Mt. Zion . . . The Mini Epic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Mt. Zion
    Los Angeles just doesn't deserve dirt this good! Well, maybe they do and I'm just jealous. The more that I think about it . . . certainly guys like rossage, Tom the Bomb and the Bomb Squad do! Yeah . . . . I'm just jealous!

Third trip out to the Gabes, and third time I wish they were closer. Lucky for guys like me, they are only an hour and 15 minutes away!

Me driving there...
    mt_zion_1.jpg

This was a short ride. Lately I've been getting more rides in and starting to feel a bit stronger. Mile for mile this is Epic material. Unfortunately we only got in just under 9 miles. Yeah...bummer huh!

Proof: http://app.strava.com/activities/110241183

The good news is that I was in very good company!

Roster: Rossage, Tom the Bomb, Hill^billy, Joe Mac, Derrick, Adam, and yours truly. Another guy started out with us but got a text and had to split to pick up his sick daughter from school only about a mile or two into it. (bummer!)

Starting from Chantry Flats Parking Lot, we headed out the same way we did the last time. This time around it wasn't a clear sunny day but a very moist overcast day with lots of fuzzy clouds hanging out around the peaks. This meant the dirt was hero but the rocks, and boulders, and tree limbs on the trail were very slippery. I actually have not ridden a lot of that type of conditions so at times I was a little nervous but it all ended up fine and I got back to my stoopid "bomber then assess" riding style... :?

Ross aka rossage aka Vaporman! Sporting a Marine cut and pretending a Clif Bar is is wad of "chew".
    mt_zion_2.jpg

Derrick with kinda a "Back to the Future" look on his face.
    mt_zion_3.jpg

Misty Trails today.
    mt_zion_4.jpg mt_zion_5.jpg

mt_zion_6.jpg

Ross looking all biz like drying his stuff and taking pics.
    mt_zion_7.jpg

Tom the Bomb before his parrot green and flourescent yellow days.
    mt_zion_8.jpg

Doug aka Hill^Billy!
    mt_zion_9.jpg

Joe Mac aka uhhhh... Joe Mac!mt_zion_10.jpg

Tom thr Bomb coming back from checking on some of the Bomb Squad.
    mt_zion_11.jpg

mt_zion_12.jpg

The Trail ahead of us.
    mt_zion_13.jpg

mt_zion_14.jpg

Adam!mt_zion_15.jpg

All the vegetation was wet, and as we climbed up the singletrack if you brushed against anything you were slightly cold but certainly wet as well. Not exactly jacket weather . . . but close. Rossage brought a sweet carbon hardtail Speshy with these bald looking tires for floating around on desert trails from his last adventure. I thought they had little to very little tread on them. The sidewalls were so soft, they could have been Roger Rabbit Tires. Just as we got started up the trail a mile or two, rossage decided he needed some drama with a flat tire. Enough so that after a couple of attempts to seal it up with Stan's, he put a tube in it. The others went on while Derrick and I hung out with Ross as he fixed his flat. All got past the waterfall drop without incident.

We all took off again, I think Tom the Bomb was leading, Rossage next, then me. I came around a corner and Mr. Magic Flight is on the ground? What the? Washed his front wheel right off the trail. I didn't think it was possible for the Pure Porker :), yeah, he's that good. None the less after readjusting his bars, again we are off and running. then we got to "The Climb". I thought it was awesome. Certainly not like the "Other Trail" the last time! This had lots of switchbacks. I liked it!

When we got to the top of that we grabbed some grub and watched the steam rise up off our bodies from the sweat combining with the cool very moist air. All accounted for we bombed some amazing sections. Felt like I was in the Enchanted Endor Forest. It was amazing, but very dark under a heavy canopy of trees.

We connected with Gabrialina Trail<--spelling? and bombed back down to the bottom. But not without riding rossage's azz and giving him smack about riding a hardtail with squishy balloon tires out of a cartoon, when sphiiishhhhhh! Another flat! It wasn't rossage's day! I have to admit, it's fun to give rossage fashizzle, I know he would, and does, give it right back. Today happen to be my turn... :lol:

Did the infamous street climb back up to the Chantry Flats parking lot. Feeling very fresh it was no where near as tough as the first time I was on it. Plus, I knew what to expect.

