Never had this happen before (Aliso RR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 28, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Bruinbiker and I attempted to beat the raindrops for local romp through Aliso this morning. We started down at the main entrance. Typical run - Coyote, up Cholla, Rock-It, Coyote, up Mathis to ToW over to Meadows then... Oh crap...

So while we were riding the north end of the park without a drop, the south end got blitzed by a downpour of biblical proportions. We headed down Meadows and couldn't make it past the first turn - bikes locked up with mud. We had to push back up, take a stick to the bikes for cleaning, then backtrack our route through the Alta Laguna neighborhood back to ToW and down.

Well, since we were now running short on time we decided to do Car Wreck - something Todd has done maybe once and I haven't done for over a year. On the first feature, an attention getting roll down, the nose of my saddle became one with my belt strap of my back pack. Kinda hard to ride, trapped in that position, so I tipped over after cleaning the little drop. Of course, I had to go back up, tighten the belt, and clean it properly, but the psychological damage was done. The trail seemed tougher than I remember it and I just stunk up the run, basically tripod-ing and walking the last bit. Utter humiliation. :oops:

Good news is, it didn't rain much today and if it holds off, I may be able to redeem myself tomorrow. And, as I type this, the drizzle starts. :(

Side note - there were a ton of the Ibis HD3 in the powder blue/red/black configuration out there today. Most were demos from BikeCo, but at least one was a new steed for some guy with 8 or 9000 less dollars.

UPSed likes this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    We all have off days, least you rode :D , and that is to much coin for a damn bike I think.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Herz,
    I've had those days (several actually).

"So Bad" that I could barely find the pedals, figure my equilibrium had faded
    couldn't stay on the trail ...up, or down.
    hit every trail feature in the trail
    scraped every rock with my shin
    couldn't clean even the easy stuff

"Swore!" Yes, I said it...Swore! EVERYONE had an anti-gravity belt on the climbs, except me...

You're still one of my heeero's and you are still a "Legend in our own mind!" :lol:

Edit: Heck I'm having trouble even getting this post out!!!!

4. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "Ohh...honey, it's OK, it happens to everyone.... I still love you...." :oops:

The point of the RR was more about having to turn back because of the conditions of Meadows, especially when we didn't get one drop of rain on us. (first number one) :wtf:

AND about getting my saddle caught in my hydro-pak belt (first number two). :?

But alas, the rain will win for today, and redemption will have to wait. :thumbdown:

5. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    At least you got out!
    Same happened to us yesterday,
    We tried to do Luge, but just as going down satiago canyon it was drizzling, hit madjeska and rain, get to STT and downpour.
    Turned around about half way up to Luge as it was getting quite slick, I recalled the camel snot conditions last time we did this in the rain. Of course, as happens as soon as I got home not a drop the rest of the day, until last night. But dang I froze my head off on the descent!!

And 9k for a bike! Good for them.
    I'd never pay that, I only buy the low end stuff like everyone else here...... :?

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I don't know what you all are complaining about. I was out in the Oaks for 4.5 hours yesterday riding in perfectly dry conditions. ;) :lol:

7. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Maybe a little boasting, no complaining here, looks like if I can push myself outta here it's HD time. :D

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'd probably pay for some video of the strap incident.

Actually, I'm just jealous... I sat in a cold wet windy high school stadium for 5 hours yesterday. And then I listened to the rain most of the night. I'm about desperate enough to set the trainer up in the garage.

9. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It was a slow tipover, so not very exciting to watch. Todd said it was "my third SPD" meaning it was like not getting unclipped at a stop sign. Picture getting back behind your seat to go down a steep roll, and when you get to the flat, you have to stay in that position. A leeetle hard to balance or pedal. Yes my seat was lowered (thanks KS-LEV).

As for the wet/cold HS stadium, were you by chance watching a HS soccer match?

10. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Member

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad

haha makes me think of this
    0mo-6mo of riding - budget will never be more than $1,000
    6mo.-1yr - well... $2,500 isn't that much more
    1yr-4yrs - riding that $2,500 is enough to hold you over
    4yrs - Well... my income has increased and well my bike budget should too being that this isn't really a "fling". $5,000 isn't all that bad considering I take that much depreciation on a car and that's not nearly as fun and healthy as my bike.
    6yr - Hmm... How could I not pay $7k+? ... My car has decreased way more than that and makes me unhealthier... From the years of riding, even my starbucks purchases and wasteful food purchases equates to more than this during my riding career. That XTR, XX1 stuff looks like it may definitely worth it in the long run especially with resell value therefore lessening the depreciation as it will offer a 1-4 year rider with PLENTY of bike!

11. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    In terms of mountain biking, I'm in stage 3!

And, I've never looked at the Titanium version of my Salsa... At least that's what I tell the wife. :D

12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nope... Baseball in Long Beach.

13. dstepper

dstepper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Mud takes all the fun out of riding for me. I have rode the San Gabs many days in the rain but there is no mud out there. Local rides when it rains I find the quickest way to pavement. When riding in the mud all I can hear is the grit wearing away my drive trail. I have a mud bike with a Alfine internal gears that is my bike packing mud bike that I use when there is no rain bailouts.

Dean

14. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    What'd you do, loose some baby belly fat to have the strap so loose :p

Just givin ya a zing on a boring rainy day. ;) I once had a foot come off the pedal on the lower chunky part of TnA and my third spd (belly on the seat) saved me somehow and allowed me to ride it out, but I was able to "unclip" after. The groinal area was not too happy though, and I still have anxiety on that section of TnA... I don't think there is a point to this story, maybe 2 SPDs are better than three, or one (shrug)

15. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I still have never cleaned the upper section of T and A. It's not the hardest section of trail I've ever ridden, but I seem to make bad line choices resulting in tripod-ing or falling. You witnessed one such adventure, and last week, I fell there again (nothing impressive).

And yes, I think I will either need to cinch up my pack belt or unclip it for anything more difficult than Rock-It. I would love to ride without a pack, but water bottles get filthy and I don't like seat bags or going without tools and supplies. I notice some of the more hardcore Laguna riders are ditching the backpacks and tying tubes to their frames and stuffing items into the back pockets of jerseys. Sounds like what we did when we first started mt. biking.

Random thoughts on a rainy day.

Alpinestars.jpg

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  16. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Great pic of you back in the olden days! Not sure if the fashion police approve :p

And yes, TnA is hard to pick a line on when your basically sliding around on marbles... at least it was that way my last trip there, but maybe this torrential rain we got will make it more sticky :roll:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  17. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    So I'm not the only one! Going down the luge both feet came unclipped and did the "superman", belly on the seat and legs back, until I could get it stopped. Kind of a Oh S**t moment, but no harm no foul and let me add it to my "coulda been bad" stories.
    Tightened up the spd's after that!

Note to self; word of the day is "tripod-ing".

18. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    T and A wasn't particularly loose or dusty when I rode it last week, just a big center rut with a line on either side. My problem came when I switched from one side of the trail to the other. I don't like cheater lines - so I try not to ride at the extreme edge of the trails no matter what. As we have lamented before, all of our trails have really widened over the past 5-10 years as users push farther and farther into the weeds avoiding the ruts that form in the center. :x

As for the fashion police comment, I believe the helmet is the finest item in that ensemble - a styrofoam ProTec Mirage with helmet cover. I believe I am rocking Performance brand sport glasses, a "PCH" tank top to highlight my manly arms, Shaver lycra shorts with a polypropylene shirt and a light rain jacket tied around my waist. A purple Performance brand jersey is tied to the stem and handlebars and Scott spd shoes adorn my feet, with white socks of course. My bike is sporting a seat bag with tools and a tube, two water bottles and a frame mounted pump on the other side of the white bottle. The picture was taken on the Hermosa trail, Durango, CO. Oh, can't forget the gum wall Smoke/Dart combo tires, the Rock Shox Mag 20 and the Control Stix bar ends on the Alpinestars AlMega DX.

:thumbup:

EDIT: Just noticed the gray half finger gloves, also Performance brand. Oh, and the red water bottle was a handout at a race I had entered at Winter Park - that makes it 1992 for the record.

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    i have to admit, i'm buzzed and laughing out loud right now...
    is it okay if i admit that?

20. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My work here is done (drops the mic and walks off...)

21. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Too much "valuation" thinking! Goes more like this for me. "Wow that bike looks awesome and has all the stuff and geo I think I want. I'll try it on my local trails..." Then if I love it, it's "well I'm not getting any younger, so I might as well get it while I can..." ( sort of YOLO). that's about it. I have to love it when I look at it though!

OK wait, maybe you're right. I won't get it if the "how much better is it than my bike" formula is out of whack. For example, the Ibis HD I demo'd is about 15% better than my bike - climbing fireroads and mild trails. Is that worth the $6000.00 difference? No way in hell.

22. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The Picture Slot Machine struck gold! @herzalot

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.