My 11 Kokopelli Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MCB2K, Jan 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    1. Bring only what you truly need. I over packed a bit last year.

2. DO include a warm jacket for camp time. I brought a down parka, and it was really nice to have when the sun went down. It’s late spring, so the temperature swings can be dramatic.

3. If you are bringing electronics, plan for recharging. The charging station Bikerpelli provides is good but limited. It doesn’t do any good on the trail. I’m investing in portable chargers. The Anker 10,000 maH (http://www.anker.com/product/79AN7917-WA)one works pretty good. I think this year I’ll bring 3 of them, and carry a fresh one each day. Last year, I bought the cheap “stick” kind (like 3800 maH) and they didn’t work out so well.

4. If you are using a phone to Stava/Endomondo/MapMyRide etc… bring a 3 foot charging cable on the trail with #3 above. My Endomondo will kill my iPhone 6 in about 3 hours, so I tether it to the external battery.

5. Butt Butter, lot’s of Butt Butter! I used the Chamois Butt’r Eurostyle (http://chamoisbuttr.com/eurostyle/). Buy the tub and a 12 pack of the mini’s. In the morning, I do a 3 finger dip and slather it all over my chamois. The excess, you’ll figure it out… it may or may not involve touching yourself. I always carry a mini or 2 in my pack. You can also put one in you sag bag. At lunch, the mini packs are perfect for “refreshing” your chamois. I didn’t have any chafing last year.

6. If you are doing the “GoPro Thing”, bring extra batteries. They will die, as there is a crap ton of places you’ll want video. I plan to bring 2 per/camera (morning/afternoon) and a charging cradle. The portable chargers in 3 above will charge 2 batteries a few times.

7. If you have a point and shoot, bring it. Put it in a place where it is easily accessible. Last year I didn’t, and I regretted it. I managed to get some good stuff with my iPhone, but not nearly the quality a good P&S camera will give, not to mention resolution. I have a LowePro case that works great on my shoulder strap.

8. Gopro cameras… test your mounts and settings. Have a plan for your footage before you get to the ride. Last year I ended up with a lot of footage, but all from the same POV. Making an interesting video was a challenge. Mixing multiple POV angles, 3rd person and stills is definitely the way to go.

9. Bring a small pack of baby/personal area wipes. They are awesome at the end of the day and 1st thing in the morning for giving you that “fresh feeling” where it counts.

10.Sunscreen – I brought 2, 50 SPF for my neck/head/face and 30SPF for my arms/legs. Find what works for you ahead of time. DO NOT SKIMP… high quality stuff does make a difference.

11.TEST TEST TEST. Any systems/gear/techniques you plan to use, try them ahead of time. Having things worked out ahead of time will reduce stress on the trail and make the experience more enjoyable.

Luis, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 10 others like this.
  2. YETIKK

YETIKK Member

Name:
    Keith Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB100
    This year I'm ditching the 20 degree mummy bag for a 40 degree square bag. I sweated myself awake all three nights last year with the warmer bag. And then chattered myself back to sleep. Don't be afraid to stuff a real pillow or two in your duffel as well. The size they allow pretty much allows for just about any kitchen sink. But as Brian stated, don't just bring stuff for the sake of bringing stuff. Just prioritize your anticipated needs well.

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Thanks for the tips, answered quite a few of my questions. Looks like I need to go spend some more money.

Sasquatch9billion, MCB2K and rossage like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Other and acknowledging tips:
    1. Bring a RD Hanger specific for your bike. You WILL regret it if you bend or break it and day one can do that very thing...
    2. I abhor Butt Butter and will make fun of you for using it.... Just thought I would throw that in there...:whistling:;)
    3. Tires are a big talk all the time. Don't skimp on new tires. Getting a flat out there stresses you out, cuz you are "Out There". Sidewall tears are the big trip wrecker! Get good tires.
    4. Fresh Brake Pads and a spare pair.
    5. I too over pack, every year.
    6. I sweated my azz off in my sleeping bag every night. Good call above...
    7. Unique Duffel, Sag Bag, and camp chair... Your tired your looking for your stuff amongst 89 others. Make them unique.

Add to this as I find time...

Luis, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  5. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I caught Mikie putting sand in his shorts... Guy is friggin hardcore. :eek::Do_O

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Oaken and 7 others like this.
  6. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Wow, you learn something every day: butt butter. If my wife found out I used that, she'd disown me. :eek:

So the point is this event is over 50 miles or what, that's why you need the butt butter?

Mikie likes this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

For 2 reasons.

1. Helps your skin not absorb the excess moisture that routinely happens in bike shorts.

2. It helps with chaffing caused by ill fitting shorts by eliminating points of friction.

It is helpful for long rides and rides in the heat or wet.

Most of it is marketed as Chamois Creame.

Luis, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Creame, with an 'e', makes it sound so sensual.....mmmmm, creame.

