New Guy

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Stkx66, Nov 8, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Hi, after friends invited me to ride mtn bikes in Lake Havasu this past summer I went out and bought a real mtn bike, used, 2014 Santa Cruz Bronson C. I’ve been enjoying this new activity ever since averaging 25 miles a week. I had a cheap bike before and when I showed up with it in Havasu my friends wouldn’t let me ride it. Unsafe I guess. That day they loaned me a Scott’s hard tail with 3.0 tires. I’ve been riding Carbon Canyon and New Port Beach areas.

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Off to a good start, Steve!

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Steve Boudreaux !
    Way to go bud!
    Welcome to imtbtrails. Well you came to the right place, a very diverse group of members here all over So Cal.

Like we always say... Ride Lots and Post Lots!
    Hope to see you on the trails!

Mikie of Frazier Park

4. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    We don't even get to play the A.V.A.T.A.R. game with him!!!

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's pretty cool that your friends made you switch bikes... I may have taken the "Go ahead, you'll be fine..." approach. :whistling:

Seriously, though... Glad you found your way here.

I'm in RSM and ride a lot in the Santa Anas. We post up groups rides pretty often... Some mellow, some death marches. Feel free to jump in when you want to get outside your location stuff and see some new things. :thumbsup:

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Welcome aboard. Ride lots and write lots about riding lots.

Check out the "Ride Reports" section. Lots of good info there.

herzalot, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Welcome, SB. You have some decent friends! And a cool bike (I had one for years, loved it). Wride land rite lots...we appreciate all manner of dirt-born pedal bikes and the wacky places people take them. Cheers! :thumbsup::geek:

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    Welcome Steve!

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Welcome. And, post up when and where you gonna ride or if you’re looking for a ride.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  10. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Welcome.

Some fun trails in havasu. I have been out there riding a few times and did a 6 hour race once.

Mikie likes this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Welcome!!! :thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Welcome from another Steve!!
    Steves = Steves + 2

Old&InTheWay, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  13. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Thank you all. I have questions about upgrading my bike ( hubs and rims ) for the appropriate thread locations in this forum. My last ride was 20.6 miles at Carbon Canyon. I’m looking for 25 miles as a goal. I see some guys doing 50 miles. Man I don’t know how... elevation and all. Youngsters must be- Regardless I really enjoy this new activity.

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If you're doing 20 miles after just jumping into it, I think you'll do just fine...

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Like anything else - the more consistently you do it, the more you want to. Or as some bike riding dude once said: "It never gets easier. You just go faster." :thumbsup:

16. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Well No.. my first ride ( by myself ) was from Carbon Canyon to 4 corners and back. On Strava I named my ride Rocky Balboa because I thought this was a huge achievement. Now it’s a non starter. I’m not a black diamond type guy at this age either. I rode the Luge recently out of Cooks corner. 6 miles of uphill with 1 Mile decent. I got a flat, my first flat btw and had to install a new tube leaning into brush doing so. The upside ? Every rider that came by stopped and offered help. Every rider. Cool peeps. So far I enjoy pushing my own personal limits.

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    New hubs and rims? Lets get you set up tubeless too so that you can say goodbye to flats (for the most part).

Old&InTheWay, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Welcome @Steve Boudreaux! Pleased to have you climb aboard the best little mtb forum west of the Pecos. And we're probably better than those East of the Pecos too. Where the hell is the Pecos?

Ride a lot, write a lot. Mileage is cool, but altitude gained is the coolest factor here! :cool: Me, I abhor climbing, but do it 'cuz it feels good to stop. The climbing HAS to lead to some great DH! :thumbsup: I'm OK with a 45 minute climb to get to a 4-minute quality DH.

Old&InTheWay, bvader, mike and 6 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You'd probably call me one of those "high mileage" guys, but it wasn't too long ago that I couldn't get past the 5-7 mile hurdle, with very little climbing. :oops: Slowly but surely, I went farther and farther... Now I like to see others get out there and push past the comfort zone. :thumbsup:

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Big Ride/Mileage/Elevation pusherman here.

It is all steps. Get comfortable with 20 miles, then push a little bit and get comfortable with 25 miles, rinse and repeat. Setting a goal will make it easier to push through. Just remember, your body can do way more than your mind thinks it can.

bvader, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, @Steve Boudreaux, you may as well go for 50 mi, cuz 25 will fall in, like, two rides from now. Or just count hours, cuz some XX milers will feel like double that. Being able to ride all day is a worthy goal and a great safety feature. Gains will come fast early on, but don't be discouraged when they slow – they will still happen, and you really have no idea what you are capable of. Thrill of the unknown... :sneaky::thumbsup:

RE: "Youngsters," and "at this age"... You better ditch that sh!t post-haste. Age ≠ fitness/skill/sack. :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?