New Dirt This Year? What's your plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knucklebuster, Jun 18, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    One of my goals this year was to get on some new dirt. Due to life circumstances, have been on a limited travel time budget, so nothing way out there but managed a few. Hoping to get a little farther the second half of the year. What's your story? :D

My new dirt 2015 so far:
    Santa Ana Mountains: Lower Bell Ridge and Ding Dong, Skinsuit, Yeager Mesa
    Riverside: Sycamore Canyon, Ramona/Thomas mountain (not brand new, but a long time)

Plans/hopes for rest of the year:
    Skyline in Big Bear
    San Gabes (have done the Merrils before, but know there's lots more)
    Idylwild
    GE? or something in the great white north up by Mikie
    Coldwater and smashface (maybe) in the Santa Anas
    Big Island Hawaii-vacation in august, hoping for a couple
    ???

Mikie likes this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Since I'm not into bombing downhill and breaking bones/paralyzing myself, I'm thinking more along the lines of up Harding, down Skyline, up Indian TT, down Maple Springs/Silverado, back to point of origin. That, to me, would be a blast.

Mikie likes this.
  3. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Sedona at the end of September. Hiked and explored there, but never on two wheels.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a couple in common with you guys... I've never done Coldwater, and I've never ridden in Big Bear. The wife and I are talking about a possible summer getaway, though. Maybe for the Terrible 10,000. :)

I also want to get more "big rides" in the Santa Anas... Harding back to Skyline sounds pleasantly brutal. Or maybe a Harding to Trabuco loop... When the weather cools off a little bit.

I've also been thinking about a Trabuco- San Juan- Caspers- loop. I've seen others on Strava who have done it from RSM, and it looks like fun. There isn't as much climbing as you would think, but it's more "remote riding" than anything else.

If I ever get back on the road bike, I also want to ride to San Diego and back for a 150 miler.

Too many rides, too little time!

Mikie likes this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Anytime you are ready to do the San Diego thingy, put it out here. I'm game. I've never ridden through Camp Pendleton, but would love it. I was stationed in San Diego for 5 years, haven't been back there in ages, and the Torrey Pines climb reads like fiction. :(

Mikie likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Interior of British Columbia...

and, of course,

Fully Loop.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Whooooooa! :eek:

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Skyline in Big Bear has been mentioned a couple of times (or Snow Summit). I would like to ride Exploration in Running Springs, which isn't too far from BB. I have access to a four bedroom, two bath cabin at Big Bear that could actually sleep 8 with relative ease. You wouldn't even need to drive to access Skyline, because the cabin is not too far from the Pineknot Trailhead. Soooooooo, I'm thinkin' - hey, let's get some relative strangers together in a cabin in Big Bear. What could go wrong? (cue banjo music)

Here's a photo from the last time I hosted a sausage fest up there... I think they were breeding.

Note the wood triangle - yes, the cabin has a pool table.

4 Yetis.JPG

Old&InTheWay, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Sorry dude....the Loop is way too lippy for you. And there are no go-rounds like Summit. :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  10. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    We'll be at our place in Arrowhead weekend after this (tentatively), so I'd be in for a ride up there sat/sun, 27th/28th.

Also want to explore the possibility of a Big Bear to SART to Angelus Oaks via dirt (that would be a shuttle for me)

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I hear the roadies talk about the Torrey Pines climb quite a bit, but it doesn't look that bad on the elevation map. I think some of the roadies just like to bitch and moan.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have never been to the Floop... Unbelievably, I forgot to include that on my list. ;)

Mikie likes this.
  13. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I would be down for that. less the banjo music. as long as we have some good ipa ;)

After watching Mikie's Bear Creek video I'm gonna have to say another trip up there that includes Bear Creek! that would be some new dirt for me

Mikie likes this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Probably no big trips for me this year (last year I managed Mid-Mountain in park City, Utah, the Tahoe Meadows-TRT-Flume shuttle ride, Annadel and Tamarancho in NorCal). I might be able to hit some Fort Ord or Santa Cruz stuff on one of my work trips up north - Soquel Demo Forest sounds like fun. Big Bear, both for Snow Summit and Skyline, is definitely on the list and easily doable. I would happily join in for such a trip, lodging available or not.

I've been wanting to do a bikes and beer trip to Bend, Ore., for a while, but I don't think I'm going to be able to fit that one in this year.

