: I was so tired of riding on asphalt, I just had to ride SOME dirt. I had no clue on the other side of the freeway from the LA River bike path there were dirt trails right along the park. Greedy equestrians need to share better :D
    20180401_145009_zps46bg1rqv.jpg

Ok if you are still with me here is the best part. In K-Town going down Wilsher a guy on a Haibike whizzes past me on full throttle not one pedal stroke. I drop into a bigger gear and start spinning harder. I may be 25mi into the ride but it's on flat asphalt so I'm just warmed up not tired at all. FINALLY some excitement. At the red light he chuckles and says "want to race up hill?" I replied "At least I earn mine" Low and behold 2 blocks later its a punchy short hill for the block. He moved onto the sidewalk on his Moto, because of course he is a pompous asshat. I'm still on the road free of pedestrians so I drop him up the hill. I yell out "Looks like a big waste of money to me." I sprint through a yellow light as I crest the hill. I know he ran the red, and I hurt his ego because he caught me full throttle and pedaling the next block. This fool passes me and tries to pass a car in front of us making a right on a green light. He nearly got flattened :eek: I roll by him again and say, "It's important to learn bike handling skills before going fast.":D I drop down to my big gear and drop him again, and he stopped trying to keep up with a real cyclist. :p

Screenshot_20180401-162435_zpszlfzz5hl.jpg

bvader, konakc, Cornholio and 21 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This may be the best ride report I've ever read.

Glad nobody was hurt. Way to make some lemonade out of life's lemons, and to make someone else eat a ton of smug!

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Exactly the words I was gonna post!

Way to make the best of the situation(s). :thumbsup:

4. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Yeah glad there were no injuries, just some inconveniences to come.

Mikie, Cornholio, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The repairs and inconvenience will suck... We're just glad you were able to ride away from the crash. Smoking the e-bike is just gravy for the story you'll have down the road. :thumbsup:

Mikie, MrGreedom, Cornholio and 6 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Absolutely most outstandingly well played Ryan! :thumbsup:

Sorry about the car though.

Mikie, MrGreedom, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A wrecked WRX is the worst kind!!! Sorry you have to deal with that, but great RR!!!!

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Thanks for the laugh!

Mikie, MrGreedom and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Great RR. We mtbk to have adventures. it sounds like you had an adventure today... awesome way to get home...

Mikie, MrGreedom and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Class act Brothah...class act...
    As soon as I was done with the read, I thought, "This is a great Ride Report!"
    But I see the fellers already beat me to it.
    Well done.

Ps... I ride Palmdale all the time. Lemme know! :)

MrGreedom, Luis, herzalot and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?