Mountain Lion above Luge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DBMX119, Jul 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I did a search and didn't see anything on it, so if its a duplicate Mods, please combine.

This has been making the rounds on Facebook the last few days. Apparently someone had an encounter with a big kitty on STT above the Luge.

Yeah it was a pretty gnarly deal. My buddy Eric rides there later quite a bit after work, and was heading up the climb past the Luge when he saw the lion crouched down in the bushes creeping on him. He got off his bike to flip around and bail out of there when it came out of the bushes and started backing him up hill on the trails. My buddy stood his bike up on the rear tire to try and get it to move, but he said it was not budging. Totally unafraid and straight eyeballing him. He started to chuck rocks, yelling etc and then it finally went into the bushes. So Eric took the open chance to start booking it down the trail, he looked back and the cat was chasing him, he lost control and ate it into the side of the trail. He had another face off doing all he could to get it to take off back into the bushes once again. So gnarly. He said he's never been so afraid, thinking for sure it was not going to end very well. I told him he needs to report the incident to the forest service.

I don't know if trying to "book it down the trail" was the smartest idea...

Anyone else have any info? Any other sightings? It seems like this cat is either not afraid of people, or is REALLY hungry. Either way, that is bad news.

MrGreedom, Mikie, kioti and 7 others like this.
  2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    It is hard to completely trust second hand news, although the woman who posted her friend's story is legit. Very odd behavior for a mountain lion though.

3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    There are lions in them thar hills. Remember a woman survived an attack several yrs ago there and a man was killed the same day. One reason I don't like to "ride alone".

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Holy Moley... Maybe my solo jaunts up Cadillac aren't such a great idea. (Cadillac is the really lonely remote way to get above the Luge for our non-OC readers and it gains something like 1900 feet in 2 miles)

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Pfffffffttttt......mountain lions. :rolleyes:

MrGreedom, Mikie, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Always cats there; though that seems pretty aggressive. Maybe a kill nearby?
    Kioti probably knows more about the Luge area than anyone.

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just squirt em with water, cats HATE water! :thumbsup:

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds like a good time to beat the crowd.

MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  9. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he was protecting a kill or maybe some cubs?

10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    They are there, if they want you, they will have you. Advice below says for bears, but same concept for mountain lions. And it doesn't really matter if you have a knife or anything else, if they really want you.....

13726666_1226115384073927_137656968268822007_n.jpg

Mikie, OTHRider, konakc and 7 others like this.
  11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My advice is to stay away from that area and give it time to move on.

MrGreedom, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll take that advice and skip the Old Camp run I was considering for tomorrow... :stop:

MrGreedom, Mikie, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  13. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I was thinking of Old Camp too!!! ..........Negative

MrGreedom, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    No need to worry. Just ride somewhere out of the area. Just about as far as the cat probably is from that area about now. :sneaky:

15. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Yeah? You don't have to tell me twice. Haha. I'll stay out of there for a while for sure.

MrGreedom, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    So here I am up at 5am getting ready for a 6am run up STT to Luge......first ride this week.
    think I'll take this advice and just do a couple Whiting loops instead.

A few years ago I was heading to the Luge and had a rider tell me they encountered a Cat on the Luge trail while descending. Difference here is the apparent aggression.

17. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I posted a sign this morning on the STT gate, warning of the mountain lion and it's behavior (if it's the same one). I'd usually consider it extremely fortunate to see a mountain lion around here, but the apparent lack of fear and following of riders is troubling. My concern is both for the safety of trail users and that of the mountain lions.

MrGreedom, Mikie, DBMX119 and 7 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Exactly... I'd love to see one, but it sounds like this isn't the particular lion I'd like to come across. We had the same issue with alligators in Florida. They were, quite literally, everywhere that there was water. Normally, they are spooked by humans. As soon as they are not, and stand their ground, it's a different issue.

One of the funniest images that I'll never forget... My head custodian sweeping one off the high school quad with a broom early in the morning before the kids arrived. o_O

MrGreedom, Mikie, DBMX119 and 3 others like this.
  19. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    eat one yuppy and an hour later your hungry again

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    not if you are the dude in Revanant... then swim and be all better...

21. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Its about how I feel about riding the luge at the moment. Adding to the fact that cougars have a territory range between 58-300 sq miles.

tick, MrGreedom, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Mountain lions are always out there. We just don't see them all the time but they do. I wouldn't worry about this. Keep riding if anything just make sure you bring a friend that's smaller and slower than you.

MrGreedom, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  23. Natester

Natester Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Nate Lindsey
    Current Bike:
    Expert Stumpy
    I was out night riding last Tuesday about 10:30 pm with 3 friends (one week ago) and saw a big lion. I was coming down from Jeep about 1/4 to 1/2 mile above the top of the Luge. I seemed to have scared it as it ran quickly into the bushes. It scared me pretty good and had my adrenaline pumping. I've never seen one let alone that close. It was probably 10 feet from me.

ScottV, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Bet ya had to wash your chamois twice after that ride!

Faust29, Mikie and Natester like this.
  25. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Damn.... and I was just going to make a post asking if the initial "sighting" makin ghe rounds was a hoax since no one else has seen one and no one that I know who forwarded the message actually knew who wrote the first one (it was always a friend of a friend of a friend who knew someone.....)

Looks like I'll do a different ride tomorrow evening.

26. Natester

Name:
    Nate Lindsey
    Current Bike:
    Expert Stumpy
    Yes it was legit and I saw someone post on Strava the handwritten warning and that is how I found this forum I was checking to see if anyone else saw it.

Mikie, kioti, DBMX119 and 2 others like this.
  27. Natester

Name:
    Nate Lindsey
    Current Bike:
    Expert Stumpy
    I could not concentrate going down the luge I kept seeing the image of that lion in my mind.

28. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    just bring a picture of Chuck Norris with you on the next ride. Show it to that lion and it will turn and run like a scared mtb biker that just saw a lion up close IN THE WILD!

MrGreedom, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  29. F@ck cats

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ah, a cat hater. They sense that, you know. Better put some eyes on the back of your helmet, tendervittles. Do you hate coyotes, raptors and PO, too? Better stay inside.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?