My legs are on FIRE!

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Feb 14, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Well not really... but they are really fatigued and they give out way before my cardio does.

So I was researching possible causes on the Internet. Best reason I could find is:
    (1) I used to run more than bike. Even now I run every week.
    (2) My cardio was developed over years of running. Running taxes more muscles (in general) than biking.
    (3) Because all of my biking hits a small range of muscles, those muscles are crying for relief before my cardio gives out.

Makes me feel better, in general, to know what was going on. Any time I bike for extended periods, I would tend to hit a wall at about 1 hours of non-stop climbing at hard pace, or perhaps 1.5 hours at moderate pace. Meanwhile at slow pace I can go for hours and hours. Seems like the answer may be in strength training for the legs - and doing high intensity short workouts instead of the long grind fests.

2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Same for me. I've just accepted I am not fast. I have a great fitness base but the long slow grinds don't help much with top end speed and power.

Best riding shape I've ever been in was when I had a singlespeed. There were 3-4 climbs on an after work ride we'd do every week that were each a perfect 2-3 minute sprint.

mtnbikej, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, everything I am reading says I should be doing sprint up hill / rest and full recovery / sprint up hill / rest and full recovery.

mtnbikej, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Training is specific and it's a good idea to train for all the aspects you'll need in the type of riding you like doing. I wouldn't think you'll be doing actual sprints, but mountain biking involves natural intervals.. like going hard to finish a climb or getting through an uphill technical section or racing to make a light on a Whiting loop or other. I think anaerobic or lactate threshold rides are key in improving in mountain biking. And those big rides in the Santa Ana's and elsewhere involve lots of endurance level effort to cover the miles w/o blowing up.

Then you can add in nutrition (before, during and after rides), hydration (before, during and after), rest (including easy rides), recovery (including massage and stretching), etc., not to mention improving of a wide range of technical skills.

If you're serious about getting better, consider it a 7 days a week program because what you do each day matters. Or make a goal such as a week long bike packing trip, and train specifically to get ready for it.

mtnbikej, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Try Greek folk dancing.

mike, scan, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have identified your problem. Too much climbing. :stop:

You're welcome!

HBkites, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    No such thing! Embrace the pain!

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That's funny...a few eeekends ago at the top of Maple Springs we were talking with a couple guys up there. One said he preferred climbing Maple Springs instead of Harding because it didn't have any unneeded climbing....since there is a bit of DH on the way up. The other guys says "there is never and unneeded climbing on rides". I chuckled and agreed.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have to mix it up or I get burned out and hit the wall... I'm not into running, but I have an elliptical. I do the pre-programmed workouts that vary the speed, resistance, and elevation, but... If I crank the intensity and elevation up to the maximum, I can only push about 30 steps per minute. The screen has a simulated track, so I do 300 yards at max intensity and then 100 yards cool down at low resistance... Repeat for 15 minutes or so. It does wonders for stamina on the bike. The benefits come quick...

Yesterday I did a similar approach on the bike... There is a short road climb in O'Neill that is around 2 minutes out of the saddle on the SS. Take the twisty single track down for fun, and repeat 8 times.

Nothing prepares me for the death marches like intervals...

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm so lucky...I have totally flat streets for a minimum of 7 miles in any direction from my house. :cool:

Nothing can prepare me for a death march. :bang:

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Road bike, hard gear, and a timer... I think it's easier to get the workout on the hills, but it's the same concept on the road bike. Just get the heart rate up for a certain time period, cool down briefly, and repeat.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I don't ride streets if I can avoid it. Anywhere, any time. Way too many deaths. I'm the guy whose wife was almost hit in our DRIVEWAY in a 25 mph residential area. Too many tards behind the wheel.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/clark-744072-niguel-laguna.html

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?