Adam Ant
    mt_zion_16.jpg

This an Epic pic of Ross under a forest canopy and golden fall leaves.
    mt_zion_17.jpg

A tricky switchback.
    mt_zion_18.jpg

Adam cuts his own survivor path and survives!mt_zion_19.jpg

Joe Macmt_zion_20.jpg

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ...next

mt_zion_40.jpg

mt_zion_39.jpg

mt_zion_38.jpg

mt_zion_37.jpg

mt_zion_36.jpg

mt_zion_35.jpg

mt_zion_34.jpg

mt_zion_33.jpg

mt_zion_32.jpg

mt_zion_31.jpg

mt_zion_30.jpg

mt_zion_29.jpg

mt_zion_28.jpg

mt_zion_27.jpg

mt_zion_26.jpg

mt_zion_25.jpg

mt_zion_24.jpg

mt_zion_23.jpg

mt_zion_22.jpg

mt_zion_21.jpg

scan likes this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ...next

Some had time constraints today. I was ready for another 15 miles of that stuff. But knowing rossage and Tom the Bomb, another crazy Epic of great magnitudinal proportion is just around the corner....

Bike On!
    ~Mikie

mt_zion_44.jpg

mt_zion_43.jpg

mt_zion_42.jpg

mt_zion_41.jpg

4. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great short ride but worth it for the flat practice. Nothing like having a smart ass shouting out unnecessary instructions while you're trying to change a flat! Captain obvious strikes again!

Heres a pic of a sandwich I ate. I hope it is as interesting as yours was.

20140128_103226.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    :lol: Rossage, your Sandwich looks good! Did it taste out of focus?

But to be fair, no one ever see's the complete blunders I make cuz I'm always behind the camera. This is me completely flailing like a short yellow bus passenger on a tight hairpin switchback on my nimble 26'er, where the "MIGHTY" rossage cleaned it like a pro on his big hooped 29'er. Rossage is just an outstanding cyclist! (You just HAD to take the pictures . . . didn't you Joe Mac)

mikie_floundering.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_2.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_5.jpg

6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Awesome day Mikey ! Man you don't mess around! Get right on that rr. Riding with such good friends makes riding on the weekends such a blast. Good rolls on the waterfall. Ya that was the first thing I heard from everyone who had been here before. Where is that waterfall drop? Loved watching Adams little mishaps
    :) . I think Derrick had a good time, he will be back, great rider. Nice rock roll by Doug too. Such a great feeling of accomplishment when you do scketchy stuff. Must be why riding is so satisfying. Working on the pics.
    You guys are the best.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Joe Mac took some pics and even a 30 second video off hi iPhone when I dropped off the Waterfall on the Chantry Climb and then sent them to me. The drop is really no big deal, but since he sent it to me, I thought what the heck? It's narrated by rossage himself and no I didn't drop my seatpost :lol: .

Joe Mac stated that he has an absolute blast riding with these crazy guys, and can't wait til the next time! I agree!
    Vid of Hill^billy:
    [vimeo]85668897[/vimeo]

Vid of Mikie:
    [vimeo]85628878[/vimeo]

Picage:

mt_zion_02.jpg

mt_zion_01.jpg

hb_mt_zion_1.jpg

adam_mt_zion_1.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_6.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_8.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_1.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_3.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_7.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_4.jpg

mikie_mt_zion_9.jpg

Oaken likes this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Very picturesque. Like I said I could ride this place every week. Having a problem getting my pics to the comp. Hopefully soon. Joe you are great co.
    /Users/thomascosgrove/Desktop/dougIMG_0242.MOV

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Mikie likes this.
  9. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Name:
    Hans
    Nice report. I rode Zion yesterday as part of a big epic ride that included much of the Gabrielino Trail too.

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Tom the Bomb! You got some grrrreat pics. That one of Adam doing the rock roll off and Joe Mac in action are particularly suhweet!! :cool:

Let's go again! ...and again ...and again ...and again ...and...

11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya damn looking at this rr makes me wanna go noooow! That is Adam Ant doing the rock roll before he went crooked :D

Mikie likes this.
  12. JoeMac

JoeMac New Member

Name:
    Joe McDaniels
    Great ride guys! Amazing single track and it is nice to get out of the desert for a change of scenery. Tom, thanks for the pics and great riding with you and the other guys. Mikie, I know you hadn't been punished enough but I was ok with wrapping it up after 9 miles. Remember most of it was uphill? Look forward to the next one!

Mikie likes this.
  13. Willi-D

Willi-D Active Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Super Red!
    I sure would have liked to ride this with you guys! Killer ride and a great group!!!

Mikie likes this.
  14. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yep, beautiful place. Thanx for the pics and report!

Mikie likes this.
  15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    There is an easy way to add 6 miles to this ride . 3 up and 3 down to end. We will do it next time. It adds an hour to the ride. :shock:

Mikie likes this.
  16. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    hey this is a nice report guys !!! and beautiful pics !!! glad to see you guys had and awesome ride !

Mikie likes this.
  17. BCrummett

BCrummett Active Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    Awesome RR. I love that trail. The riding out here in the Gabes for the past 2 weeks has been RIDICULOUS!!! :mrgreen:

Mikie likes this.