Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Dec 27, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Soooo, maybe the reason that the site has 1000 members and only 20 people who post frequently is that most of you do not use the "New Posts" feature. If you don't, you are relegated to searching the forums you think you like. Try using "New Posts" whether on your home computer or a portable device. You will find nuggets in forums you would never choose to click on ("I 'road' my bike today" for me, "Gravity Junkies" for others).

On your home computers, you can do one better. When you are in "New Posts" you can click on "Recent Posts" so you can quickly find the "hotties" thread - or, ummm, so I've heard... :oops: Or the ever popular "I rode my bike today" thread.

:thumbsup:

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's the only one I use.
    20161227_203207.png

PATKOUG, mtnbikej, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good info... It's how I normally browse, and it was invaluable for catching up when I was in NY and missed days at a time. :thumbsup:

Yeah... I like to read just about every post. The exception is that derailed thread. I can do without that one. :Roflmao

Cyclotourist, UPSed, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I'm a little confused (pretty common:bang: ) There are times I post something new and it is in the recent section?!?!? Does it happen to you, please splain it to me por favor!!

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Any new posts make the corresponding forum bold. At least it does on my phone and home confuser. :whistling:

So I'm not sure how "New Posts" is inherently better.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    And that would make sense. When you post anything it will immediately go to recent, as it is recent for you alone. For everyone else it's a new post until they open it. Once open, it becomes a recent post. New, means new to you.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It is the only way i search the threads.

Unless....I am looking for a specific post/thread/RR.

At this point, I am caught up enough that my "new posts" screen only shows 5 threads dating back to 12/20.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    One step less AND you may be more inclined to open it if you see the thread title rather than the forum category.

I'm just trying to encourage more reading and responding. You are a top 20 poster, so this thread isn't really aimed at you. :thumbsup:

9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    In terms of time, recent is recent. This post here is recent for everybody right?

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Recent once a person opens it. Think of recent as "recently opened".

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  11. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
  12. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    This site kicks a@@.

13. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Man, you can't make this s**t up. Lol

14. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Of all the possible reasons for the low percentage of frequent posters on this site, I don't believe the lack of use of the "New Posts" feature or the members' inability to find new posts on their own is a major one. I'm almost certainly the most technologically-challenged:geek:person on this site and I can easily find new posts in many ways. Mainly, I notice the bold lettering on a forum that I actually do like, click on it and read the new thread titles. If one looks interesting to me I hover over it and read the first few lines and if it continues to interest me, I'll open it and read the whole thing. If I'm inspired or motivated to respond or contribute to the discussion then I do. If the thread is just the same-old, same-old, I move on.

The key is make it interesting. As in any mode of the written word, it has to be interesting and relevant to the potential readers for them to read and respond. Not all threads will be so for many people especially when a thread becomes repetitive and monotonous. I think the best threads on any mtb site are ride invites and ride reports. I have not checked it out, but it seems to me that there are fewer ride invites in Trailhead and a corresponding drop in ride reports in recent months. That's why one of my New Year's resolutions is to post more invites for rides up here in the Great Northern L.A. County Territory and for slow, old guys like me who struggled to make 1,000 miles this year. If more ride invites with a greater variety of rides for people with more diverse riding interests were offered, I believe there would be more participation in the site and more members.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My point was suggesting that a member who is only an occasional visitor might enjoy the content in a forum he/she wouldn't normally choose to view.

There are 1000 members, but only 20 post regularly. Maybe @Maddog is right that the other 980 members just don't find the ride reports or ride invites appealing to them, or maybe they don't enjoy the banter, photos, videos or epic poems, music or food one finds woven into the various threads. My hunch (based on the habits of a few infrequent posters I've talked to) was that many of those 980 barely scratch the surface by limiting their viewing.

I think it's interesting that @Maddog mentions a need for a wider variety of rides for people with more diverse riding interests. Not sure how that's even possible. IMTBers are not only standard-fare mtb-ers but many are also roadies, beach cruisers, commuters, bikepackers, climbers, descenders, adventurers, stay-at-homers, fat-bikers, bike park riders, racers, non-racers and virtually all forms of dirt bicycling except maybe slopestyle dirt jumpers. Rides cover the whole range of mtb territory in So Cal with frequent forays into Arizona, Utah, Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. If the "lurker" members would chime in, the variety would only increase.

Oh well. 'Scuse me for suggesting a different approach to viewing. Carry on.

16. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Now don't get down on yourself Herz:)! You have inspired thought and increased discussion. I just happen to totally disagree with your premise. I believe that 99.999% of all 1000 members can find any new post they choose to peruse! We know what we like and we check out what we like. Most don't and may never choose to spend time browsing through forums that don't interest them. For me, I will most likely never open the Racing, Gravity Junkies, Bikepacking and a couple other forums because I don't anticipate ever engaging in those varieties of mountain biking. We may miss out on something you find appealing but not everyone likes the same flavor of ice cream so no sense feeling disappointed when there's not as much action on the site that you would like to see.

I think you misunderstood my assertion about ride invites and reports. These are the most appealing threads to that same 99.999% of members IMHO. That's the whole point about mountain bikes-to ride them:thumbsup:! Strengthen those threads and the site will see more posts. I suggested more ride invites for people with more diverse riding interests. Here's what I mean by that and I hope to not be overly blunt but I will be honest. The site needs more rides offered in the 10-20 mile range rather than the 30-50 mile range and at a slower pace. While high milage rides are great, I think many of the members do not find them appealing for various reasons. How can that happen? Those of us who prefer lower milage rides should post more up without feeling ashamed or that nobody would want to go on a "short" ride. I've already stated that I plan to do more ride invites with less miles and a slower pace and I'll keep them coming without becoming discouraged by a lack of response as I have in the past. If we average Joe :cool: riders come out for each others' rides and post up our own invites, more members will use, contribute and feel a part of imtbtrails! And Herz, you'll be happier with more people chiming in:)!

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't post my countless short rides because a.) They are usually last minute and B.) I don't want to encourage large group rides in busy County parks on weekend mornings. You are correct, most rides posted in Trailhead are beyond my time and leg commitment, and well beyond the silent majority, I would guess. Seems there are only about ten people who post rides in Trailhead, and they are all beasts.

18. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I concur. Not all rides are posted for various reasons. scan and I are heading for Vegas tomorrow and neither of us posted anything up although road trips are a bit different since you have to go with people who don't mind all the gaseous emissions and other disgusting habits:gag:! We only have one county park up here that gets busy on weekends. Of course busy here means about a dozen hikers over 3 miles of trail with about 10 more miles to which they rarely trek.

I would encourage the silent majority to come out of the shadows and post some rides as often as you can. BTW, for those of you who like football, that was some great Rose Bowl! I rarely root for USC but I was today! I may do so next year too since their coach isn't an alcoholic or a spoiled brat! And they have a great, likable QB!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?