Years ago, chamois were actually soft leather that was sewn into cycling shorts. In between rides this stuff would stiffen up, so you'd need to moisturize it before you rode. If not, it may be uncomfortable for a while until your ass sweat lubed it for you.
    Most shorts today have synthetic pads and the "creame"-ooh la la-is for comfort.
    Rub some " creame"- oh my! on your chamois and your taint and you are good to go.

9. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    There were several people who regretted not creameing their shorts last year. (see what I did there) Some complaints of rash like symptoms to bleeding, boil like stuff. Eww.

I'm not ashamed to be a creamer. :thumbsup::eek::Roflmaoo_O

10. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I've always wanted to ask this but never bothered. I feel so enlightened now. I was always a little confused how it got the name chamois or chamois butter.

Mikie and rossage like this.
  11. erjzacher

erjzacher Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    I was one of those people. The 10 hour drive home was a bit uncomfortable. But I attribute most of the "rash like symptoms" to cheap shorts and poor riding position. We'll see this year.

Mikie likes this.
  12. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    I wear "expensive" (Jett Hornets) shorts... and I use the "creame" for 1 hour rides. It does make a difference. I have on occasion ridden "dry" and it's noticeably less comfortable. Don't knock the creame until you you've tried it is all I'm saying. My bet is you'll see it as an essential part of
    your cycling experience... unless your @Mikie.

BTW... love that new ride you bought!

Mikie and erjzacher like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I used Butt Butter once................................................ONCE!
    Felt like I let go of a Burrito Beer Fart in my shorts that went very VERY wrong, and then had to ride in it for the next 4 hours!:gag:
    Never again... Never, never again.

herzalot and MCB2K like this.
  14. YETIKK

YETIKK Member

Name:
    Keith Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB100
    Good Creme' should not do that. You sure it wasn't Crisco?

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Mikie, erjzacher, MCB2K and 1 other person like this.
  16. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI_4NwtjLqufiiKW8_o967Snuqk3kfretylfnOodK5nApVRsjeKg.jpg
    youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg
    You_re_Doing-it-wrong_.jpg
    Funny-Cycling-46.jpg

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Body Glide is by far the best. It applies like a stick deodorant and leaves no residue. It lasts for as long as you are on the saddle.Screenshot_2016-01-23-06-29-50-1.png

Mikie, Faust29 and erjzacher like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Rox's :poop::poop::poop::poop: posts have nothing on you guys. But, UPSed is correct. The stick is the way to go! :whistling:

UPSed and Mikie like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess only menly men don't need a saddle lube... I say just toughen up yo azz... Just sayin...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:<--Multiple Eye Rolls.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  20. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Back on Tips... Addressing #3 above, here's my battery strategy:

For my phone, on the trail, I bought 3 of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X1Y7I2/?tag=imtbtrails-20
    • Adds over one charge (14 hours talktime) to an iPhone 6, almost one full charge to a Galaxy S6 or one full charge to most other phones.
    This should get me through everyday with my Endomondo in tact and give sufficient power in case of an emergency.

For my camera batteries, I have 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=imtbtrails-20
    • Ultra-High Capacity: Weighs as little as a can of soup (12.5 oz) yet charges the iPhone 6s seven times, the Galaxy S6 five times or the iPad mini 4 twice.
    These will go in my camp duffel, and be used to top all my batteries off each night.

And I will carry one of these on the trail: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009USAJCC/?tag=imtbtrails-20
    • Charges the iPad Air almost once, the Galaxy S5 two and a half times, the iPhone 5s four and a half times and other smartphones multiple times.
    I'll use this to recharge GoPro batteries on the move. I've tested it, and expect I can get 3 full recharges of 2 Hero 4 batteries out of it.

Last year my IPhone died every afternoon, and I only had one GoPro battery. This year, I'll be powered the entire ride. I have found the Anker products to be high quality, and work as advertised. There are other brands out there, and you might save a couple bucks, but beware, some of the portable chargers don't last or work as advertised.

rossage, Luis, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    LMAO, tears of laughter!!!

MCB2K likes this.
  22. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

I think you enjoyed writing the above a little toooo much

MCB2K, rossage and Runs with Scissors like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I did an experiment on the TdPS last weekend. I have never before used "creame." But from 70 miles or so onward, to the 130 mile ride I did once, my azz would lose skin.

So the first 50 miles I used none. At the SAG stop about halfway, I applied the "creame." DZ Nuts. What difference that made. I'm sold.

I finished that century with very little discomfort, and that only because I didn't use it from the start.

I'm sold.

MCB2K and mtnbikej like this.
  24. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    0ff49113f737f6725161e579f345863f0a8b6d82d260aca7a3726c18b760b024.jpg
    63738581.jpg
    one-day-we-will-stop-winning-but-today-is-not-that-day.jpg
    53651934.jpg

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  25. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    This thread made my morning...

MCB2K likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?