Mikie likes this.
  15. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    I love new Dirt! It's one of the great things about riding IMO......haven't ridden much in OC and Santa Ana ' s and have been dying to ride San Juan. Also lookin to ride Big Bear at some point this summer. The family and I are takin a trip up to BC, Whistler, the fist week of July and I will ride at least one day, one of the local Cross Country trails! Can't wait!.... [emoji92] [emoji93] [emoji94]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mikie likes this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, the Pic-O-Yetis puts me over the top. I'm in for this... How about post smoke screen . . . :eek:

17. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I have been lucky this year so far.
    I'm just finishing up a work trip that I brought my bike with me.
    Got to hit dirt in Flagstaff Az, Colorado Springs CO now I'm in Las Vegas area.
    I have a trip set up for next month going through St George UT, Salt lake city UT, and Black Hills SD.
    Also got a Scottsdale and Sedona AZ trip planned for November so stoked.
    My goal is to ride in 10 different states this year
    Would love to get up to Bend, OR

Mikie likes this.
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    The white Yeti is particularly sexy!

I'm up for Big Bear. Haven't ridden skyline since it was still loose new dirt.

And Santa Cruz. I so want to go back and spend a day or two riding. Been thinking about it the last couple weeks too! but that was before I booked....

...a trip to Maui in July. Will have a few days to do whatever I want as it is just me! Anyone know about Mtbing there? Must be some trails where I wont end up in a locals weed patch getting shot. But then, I'd probably be happy sleeping, snorkeling, bikini watching. :D :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  19. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Awesome, Sounds like a nice "job", and you get paid to do this? any openings? :)

Mikie likes this.
  20. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I remind my self ever day how lucky that I am to be allowed to do what i enjoy and get payed doing it.

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Definitely NOT a destination trail, but if you're ever, even inadvertently, in North OC, give me a yell. I'll take you on the secret extra credit FLoop Tour. :cool:

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Those both sound really fun. :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  23. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Also keen on BB, never been on Skyline.

Will be in Maui next week. I rode off the backside of the Volcano ( Skyline also...) a few years back. They have some new trails I may try to hit one day while there.
    Supposed to be some Iron Man trails I'd like to find also.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.westmauicycles.com/maui-mountain-bike-trails/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.westmauicycles.com/maui-moun ... ke-trails/</a>

Been getting some roadie miles in to prep for Maui road rides. Would like to ride up Haleakala , but prolly wont happen.

Mikie likes this.
  24. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I am old so change diet more exercise so I get off this high blood pressure that is sucking the life out of my motivation to ride.

Dean

25. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Sounds like you need one of those electric assist E-bikes. ;)

Mikie likes this.
  26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks for the info. I saw a video on PeteFagerlin.com a long time ago of the descent by Mtb on Haleakala, and now I know!
    Here is a fun video of the ride. Going to check the local bike shop and see about a rental/ride/guide, or such. I'm not going to do the beach cruiser ride down the mountain.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://petefagerlin.com/maui.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://petefagerlin.com/maui.htm</a>

Check the Cam-Corder strapped to his helmet...from the days before GoPro.
    This site has some good videos, even if they are older.

Mikie likes this.
  27. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Dean, sincerely hope you make progress quickly on the HBP front. I've had some bouts with HBP and the biking for me does more to knock it down than anything (reasonable diet too), but as you say, must feel ok to have the motivation to get out biking, so a tough balance. Best luck to you.

Mikie likes this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I bagged Gooseberry this year . . . finally! Thanks to Maddog.

I'm going to hit The Rainbow Trail on the North side of the Grand Canyon still this year with Mrs. Watson.
    Believe it or not I have yet to ride Tahoe. :shock: Pretty confident this is a felony in most states...

29. I'm not sure I'll get any more new dirt this year, but, I did get a day at Whistler. I did a few hours in the valley and three runs in the bike park. Two were on green and one was on green and a bit of blue. I did get to ride an easy stretch of A-Line!

I've been to SS and hope to get back there. I ride mostly Skyline, but will ride Trutle if I can find a safe/easy way to get there.

I hope to ride Balm Boyette in Floride while visiting my kid for Thanksgiving. It is my favorite.

Mikie likes this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I got to ride Lizard Trail for the first time :roll:

Experienced new dirt out at the Pioneertown 50....apparently the fire is now burning out there, glad I got to check it out.

Zen Trail in St. George while there a few months back. Short, techy and oh, so sweet.

Not sure I have anymore trips planned for this year, so new dirt will have to be trails locally that for whatever reason I still have not ridden.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?