New Santa Cruz Chameleon spotted in the wild!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnbikej, Mar 8, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news/article/santa-cruz-chameleon-first-look-275-49324/

Santa Cruz Chameleon details
    • Compatible with 27.5+ and 29er wheels and tires
    • Offered in sizes S,M, L and XL
    • Rocker dropouts for geared or singlespeed use
    • Boost axle spacing
    • Pricing starts at $1,599 (UK and Australian pricing TBC)
    • Available now
    The Chameleon was already the trail hardtail in the Santa Cruz family, with a slack head angle and short chainstays. The previous iteration was based around traditionally-sized 27.5in wheels.

santa-cruz-chameleon-angle-1488843710419-8drv4zyqv122-630-354.jpg
    The 67.6-67.3 degree head tube angle (depending on wheelsize) is refreshingly slack

The new bike is a true changeling, offering riders the option to run 27.5+ or standard 29in wheels and tires.

What’s more, the frame uses a 148x12mm thru-axle version of the rockered dropouts the company uses for singlespeed builds.

santa-cruz-chameleon-dropouts-1488843710432-a0qsnacr2r6o-630-354.jpg
    The Chameleon comes with rocker dropouts that allow it to be set up as a singlespeed

This gives Chameleon owners the option to switch from geared to singlespeed use and to increase or decrease the chainstay length to suit their riding styles.

The chainstay length is adjustable between 415 and 430mm.

santa-cruz-chameleon-yoke-1488843710453-sfhl0p9ec3r3-630-354.jpg
    A yoke provides plenty of tire clearance

In keeping with its trail-oriented nature, the Chameleon comes spec’d with a 120mm suspension fork. It has a 67.6-degree head tube angle as a 27.5+ bike which slackens to 67.3-degrees in 29er guise.

Edit: This minor head tube angle change is a result of the four different modular dropout options for this new bike.Like the chip system Santa Cruz uses on the Tallboy and Hightower, these interchangeable dropouts are intended to preserve the geometry as much as possible between wheel sizes. There are geared 148x12mm versions for 27.5 and 29in wheels and singlespeed versions for 27.5 and 29in wheels in the 142x12mm axle spacing.

santa-cruz-chameleon-routing-1488843710446-1sg867vprs9fy-630-354.jpg
    There's a port on the downtube as well as the seat tube for an internally-routed dropper seatpost

The builds released thus far use 1x groups with SRAM NX drivetrains, although the frame has a low-direct mount for front derailleur compatibility.

santa-cruz-chameleon-crankset-1488843710429-1vpsbiphr6s85-630-354.jpg
    The Chameleon can accept a low-direct mount front derailleur

Other frame features include internal routing for a dropper seatpost and dual water bottle mounts on the top and bottom of the downtube.

Look for more details as we get them.

Rumor also has it that since they have 148x12 Boost SS dropouts, that they also have 142x12 SS dropouts in the mix. Please be true. Please be compatible with Highball 2.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Very versatile bike. :thumbsup:

But what jumped out of the picture at me were those butt-ugly welds on the "yoke."

Putting the weld there is not a confidence builder as to the ability to take a big hit on the rear wheel and survive. But I'm no engineer.

Faust29, mike and Danmtchl like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU.

Versitility indeed! With trail lineage. If I ponied up for a second bike it would be something like that. Or that.

4. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I was hoping for a Highball 27.5 Aluminium version. I didn't really like my 26plus wheels on the Instigator, didn't really see a need for that big of a tire.

mike, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Looks like J has found his next bike frame?

mike, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Nope....still not a fan of the 27.5+ or 29 frame.....pick one and stick with it. I don't need all that tire clearance for a 29 x 2.3

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That begs the question... What isn't the Kona doing for you? I can't get the idea of a second, more aggressive, hardtail out of my head, and the Explosif is one that keeps catching my eye. Of course, I also like the looks of the Honzo, ROS9, Stache, Timberjack, GT Pantera, etc...

I'm pretty sold on the Highball, and the only thing I would like to see upgraded are the dropouts for the single speed. This Chameleon would probably jump to the top of my 2nd bike list, most likely as a 29er.

