New to Temecula. What MTB clubs are there around?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek K, Aug 29, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derek K

Derek K Newbie

Name:
    Derek Kelleher
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    Hi all,
    We have just moved to Temecula and would like to get involved with the local bike clubs.
    My son is 11 and is new to cycling. Is there any clubs that he can join?
    Any input or leads are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Derek

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Look into NICA through school. There is probably at least a composite team in your area for kids.
    Great program for kids.

Mikie likes this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I think these guys would be the closest http://www.ivmtb.org/. If not, sdmba.com in San Diego would be next. If you join IMBA it should tell you which chapter is closest based on your address.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey welcome to imtbtrails.
    I know we have members out the Temecula way as well. They may chime in here.
    Awesome that your 11 yr old is on the bike. Best Father/Son program around!
    Way to go Dad!

Mikie
    imtbtrails

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Temecula resident Aaron Gwin appreciates Young Talent, so maybe...

But seriously, welcome to IMTB. I have a niece and nephew in Murrieta who race on their high school team, so I know there is a healthy community of teenage riders in the area. Follow the advice in the posts above.

Mikie likes this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Welcome, @Derek K :thumbsup:

IMTBTrails is a bike club. We don't have a kid division. Yet. :cool: But lots of us ride with 13-14 YOs as normal partners. Your kid will be crushing hard by then and time will fly. Ask @Grego, @Cyclotourist, @Voodoo Tom and the other shredderdads here how they do/did it. I'm gonna guess they just ride/rode with their kids. Cheers!

Mikie likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hello and welcome! I'm on the other side of the Santa Anas, but have ridden the Temecula endurance races quite a few times at Vail Lake. I'm always pleasantly amazed by the number of kids out there...

Mikie likes this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hi Derek, Temecula Valley and Great Oak both have deep mountain bike teams. I'm sure they extend to middle school as a feeder program, but not 100% sure. They both have Facebook pages up, and should be very approachable. Presuming your son is in sixth grade, that's when the official team/club membership happens. On my local team there are younger kids as well, but they just do practice and not the races.

FWIW, NICA/SoCalDirt is the most amazing thing I've ever experienced! No drama, no egos, just great kids and families out there riding bikes fast! Hope you can get involved!

9. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    The Meadow View Mountain Goats are down there. Also JAX Bikes in Murrieta is a great resource. Good luck!

10. Derek K

Derek K Newbie

Name:
    Derek Kelleher
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    Thanks Mike
    Mike and All,
    Thank you.
    He is has just started 5th grade, so still in elementary. I will reach out to the Middle school and see if they could allow him to cycle with them.
    I am assuming that the composite team might be the option? Not sure how exactly they are made up but I guess I will find out soon.

Regards and thanks,
    Looking forward to see ye all on the trails.
    Getting my wheels changed to tubeless. Riding is different on the east coast.

Faust29 likes this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Whether it's composite or attached to one of the high schools, they should be accommodating. At least in my experience.

West Coast style:
    4916680077_e5ceee8809_b.jpg

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The tubeless conversion is pretty easy if you want to do it yourself. Assuming the wheel/tire combo is good to go, it only takes a few minutes and a few supplies. And I have done it successfully several times with no mechanical ability. :oops: My only deviation from @Mikie 's method id I don't double wrap. I think it gets too thick.
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/so-i-wanna-go-tubeless-but-i-dont-know-how.3066/#post-26107

The "Bike for Bender" organization, which Jason Ranoa is also involved with, is awesome! They host several rides throughout the year which raise money for the local youth mountain biking scene. That's one charity I don't mind giving to every time. It's always a pleasure to see the kids of all levels out there. Hell Ride is coming up in October, and the Pioneertown 50 usually takes place late spring. One downhillers delight and one cross country suffer fest... All for the kids.

Sidewalk likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?