As far as 27.5+ or 29... I bought a set of cheap Velocity Blunt wheels and a set of Trailblazer 2.8s before the + craze really took off, and experimented with them on the Salsa el Mariachi I had at the time. I absolutely loved them going downhill. They are a game changer. Getting them to the top of the hill, however, was another story. I can't imagine riding a 50 miler or greater with that setup...

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The only thing I wished the Highball had was some more tire clearance at the BB. The Chameleon's yoke creates that space but it looks kind of funky in the pics.

Runs with Scissors, mike and Faust29 like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That was my issue when they revised the HB with shorter chainstays....in SS form tire clearance is tight. The brace behind the BB kinda seems like an afterthought.

However on the Chameleon it looks like it might be flexy?

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    The originL Chameleons had the ability to run up to 160mm fork....looks like the new one tops out at 120mm. Seems kinda short given that others are Spec'd with 140mm forks.

11. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Kona is working out good and I have no complaints but... I would like to lighten things up some in the future.

mike and Faust29 like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Isn't their usual M.O. to spec the bike under the absolute max recommended fork? If it comes with a 120, maybe the supported ceiling is higher.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Maybe.....but the HB is maxed at 120mm, and that is how it comes spec'd.

Faust29 and mike like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That's why it was called the Chameleon. It could change from a XC racer to a SS to a Dual Slalom rig to a trials rig to a DH hardtail.

Faust29 and mike like this.
  15. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Roam Cyclery in HB ( actually Westminster) has one on display.

16. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    store coordinates please

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    bvader and Faust29 like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Now that I look at the pictures a little closer, I don't think this would be an option for me.

Hopefully it is just because it is a smaller frame, but having the bottle cage in the underside of the down tube is useless. I'm glad you can run 2 bottles, but the underside cage has a tendency to jettison bottles when the going gets rough.

19. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Or become the literal Sh!t collector.

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    At least you can use one of those front chain mover things if you want...but they are too complicated-at least that's what the media tells me.

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Runs with Scissors likes this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And room for a 29 x 3.0 tire. Holy moly. I might never run that big, but I'd sure like the ability to try!

Something like this would replace the old FS hanging on the wall quite nicely...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I take back what I said about the color. She looks really badass with this setup...

chameleon.jpg

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yep, looks purty. But the inability to run two bottles inside the triangle is a deal-breaker for me.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That would be for me, as well, if I were thinking of it as the one and only. I'm thinking more as bike #2, which would be set up more aggressively than bike #1. Gears, fatter tires, slacker, bigger fork... Perfect for the 20-30 mile group ride. Not perfect for the 50-100 mile death march.

27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Just wear a pack, what's the big deal...?

Cyclotourist likes this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I don't LIKE wearing a pack... :cool:

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    HBkites likes this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-santa-cruz-chameleon/

"I've owned and ridden a huge variety of hardtails from carbon XC race machines to the 7lbs+ painted frame of my steel Honzo. There's lots of aluminum on my resume. What can I say after a couple of rides? The Chameleon is full of surprises.

Whether hammering on the 780mm bar out of the saddle or dropping into something steep while hard on the Hope E4 brakes, the compact front triangle is stiff and confidence inspiring. On the other hand, the rear end is surprisingly forgiving for a bike with short stays in general and an aluminum bike in particular. I attribute this to the lack of a seatstay brace or massive chainstay-BB yoke.

Repeat claims about carbon's 'vibration damping' or shout 'STEEL IS REAL!' enough times and it will seem to be true. The fact is that material is just one part of the design process. The 2017 Chameleon isn't a Banshee Morphine, or even a past example of the Chameleon, and combined with 29er or 27+ wheels it does a disservice to the bike to envision previous aluminum hardtail experiences when imagining how the Santa Cruz rides.

There is a bit of movement in the back end when hammering out of the saddle. That's not me calling the Chameleon "Flexy". Any time I read about how 'efficient' a hardtail is my back starts to ache and I'm also not saying I feel like I'm losing any power on the trail.

It's a nice sensation. The closest bike I'd relate it to personally is Kona's Ti Explosif. It isn't flexy - front or rear - but it dances through rough terrain a lot more pleasantly than most short-stay rigid frames. All that for a weight that's a couple pounds lighter than steel bikes with comparable geometry and pricing. "

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?